Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Trallis View Post
    Why can't some people realize that the reason they miss Peter so much is because Bendis is a damned good writer? An example of good writing is when you have a completely fictional character DIE, and readers are still sad about that character's death over a year later.

Bendis wrote every page of Ultimate Spider-Man and gave you around a decades worth of his interpretation(quite possibly the best interpretation) of a great character that someone else created. Give him a shot writing about a new character that he created himself. I love Peter Parker and his story was awesome. Now I'm reading Miles' story, and loving every single issue, and one of my favorite things about it is that it's completely different than Peter's story.

Aside from the fact that Peter's death was done really well, and the fact that Miles seems to promise me many more years of original spider-man stories, wouldn't it bother you to have them just bring Peter back? He's a great character but he's 100% dead. Every fictional character in the Ultimate Universe knows he's dead. Why would you want to read a story in which a character who dies can just show up again next year? That's cheap story telling.. it assumes the reader is an idiot, and completely insults the long term readers of the comic.

If you really like Peter, why can't you appreciate that his death story was probably the greatest super hero death in Marvel history. The shockwaves of it are still being felt in Miles' book and other books as well. Ultimate Peter died in Death of Spider-Man, but as a fan, how can you read Death of Spider-man and take that huge event as anything other than a celebration of everything that makes Peter Parker/Spider-Man great?
    How does it assume the reader is an idiot? There have been quite a few great resurrection stories over the years. Believing a hero coming back from the dead is no more of a suspension of reality that believing a teen can crawl up glass skyscrapers unassisted and throw dump trucks on top of mutated man-goblins while men made of fire and ice look on.

I also don't think it's fair to assume it is just the writer alone that makes somebody miss the character. The character's are bigger than the writers and will still be around long after we have all passed on ourselves. With that in mind it is reasonable to think that a person would enjoy reading about his/her favorite character in his/her favorite universe. I miss Ultimate Wolverine more than anything in comics, but Loeb's writing is definitely NOT the reason I miss the character. As a matter of fact him being the last person to write the character actually makes me sad, knowing that another more suited writer doesn't have the chance to come tell another great story starring my favorite character.
    1) Find a bad guy
    2) Be Wolverine
    Bring Back Ultimate Wolverine...again!

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    How does it assume the reader is an idiot? There have been quite a few great resurrection stories over the years. Believing a hero coming back from the dead is no more of a suspension of reality that believing a teen can crawl up glass skyscrapers unassisted and throw dump trucks on top of mutated man-goblins while men made of fire and ice look on.

I also don't think it's fair to assume it is just the writer alone that makes somebody miss the character. The character's are bigger than the writers and will still be around long after we have all passed on ourselves. With that in mind it is reasonable to think that a person would enjoy reading about his/her favorite character in his/her favorite universe. I miss Ultimate Wolverine more than anything in comics, but Loeb's writing is definitely NOT the reason I miss the character. As a matter of fact him being the last person to write the character actually makes me sad, knowing that another more suited writer doesn't have the chance to come tell another great story starring my favorite character.
    Dude, Jeph wrote a great Ultimate Wolverine.

Quote Originally Posted by wyokid View Post
    Dude, Jeph wrote a great Ultimate Wolverine.
    One man's opinion. I will admit to this, his death actually had a reason behind it trying to kill Magneto. He died a hero trying to save the world. Other than that the events leading up to his death and how he actually died were either illogical or improbable based on the situation and previously established power levels for Wolverine.
    1) Find a bad guy
    2) Be Wolverine

Elder Member

One man's opinion. I will admit to this, his death actually had a reason behind it trying to kill Magneto. He died a hero trying to save the world. Other than that the events leading up to his death and how he actually died were either illogical or improbable based on the situation and previously established power levels for Wolverine.
    I blame Lindelof for that one.

I thought Jeph wrote Wolverine best in Ultimate X. That's the scene that comes to my mind whenever I think of Ultimate Wolverine.

Sits on the shelf! President Kang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheUltimates09 View Post
    I apologize for getting off topic but i can only imagine what Aunt May, Gwen Stacy, and Mary Jane reaction would b towards spider-woman. I mean come on, would that not freak you the hell out, I know i would, but that's just me. Given time though i think Aunt May would accept spider-woman because that's just the type of woman she is.
    I think May would have another heart attack. Gwen would kick a lot. It'd be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by wyokid View Post
    I blame Lindelof for that one.

I thought Jeph wrote Wolverine best in Ultimate X. That's the scene that comes to my mind whenever I think of Ultimate Wolverine.
    As you like to say on occasion, its canon.
    1) Find a bad guy
    2) Be Wolverine

This again? Really?

Elder Member

Best. Reaction. EVER.

As you like to say on occasion, its canon.
    Oh, I know it's canon. It's just hilarious how Wolverine was dying in one book and surviving a beheading in another XD

Quote Originally Posted by Havok C. View Post
    This again? Really?
    Sadly these threads pop up, what at least once every four-five week? And then you have people argue over the same subject again and again.
    Pull: Avengers, New Avengers, Mighty Avengers, Captain America, Superior Spider-Man, Superior S.M.T.U, Ultimate Universe, Chew, Invincible, Batman & Smallville.

Elder Member

It could be worse, it could be someone wanting Gwen Stacy to be revived in the main universe.

Dude, ask anyone else here, I totally understand how you feel. I didn't really ever enjoy the new direction. However, after giving it a shot, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. But, as it seems with you, I doubt this book will ever feel like it did. And Bendis has made Miles into a sort of pet character that can only do things right and have no fatal mistakes made. That is the most irritating thing. It seems Bendis has said that Miles is better than Peter in every way. I can't handle that aspect more than any other. I think, honestly, we need a new writer.
    "Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"With great power comes great responsibility."

Quote Originally Posted by Darman456 View Post
    Dude, ask anyone else here, I totally understand how you feel. I didn't really ever enjoy the new direction. However, after giving it a shot, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. But, as it seems with you, I doubt this book will ever feel like it did. And Bendis has made Miles into a sort of pet character that can only do things right and have no fatal mistakes made. That is the most irritating thing. It seems Bendis has said that Miles is better than Peter in every way. I can't handle that aspect more than any other. I think, honestly, we need a new writer.
    How is this true, exactly? Miles had plenty of self-doubt over Prowler's death. Maybe it wasn't entirely his fault, but he thought it was. Plus, it's still early. Miles has had one (ONE!) nemesis to tangle with, and then got sucked into a dumb event. Maybe with the next villain or two, Miles can make a "fatal mistake".

Actually, I'm wondering what kind of fatal mistakes you think Peter made that make him "worse" than Miles. Were there any in the first 16 issues?

How can Miles be better than Peter in every way when he couldn't figure out webs until someone handed them to him, and then he's still not smart enough to just go and make some more?

Quote Originally Posted by Number_5 View Post
    How is this true, exactly? Miles had plenty of self-doubt over Prowler's death. Maybe it wasn't entirely his fault, but he thought it was. Plus, it's still early. Miles has had one (ONE!) nemesis to tangle with, and then got sucked into a dumb event. Maybe with the next villain or two, Miles can make a "fatal mistake".

Actually, I'm wondering what kind of fatal mistakes you think Peter made that make him "worse" than Miles. Were there any in the first 16 issues?

How can Miles be better than Peter in every way when he couldn't figure out webs until someone handed them to him, and then he's still not smart enough to just go and make some more?
    Peter was unmasked in the second story arc. And he gets beat up pretty badly by Doc Ock.
    "Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"With great power comes great responsibility."

Quote Originally Posted by Darman456 View Post
    Peter was unmasked in the second story arc. And he gets beat up pretty badly by Doc Ock.
    Ok. And Miles has only fought one major villain/nemesis before getting sucked into an event. Give it some time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Number_5 View Post
    Ok. And Miles has only fought one major villain/nemesis before getting sucked into an event. Give it some time.
    I count two.