Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Default Pandora Hearts Discussion

    I haven't yet picked up any copies of the Pandora Hearts manga volumes yet but the anime is a gemstone. I like what I've seen so far and I can't wait to dig deeper into the anime and find a store with copies of the manga on sell. I like this variation on the elements and themes of Alice in Wonderland and I just wanted to open a thread where we can discuss Pandora Hearts; both the anime and the manga.

    For those who aren't familiar with Pandora Hearts I shall give a bit a of info without spoiling the whole of the story; Oz is a fifthteen year old boy who is being honored at his coming of age ceremony when he is condemned for a sin of which he is unaware of having committed. As judgement is cast upon him the boy is thrown into the depths of a strange prison like realm known as the 'Abyss'.

    The Pandora Hearts series is a lot like the Kingdom Hearts franchise in that it contains the inter-connecting of fairy and legend with the familiar faces of the residents of the Wizard of Oz, Dante's Inferno, Alice in Wonderland and even Greek and Japanese mythology.

  2. #2
    Eleventh Reincarnation Siriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    51,013

    Default

    Wait what?

    Where does Dante's Inferno comes from? And Japanese mythology? Pretty much all the characters are either named after or have a similar role to characters from Lewis Carroll's stories.
    And the only thing that I can think of from Greek mythology is Deimos. And even then, it's also the Queen of Hearts equivalent.
    (Mind you, I haven't watched the anime, so maybe it's anime-exclusive characters that are references to such.)

    Also, it's not really comparable to Kingdom Hearts - those that show up aren't the actual characters from those other things, just equivalent of them or characters named after them.


    With that said, the manga is awesome and everyone should read it, as I have said several times and been sadly ignored.

    Also, in case there is secretly a fanbase of this manga here, I'll pre-emptively ask that stuff that comes up after Retrace 65: Collapse be spoilered. Because being spoiled those revelations would suck.

    Oh, and as advise: Whatever you do, do not visit a wiki about Pandora Hearts, especially the main one. They, for some unfathomable reason, feel that the biggest revelation in the series should be put in the title of character pages.
    Suffering is a fact of life. You survive if you find a reason to endure it.

  3. #3
    The Could-Have-Been King Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Land of Lagom.
    Posts
    32,031

    Default

    Been meaning to check this one out, mostly because Siriel keeps talking about it and we tend to have similar taste.

    Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    Oh, and as advise: Whatever you do, do not visit a wiki about Pandora Hearts, especially the main one. They, for some unfathomable reason, feel that the biggest revelation in the series should be put in the title of character pages.
    Well, all wikis tend to spoil stuff. That's kinda the whole point of wikis: Listing all the information of their entries. Though I expect it's worse for something with a lot of major plot twists.
    "This doesn't look easy. But I bet it is!"
    -Homer Simpson

    "Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck

  4. #4
    Eleventh Reincarnation Siriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    51,013

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Been meaning to check this one out, mostly because Siriel keeps talking about it and we tend to have similar taste.
    Do it! It even has romance!

    And the art is probably my favourite, even if it slips sometimes.

    Also, it doesn't have a million zillion chapters (78 so far), so it doesn't take forever to catch up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Well, all wikis tend to spoil stuff. That's kinda the whole point of wikis: Listing all the information of their entries. Though I expect it's worse for something with a lot of major plot twists.
    Yes.

    But in this case, the spoiler is in the title of the page of a main character.

    So if you search that character's name on Google, you risk getting spoiled. You don't even have to click on the page.
    ...In fairness though, the entire fanbase has pretty much run away with that spoiler and included it in everything. So it's pretty much "Don't look up anything until you've caught up.".
    Suffering is a fact of life. You survive if you find a reason to endure it.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    Wait what?

    Where does Dante's Inferno comes from? And Japanese mythology? Pretty much all the characters are either named after or have a similar role to characters from Lewis Carroll's stories.
    And the only thing that I can think of from Greek mythology is Deimos. And even then, it's also the Queen of Hearts equivalent.
    (Mind you, I haven't watched the anime, so maybe it's anime-exclusive characters that are references to such.)

    Also, it's not really comparable to Kingdom Hearts - those that show up aren't the actual characters from those other things, just equivalent of them or characters named after them.


    With that said, the manga is awesome and everyone should read it, as I have said several times and been sadly ignored.

    Also, in case there is secretly a fanbase of this manga here, I'll pre-emptively ask that stuff that comes up after Retrace 65: Collapse be spoilered. Because being spoiled those revelations would suck.

    Oh, and as advise: Whatever you do, do not visit a wiki about Pandora Hearts, especially the main one. They, for some unfathomable reason, feel that the biggest revelation in the series should be put in the title of character pages.
    Thanks Siriel. I'm certainly going to pick up the manga for Pandora Hearts and also Soul Eater while I'm at it. BTW when I mentioned Kingdom Hearts, I wasn't saying the personas were the actual characters from those games but I ment they they were the equivalent of them as in several fairly tale personalities interacting with each other much like in ABC's Once Upon A Time. I mentioned Greek myth because Pandora hails from the Greeks. Also, if you look between the lines Pandora Heart's has within very subtle allusions to Dante and Japanese legend.

  6. #6
    Eleventh Reincarnation Siriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    51,013

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RoyalTailor View Post
    when I mentioned Kingdom Hearts, I wasn't saying the personas were the actual characters from those games but I ment they they were the equivalent of them as in several fairly tale personalities interacting with each other much like in ABC's Once Upon A Time.
    I was clarifying to avoid anyone going into the manga and expecting the actual characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyalTailor View Post
    I mentioned Greek myth because Pandora hails from the Greeks.
    Oh, right.

    Honestly, Pandora is so overused that it kind of stopped being a reference to anything for me.
    Suffering is a fact of life. You survive if you find a reason to endure it.

  7. #7

    Default

    Well Siriel, I've just finished the third episode of season 1 but seriously the show only lasted for two seasons? There are only 25 episodes while there are over twelve Pandora Hearts manga volumes?

    Anyway, I thought it was really neat how when Alice and Oz made the contract we saw that his Rabbit form is White while her's is Black! That's really snazzy!

  8. #8
    Eleventh Reincarnation Siriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    51,013

    Default

    The manga is monthly and hadn't really hit it's stride when the anime was made, hence the divergence. It's why you should read the manga even if you've watched the anime.
    Suffering is a fact of life. You survive if you find a reason to endure it.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    The manga is monthly and hadn't really hit it's stride when the anime was made, hence the divergence. It's why you should read the manga even if you've watched the anime.
    Oh okay, thanks so much for filling me in on these important points Siriel, I really appreciate it.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •