Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Randumbz View Post
    they showed Peter in Valhalla, so he's definitely dead. But it would be cool if he somehow came back, disguised himself and became the scarlet spider
    I don't hate this idea...
    Founder and member of the Spidey 500 Club: Class of 2013.

Come join the club!

True Superior Spider-Man Kurolegacy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post
    I don't hate this idea...
    I'd love that kind of idea. It'd be an interesting way of Ultimizing Scarlet Spider having Peter dye his hair, and take on the alias of Ben Reilly.
    Holding out for a Peter/Miles team up.

I personally love Miles and am really looking forward to see him develop further.

You got your Peter Parker in 616, noir, the first, what, 10 years of ultimate, along with 40+ years of 616 back story. Leave Ultimate alone. Dont like it, dont read it.
    Last edited by Plawsky; 11-21-2012 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Language

BANNED

I hate miles moreles so much, worst spidey ever. Yes, I want Peter to come back because 616 spidey is boring me to tears recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Leocomix View Post
    Not me. Bagley can't draw. And Miles is much more interesting.
    Plus Pichelli is better than Bagley.

Peter Parker is over at Amzing Spider-Man, anyone that wants to read about him can read that. Ultimate Spider-Man has been excellent with Mile Morales and Miles is here to stay. Ultimate Peter is dead and should stay dead.

Miles has proven to be rather popular and has even drawn in new readers.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Frog View Post
    I actually meant that last part as a joke; But Jessica does have all of Peter's memories, I assume that she would still be in love with MJ. I think it would be pretty cool if they hooked MJ and Jessica up.
    Jessica did mention she had feelings for MJ.
    Last edited by Venom Melendez; 11-21-2012 at 02:42 PM.

Pichelli's fashion designs are wonderful. Her pictures are pretty. Her action scenes are static and un-dynamic. Bagley is a much, much better action artist than she is, and he's also a better sequential artist and story-teller.

Miles' sales have been better than post-Ultimatum USM, pretty much up to pre-USM numbers, but sort of uppy-downy, sorta like treading water in a cross-current. I don't see this as him as drawing in a legion of new readers. I think that, unless they keep working gimmicks the numbers on USM will eventually slide downward. Miles is just boring. Month after month, nothing really happens for him. He needs a new writer if he's going to survive as long as Ultimate Peter Parker did.

Quote Originally Posted by Venom Melendez View Post
    Miles has proven to be rather popular and has even drawn in new readers.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong on this, but from what I've seen USM is having the lowest sales it has in its existence right now.

Edit: Yea in October it was number 57. I can't ever recall seeing it that low during Bendis/Bagley's run.
    October 2004: 7
    October 2005: 13
    October 2006: 18
    October 2007: 20
    October 2008: 42
    October 2009: 24
    October 2010: 55
    October 2011: 37

I wouldn't say that Miles is bringing in new readers...I'd say he is shedding old readers.
    Last edited by Chris S.; 11-22-2012 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Sales numbers added

Come join the club!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Heroid View Post
    Pichelli's fashion designs are wonderful. Her pictures are pretty. Her action scenes are static and un-dynamic. Bagley is a much, much better action artist than she is, and he's also a better sequential artist and story-teller.

Miles' sales have been better than post-Ultimatum USM, pretty much up to pre-USM numbers, but sort of uppy-downy, sorta like treading water in a cross-current. I don't see this as him as drawing in a legion of new readers. I think that, unless they keep working gimmicks the numbers on USM will eventually slide downward. Miles is just boring. Month after month, nothing really happens for him. He needs a new writer if he's going to survive as long as Ultimate Peter Parker did.
    That's the nature of comicbook sales. After #1 is released, it's to be expected that from then on, sales will generally decline.

Edit - Also, Miles Morales and his series are currently Marvel's third top selling solo book.
    Last edited by Robbie_Jee; 11-22-2012 at 08:50 AM.

He needs a new writer if he's going to survive as long as Ultimate Peter Parker did.
    If you put a new writer on this book it is dead in the water. People buy the book because it has Bendis' name on the cover. You replace him and you loose all those readers. The only way this would work is if you brought on another big name writer who would actually bring in new readers. There are not many that'd bring in more than Bendis though.

Come join the club!

Quote Originally Posted by chunkypack87 View Post
    I personally love Miles and am really looking forward to see him develop further.

You got your Peter Parker in 616, noir, the first, what, 10 years of ultimate, along with 40+ years of 616 back story. Leave Ultimate alone. Dont like it, dont read it.
    Not to mention bringing Peter back would just be bad writing. It'd be really cheap and pandering to do so soon. I'm not saying never. I'm just saying that bringing him back would just be really stupid, crappy writing at this point. Like I said, I miss the old Ultimate X-Men. But I at least care about the story having some guts and integrity by leaving them dead. There is no way to undo those stories without it being really stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by refrax5 View Post
    Not to mention bringing Peter back would just be bad writing. It'd be really cheap and pandering to do so soon. I'm not saying never. I'm just saying that bringing him back would just be really stupid, crappy writing at this point. Like I said, I miss the old Ultimate X-Men. But I at least care about the story having some guts and integrity by leaving them dead. There is no way to undo those stories without it being really stupid.
    I do agree that bringing characters back from the dead really cheapens the story. That is why I just don't feel writers should kill characters. If they do it should be ambiguous to open the door for their return.

Come join the club!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post
    If you put a new writer on this book it is dead in the water. People buy the book because it has Bendis' name on the cover. You replace him and you loose all those readers. The only way this would work is if you brought on another big name writer who would actually bring in new readers. There are not many that'd bring in more than Bendis though.
    Which is entirely the problem with comics these days. The stories were better when everything was written "work-for-hire" from the "bullpen". Comics shipped on time when you had a "bullpen" artist who could step in and complete an issue if the regular artist got behind. These days all people want to read is the crap that "superstar" writers and artists put out. If you buy a non-creator-owned comic just because of whose name is on it, you're buying crap because that guy doesn't really give a damn about the title and the characters; he's just trying to build his rep so he can get more $$$ to sign "exclusive" to one of the Big Two. This rule doesn't apply for creator-owned because those are the books that people tend to put their heart and soul into. For instance, Powers was a far better series than anything Bendis has done for Marvel (with the exception of the first couple of years of USM).

That said, if you want to keep "superstar" creators on Marvel and DC books, then do it the right way. Let every title stand alone. Don't try to shoehorn the Punisher into the latest Avengers event, it doesn't work. X-men titles don't tie into each other. You don't have to explain why Wolverine is in Avengers and X-men because the two books don't really relate to each other. Have the creators submit ideas for multi-issue arcs that can literally have anything happen, even the death of the title character. At the end of that, reboot the character with the next creative team. That way Peter Parker doesn't have to be Spider-man -- anyone can be for an arc or two. Then even if a character has been killed off, he/she can be brought back without jumping through hoops. Want to see how things would have gone if Peter Parker had been raised by his parents? You can do that. Want to see a WWII Spider-man -- there you go! Forget the decades of burdensome continuity. Let every comic be like All-Star Superman (easily the best Superman story I've ever read). If you want the best stories the big names can turn out, turn those guys loose. Remember: every single superhero comic story you've ever read is imaginary. None of them really happened.

But if you're going to keep a serialized universe going, then you have got to get rid of the "It's Bendis!" mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by chunkypack87 View Post
    You got your Peter Parker in 616
    Not anymore.
    Empty winds scrape on the soul never stop to realize/Animal whisperings intoxicate the night
    Hypnotize the desperate slow motionlight/Wash away into the rain
    Blood, milk and sky....

"Eh, What's up Doc?" Spider-Frog's Avatar

I think that the idea of getting a writer other than Bendis to work on some of the potential Spidey-Spin Offs we've been discussing has some merit. To be honest; While I recognize that Bendis can spin a compelling tale; I've grown tired of his story telling style. Peter stubs his toe, Six Frakkin issues, MJ breaks a nail, Another six Frakkin issues, Really? Everything that has ever happened in the Ultimate Spidey-Verse took place in One Year? I'll be pushing Ninety before Miles hits his Fourteenth Birthday.

Miles is Bendis' baby, I feel he should be allowed to develop the character as he wishes. Personally I would like to see Ultimate Spider-Woman and Ultimate Scarlet Spider featuring Peter/Ben Reilly as an ongoing series under a new Writer(s).

Which is entirely the problem with comics these days. The stories were better when everything was written "work-for-hire" from the "bullpen". Comics shipped on time when you had a "bullpen" artist who could step in and complete an issue if the regular artist got behind. These days all people want to read is the crap that "superstar" writers and artists put out. If you buy a non-creator-owned comic just because of whose name is on it, you're buying crap because that guy doesn't really give a damn about the title and the characters; he's just trying to build his rep so he can get more $$$ to sign "exclusive" to one of the Big Two. This rule doesn't apply for creator-owned because those are the books that people tend to put their heart and soul into. For instance, Powers was a far better series than anything Bendis has done for Marvel (with the exception of the first couple of years of USM).

That said, if you want to keep "superstar" creators on Marvel and DC books, then do it the right way. Let every title stand alone. Don't try to shoehorn the Punisher into the latest Avengers event, it doesn't work. X-men titles don't tie into each other. You don't have to explain why Wolverine is in Avengers and X-men because the two books don't really relate to each other. Have the creators submit ideas for multi-issue arcs that can literally have anything happen, even the death of the title character. At the end of that, reboot the character with the next creative team. That way Peter Parker doesn't have to be Spider-man -- anyone can be for an arc or two. Then even if a character has been killed off, he/she can be brought back without jumping through hoops. Want to see how things would have gone if Peter Parker had been raised by his parents? You can do that. Want to see a WWII Spider-man -- there you go! Forget the decades of burdensome continuity. Let every comic be like All-Star Superman (easily the best Superman story I've ever read). If you want the best stories the big names can turn out, turn those guys loose. Remember: every single superhero comic story you've ever read is imaginary. None of them really happened.

But if you're going to keep a serialized universe going, then you have got to get rid of the "It's Bendis!" mentality.
    This is a well said comment, but the market has created a world where we watch for creators. Heck, books have creators names on the covers almost as big as title names these days. I was in my LCS earlier and looking at the Marvel Now titles. I was checking names on the titles before I picked them up.

This is something that the market and companies have helped to create. Heck the whole Marvel Now idea was born out of creators switching titles. I've heard it suggested a few other places, but I wouldn't mind seeing 12 issue volumes on books with a new creator every 12. It is almost what Ultimates has done.

And I trust in everything Bendis outside of the Marvel U. Powers, Scarlet, and even Brilliant have all been decent reads. I will read anything Brubaker/Philips put out. And I absolutely love Rucka. Anything he writes I will buy without question.

I see your issue, but I'm not sure it is something that needs "fixing".

Come join the club!