Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie_Jee View Post
    I count two.
    Ahh, yes, Scorpion. Well, Miles had a little help with him.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Number_5 View Post
    Ahh, yes, Scorpion. Well, Miles had a little help with him.
    Is that a problem? I thought that was a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Darman456 View Post
    And Bendis has made Miles into a sort of pet character that can only do things right and have no fatal mistakes made. That is the most irritating thing. It seems Bendis has said that Miles is better than Peter in every way. I can't handle that aspect more than any other. I think, honestly, we need a new writer.
    Miles still thinks that he may have killed his uncle. Not even Peter had to deal with that.

As for the challenges, Miles has yet to battle the likes of Doc Ock and the Green Goblin on his own. A side-effect of Peter's death is that Miles is much more integrated into the super-hero community and can receive a lot more of support.

I count two.
    The Scorpion doesn't count : the feud was between his uncle and Gargan, and Miles could count on his uncle's help.

BANNED

Scorpion is in fact a major villain for Miles. He had an entire arc/tpb named after him; UCSM vol.2 - Scorpion.

I don't see the problem in having Miles team up with the Prowler to defeat Scorpion. Miles is 13 and he really needed the help.

Also, how does having to team up with the Prowler make Scorpion less of a major villain? If anything, it proves just how 'major' he really was.

Oh, and I guarantee that Scorpion will be back next year and will show just how deadly he can be with that hook-chain he wields. It's going to be be awesome.

I just think that Scorpion hasn't been the character-builder that Doc Ock or the Kingpin were to Peter, even though there is still a lot of potential for that in his future.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Don Yoyo View Post
    I just think that Scorpion hasn't been the character-builder that Doc Ock or the Kingpin were to Peter, even though there is still a lot of potential for that in his future.
    I agree, the new Scorpion needs a lot more page time. I saw him as a really powerful opponent. But to my dismay, he went down like a chump, all because Miles touched him. :(

True Superior Spider-Man Kurolegacy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Don Yoyo View Post
    Miles still thinks that he may have killed his uncle. Not even Peter had to deal with that.

As for the challenges, Miles has yet to battle the likes of Doc Ock and the Green Goblin on his own. A side-effect of Peter's death is that Miles is much more integrated into the super-hero community and can receive a lot more of support.
    Actually, as of issue 15, thanks to Maria Hill's explanation of what caused Aaron's death, Miles now knows that he wasn't responsible for his uncle's death.
    Holding out for a Peter/Miles team up.

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    Can anyone come up with a reason why they are always killing off good characters in the Ultimate U? So far we've lost all the Asgardians bar Thor, Utimate Peter Parker and Ultimatum virtually wiped out most of the X Men, leaving a predominantly teen cast.It makes it hard to feel any affection for the characters in case they end up dead!

Which is a pity because I liked Ultimate Dazzler, Ultimate Loki, Ultimate Wasp, Ultimate Wolverine and Nightcrawler among others!
    Because absolutely no one cares if Red Shirt #583 dies. There's no emotional impact when characters who aren't well written bite it, so what's the point of even killing them off other than to whittle down the roster?
    Favorite of the 52 In Order: Wonder Woman, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Aquaman, Action Comics

Is that a problem? I thought that was a good thing.
    That's not a problem at all. I'm arguing against the notion that Bendis has Miles set up as some kind of Mary Sue or perfect, flawless, pet Spider-Man, and saying that it's still too soon to make this judgment because Miles hasn't had as much opportunity to make a fatal mistake like Peter did by getting unmasked, or getting beat up or shot. We've had only one or two major villains so far, then this even took over.

Quote Originally Posted by Number_5 View Post
    That's not a problem at all. I'm arguing against the notion that Bendis has Miles set up as some kind of Mary Sue or perfect, flawless, pet Spider-Man, and saying that it's still too soon to make this judgment because Miles hasn't had as much opportunity to make a fatal mistake like Peter did by getting unmasked, or getting beat up or shot. We've had only one or two major villains so far, then this even took over.
    Some folks already have the idea of they hate Miles( or just want Peter back ) and refuse to acknowledge anything that doesn't show him in a bad light

Quote Originally Posted by Genki Sudo View Post
    Some folks already have the idea of they hate Miles( or just want Peter back ) and refuse to acknowledge anything that doesn't show him in a bad light
    Nah. Miles has a lot going for him...being a member of the Ultimates (something new and cool), having a new cast of characters (who are actually interesting) along with Peter's old ones and a story that insults neither new readers nor old ones. I just think he's a little overpowered and unrelateable to me. He just doesn't feel like the underdog anymore. That's what I mean by pet character. If he can take 616 Peter, it's clear that Miles is a pet character and far too overpowered.
    "Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"With great power comes great responsibility."

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kamikaze10 View Post
    His story is over. If that is how Bendis feels, then I'm going to respect the creator's wishes on that.
    I don't believe it was Bendis' decision to kill UU Peter Parker. I think it was J(er)Q's idea and Bendis is just doing what most Marvel and DC writers do and put up a good front in order to keep drawing a nice paycheck. The new USM featuring Miles just doesn't have any spark to it. It's like Bendis' heart is not really into writing this series. Marvel and DC are both editorially driven these days. Most of the story ideas don't come from the creative teams on the books, but are originated by the editors. Part of this is ego on the editors' parts, and part of it is to make it easier to do line-wide cross-overs (which inevitably wind up sucking).

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post
    Wow so I guess overwhelming response on these boards is to keep him dead.
    If you look at the number of people who visit these boards at any given time compared to the other Marvel-oriented boards, you will realize that this board represents a very small percentage of people who read Marvel Comics, and are not even a true representation of Ultimate Marvel fans. However, I want Peter Parker back. I don't care how lame the excuse they use, it would be a better story than the first year+ of Miles' has been. (However, Bendis built in the ultimate "rewind/undo" button with the Zodiac Key during the "Death of Spider-man" storyline.)

Quote Originally Posted by Trallis View Post
    Why can't some people realize that the reason they miss Peter so much is because Bendis is a damned good writer? An example of good writing is when you have a completely fictional character DIE, and readers are still sad about that character's death over a year later.
    Not entirely true. In serialized fiction, such as superhero comics and soap operas, so long as the character is treated consistently and the writing is good, writers are pretty interchangable. Granted, if the handling of the characters is inconsistent and the stories and dialogue are generally subpar then the readers/viewers will take notice. We want Peter back because we have an emotional investment in the character. For whatever reason, Miles has failed to win our hearts and minds, even with Bendis writing it. I gave it a dozen issues and nothing, absolutely nothing really interesting happened. Miles is just lame, and Bendis' writing of him is cliché-ridden and dull. It was never that way with Peter Parker.

Quote Originally Posted by atlasjj View Post
    Sadly these threads pop up, what at least once every four-five week? And then you have people argue over the same subject again and again.
    If you put out an exclusive product and disappoint a large percentage of your customers with an ill-conceived redesign, those customers will complain loudly and often.

...Bendis has made Miles into a sort of pet character that can only do things right and have no fatal mistakes made. That is the most irritating thing. It seems Bendis has said that Miles is better than Peter in every way. I can't handle that aspect more than any other. I think, honestly, we need a new writer.
    Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Actually, as of issue 15, thanks to Maria Hill's explanation of what caused Aaron's death, Miles now knows that he wasn't responsible for his uncle's death.
    Is her last name Hill or maybe she has a brother named Basil? You know -- as in Basil Exposition?

Peter Parker needs to be Spider-man, no matter what universe he's set in. Anyone else is just a guy in a suit.

True Superior Spider-Man Kurolegacy's Avatar

Nah. Miles has a lot going for him...being a member of the Ultimates (something new and cool), having a new cast of characters (who are actually interesting) along with Peter's old ones and a story that insults neither new readers nor old ones. I just think he's a little overpowered and unrelateable to me. He just doesn't feel like the underdog anymore. That's what I mean by pet character. If he can take 616 Peter, it's clear that Miles is a pet character and far too overpowered.
    I've gotta agree here that when it comes to Miles' story, things have simply worked out for him a little too much in the 16 issues of his story thus far. To list some of them out, he was the deciding factor to taking down Electro when no one, not even Jessica (who has Peter's memories and thus his experience with his rogues), survived a room full of gang members shooting at him in his first experience with armed enemies without even getting hurt by the bullets, defeated a Peter Parker who's been Spider-Man at least 10 years, impressed Captain America more of his worth in 2 times of meeting him than Peter did in a year of being Spider-Man to the point of jumping past needing training right to member of the Ultimates and was freed of any feelings of guilt at the possibility that he killed his uncle. I like Miles and even I've gotta admit that things have worked out way too conveniently for Miles especially when you compare it to Peter's first 16 issues (which made sense considering that this was supposed to be a darker universe more grounded in reality).
    Holding out for a Peter/Miles team up.

To list some of them out, he was the deciding factor to taking down Electro when no one, not even Jessica (who has Peter's memories and thus his experience with his rogues)
    She hasn't done anything( even in Ultimates and she's on the damn team and it's not her book and if she did we'd most likely be back to the tired argument of she should be themain focus of the book and not Miles in the tired excuse of Peter Parker or nothing argument

survived a room full of gang members shooting at him in his first experience with armed enemies without even getting hurt by the bullets
    Seeing as how he's already taken on a few bad guys with powers one can say he's gotten use to jumping around and it's not like Bendis has shown up every single time he's worn the costume as when asked how long he'd been going out he said a amount that has been way more then actual panel time

defeated a Peter Parker who's been Spider-Man at least 10 years
    Who himself fluctuates in power sets so this is moot as one minute he's getting owned by non powered muggers and the next taking out cosmic deities

impressed Captain America more of his worth in 2 times of meeting him than Peter did in a year of being Spider-Man to the point of jumping past needing training right to member of the Ultimates
    You really think he won't be watched or trained let alone in the Ultimates 24/7?

Especially since and was freed of any feelings of guilt at the possibility that he killed his uncle.
    He didn't so why would we want to see him torture himself over something he didn't do? People also forget that the point of all that was Uncle Aaron's line of "You're Just Like Me" and that makes for more more personal conflicts then feeling guilty over a false murder

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I would really like to see a few characters come back, mostly Wolverine but Peter is in that group as well. As for UCSM hitting it's stride I don't think it's really Miles that is the issue, I just think Bendis has been writing this book for so long that he has run into a bit of a funk. He clearly still can do it, just read the 16.1 issue that came out yesterday, it was one of my favorite issues starring Miles to date. For the most part though I feel like Bendis hands everything to Miles on a silver platter and that makes the stories incredibley contrived in boring to me.

Others may argue that Miles has had to work for what he has achieved but I really don't see it that way and I think a lot of readers would agree with me. I definitely want Miles to stick around forever, but bringing back Peter would certainly increase my enjoyment of the UU.
    I share much of your sentiment. I still find Miles to be incredibly boring. Pretty much his entire story is based around him being in Peter Parker's shadow and never being able to escape it. That gets old really fast and Miles just has no charisma. I'm not against him as a character, but I think bringing Peter Parker back would help Miles do something aside from being a replacement character.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

X-men Supreme