Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: New Mutants, #50

With "New Mutants" #50 Dan Abnett, Andy Lanning, Felix Ruiz, and Klebs hit the end of the series, but it doesn't so much end as quietly fade away and keeping the door open for more usage of the concept.

Full review here.

Requiescat in pace.

Three stars? You're kidding, CBR.

Roll up the PARTITION plz Imraith Nimphais's Avatar

"...keeping the door open for more usage of the concept"?

With Sam and Roberto becoming Avengers and the other members supposedly scattered throughout the various x-books...why leave any door open at all? There should not have been a cracked window, even. Going by the current direction of the franchise...does anyone foresee five or six young mutants decidedly breaking away from the JGA and striking out on their own?

The concept of "the New Mutants" as a title is pretty much a finished and closed book, I think.
    Sun and Moon
    Ororo Munroe...God's own X-MAN
    STORM #1...(W) Greg Pak (A/CA) Victor Ibanez. July 2014.

BANNED

I loved how many times Dani told Sam that he's a good friend. That had to hurt.

lol 3 out of 5? They couldn't even be assed to keep the art remotely consistent, on top of a boring story and lack of a resolution!

I only knew that it was Amara telling off Mephisto because of the dialogue in which Mephisto called her by her name. She looked exactly like Illyana, which leads me to believe the artist had no clue who he was drawing. Particularly since Amara at the beginning and end of the book has glasses and no bangs.

Another lame deus ex machina finish from Doug. There's been what, 5 different arcs with that resolution now?

The only good part about this book is DnA's reign of terror is over, and after 50 issues of being pathetic, Bobby finally gets some. Yeah, boy!

Quote Originally Posted by Imraith Nimphais View Post
    "...keeping the door open for more usage of the concept"?

With Sam and Roberto becoming Avengers and the other members supposedly scattered throughout the various x-books...why leave any door open at all?
    But the others are totally unaccounted for in Marvel NOW.

Going by the current direction of the franchise...does anyone foresee five or six young mutants decidedly breaking away from the JGA and striking out on their own?
    I want this SO BAD, but Brevoort recently confirmed over formspring that they still have no interest in a new X-kids book.

At least one or two will show up in Young Avengers.

I thought it was really good. Though I did notice a typo- "then came looking or you."
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

Assimilation or Death Omega Alpha's Avatar

Well, this book was never great, and removing their most popular character (Cannonball) in a book already struggling to find an audience was stupid. Magik, the only other character with a fanbase besides old New Mutant fans, joining Uncanny didn't help either, and only the most hardcore NW fans would follow a book revolving around Cypher and Dany Moonstar.
    Last edited by Omega Alpha; 10-31-2012 at 07:29 PM.
    That's right! Al Gore invented the internet, let's all go kick his ass!

I got your inconvenient truth right here, motherf*&%!

Donald M.

Is this after avx but before marvel now

BANNED

This was so terrible. And Tyro was introduced in the Nova series. The reviewer was incorrect. Worst run on an x-book in a while. I liked Gischler more.

Long Live the Legion Zero Hunter's Avatar

Whoever gave this book 3 stars should be ashamed of themselves. This book has been a massive train wreck since Abnett and Lanning took over. Those guys are good writers and have done alot of stuff I have really liked reading, but my god their whole run was just horrible. And lets not even talk about the art which was ever worse than the writing.

BANNED

Did they mention anything about Sam and Sunspot joining the Avengers?

Quote Originally Posted by Optic Rage View Post
    Did they mention anything about Sam and Sunspot joining the Avengers?
    The last page was a promo for Hickman's Avengers, the cover with a caption "Next Cannonball and Sunspot Assemble in Avengers #1"

So this was...what? Volume 3?

Let's start a betting pool about volume 4.

I take starting in 2014 and lasting 18 issues before cancellation and ending in 2015.
    VIVA KUSASAN!!! Morrison On Magneto: I made him into a stupid old drug-addicted idiot. CC had done a lot of good work over the years to redeem the character. And I went in and sh*t on all of it.