View Poll Results: What did you think of Ultimate Comics: X-Men #18

Voters
49. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Great! Can't wait for the next issue!

38 77.55%
  • Good. I enjoy where this story is going.

7 14.29%
  • Meh. Could've been better, but I didn't hate it.

4 8.16%
  • Bad. I don't really care for this story.

0 0%
  • Awful. Wish I didn't read it.

0 0%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

It's never really made clear just what Apocalypse is. Sinister was a mutant, but that doesn't mean that Apocalypse is; just like how Phoenix isn't a mutant even though Jean Grey is.
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

On Vacation

Quote Originally Posted by Plawsky View Post
    It's never really made clear just what Apocalypse is. Sinister was a mutant, but that doesn't mean that Apocalypse is; just like how Phoenix isn't a mutant even though Jean Grey is.
    Actually I don't even think it was said that Sinister was a mutant either I think he it was said he was part of the super solider program. The whole Sinister/Apocalypse thing seems like some sort of Loop thing that only affect that one person and it will continue until it succeeds in taking over the world.

Quote Originally Posted by sage6paths View Post
    Actually I don't even think it was said that Sinister was a mutant either I think he it was said he was part of the super solider program. The whole Sinister/Apocalypse thing seems like some sort of Loop thing that only affect that one person and it will continue until it succeeds in taking over the world.
    You may be right, I'll have to go back and check. I know that Xavier was tipped off to his location by finding Northstar on Cerebro, and I was thinking he did the same for Sinister. But it's been a while since I read that one.
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

BANNED

I'm betting Apocalypse is some sort of mutant god that orchestrated the creation of the X-gene.

finally gotten around to reading this. it was awesome as expected.

however, what strikes me as a beautiful move by wood, was how the whole stryker thing was downplayed. to me, coupled with the cap scene, it was meant to signify that no matter that kitty and co. pulled of this heroic act of resistance, no matter what awesome things they would do in the future, the world is always going to take a dump on mutants. just because people are retards.

on another note, humphries should take note of how to write "president cap" here. while the idea itself strikes me as stupid, if it needs to happen, then cap needs to deal with real political decisions, not gallivanting around punching people and flying hovercrafts. imo, he should even ditch the costume altogether.

btw, i just read first couple of trades of dmz by wood, and man, it is awesome. wood is rapidly rising in on my top writers list. if his other work is as good as dmz and uxm, then he might be up there with the likes of ellis, morrison and hickman.
    All-time Favs: Ultimate Marvel, Transmetropolitan, 100 Bullets, Ex Machina, Grant Morrison, Saga...

Slaughter Swamp, I seen't Grundy, I seen't him!

Quote Originally Posted by Plawsky View Post
    You may be right, I'll have to go back and check. I know that Xavier was tipped off to his location by finding Northstar on Cerebro, and I was thinking he did the same for Sinister. But it's been a while since I read that one.
    sinister wasn't a mutant I think, just a scientist who experimented upon himself
    they label me a villain cause of how I express my feelings

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    sinister wasn't a mutant I think, just a scientist who experimented upon himself
    This is correct, he couldn't get approval for human testing on his mind control project so he used himself as a test subject. Madness ensued.
    1) Find a bad guy
    2) Be Wolverine
    Bring Back Ultimate Wolverine...again!

I enjoyed the issue but personally, I know a load of folks like her, I feel like it's Kitty's Pride Feat the X-Men. But, I've heard more members of the team will be getting the chance to shine. The thing with Kitty, I just don't buy her as this mutant leader. I don't think she's earned it, nor do I think it fits in with her character. I'll hold my hands up in that I've not read any of the Spierman stuff she features in, so maybe I missed a ton of character development. But looking back from the start I just find it hard to swallow, one of the others girls, maybe, sure, I could see Rogue stepping up etc.

I'd also like to see Rogue stepping up as long as she rids herself of that turd Quentin Quire. But I can't help but think that the UU X Men are gradually becoming what the 616 X Men used to be.

I just can't read the 616 U anymore. Wolverine as the founder of Weapon X, Cykes leading the Brotherhood masquerading as Uncanny X Men, BobKat, Rogue as an Avenger........

It's beyond silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie_Jee View Post
    I'm betting Apocalypse is some sort of mutant god that orchestrated the creation of the X-gene.
    I was under the impression that in the Ultimates universe, the X-gene was the result of the Weapon X program that was an attempt to re-create the success of the super-soldier program. The X-gene in the Ultimates is thus not any part of the natural order of things, and an argument can be made regardless of its benefits, its effects should be reversed.

To make an admittedly bad analogy, in the most recent Amazing Spider-Man movie, the Lizard formula could be argued to be able to transform humans into a form that could actually survive the rigors of space travel. (If humans were to travel in outer space for some period of time, perhaps even a trip as short as that to Mars and back, there could be consider genetic damage unless the craft had extensive radiation shielding, greatly increasing costs.) But whatever improvements, even if the formula were tinkered with to not drive the recipient aggressively insane, do not justify tinkering with people's gene en masse, and it is justifiable to derive an antidote that can reverse these effects and send people back to being baseline normal.

Now that is not to say it would be a bad thing to make the X-gene be a part of the Ultimates universe natural order, perhaps through further development of the Apocalypse storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    I just can't read the 616 U anymore. Wolverine as the founder of Weapon X, Cykes leading the Brotherhood masquerading as Uncanny X Men, BobKat, Rogue as an Avenger........

It's beyond silly.
    I'm enjoying ultimate x-men more than the 616 x-books at the moment. Esp since 616 is being restarted with Marvel Now. Kudos to Brian Woods

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jphamlore View Post
    I was under the impression that in the Ultimates universe, the X-gene was the result of the Weapon X program that was an attempt to re-create the success of the super-soldier program. The X-gene in the Ultimates is thus not any part of the natural order of things, and an argument can be made regardless of its benefits, its effects should be reversed.

To make an admittedly bad analogy, in the most recent Amazing Spider-Man movie, the Lizard formula could be argued to be able to transform humans into a form that could actually survive the rigors of space travel. (If humans were to travel in outer space for some period of time, perhaps even a trip as short as that to Mars and back, there could be consider genetic damage unless the craft had extensive radiation shielding, greatly increasing costs.) But whatever improvements, even if the formula were tinkered with to not drive the recipient aggressively insane, do not justify tinkering with people's gene en masse, and it is justifiable to derive an antidote that can reverse these effects and send people back to being baseline normal.

Now that is not to say it would be a bad thing to make the X-gene be a part of the Ultimates universe natural order, perhaps through further development of the Apocalypse storyline.
    My theory was that Apocalypse, had manipulated the creation of the X-gene, similarly to how Scientologists believe that the Christian God orchestrated the events of the Big Bang, which ultimately resulted in the creation of our solar system.

It's hard to speculate what Apocalypse' motives are, because they're not just unclear, but actually haven't been revealed in any way, so it's really hard to determine why he's been manipulating Quicksilver and therefore his Brotherhood, Stryker and therefore the Nimrods, Rogue, and possibly many other characters too. It was revealed to the public only a couple months ago, if that (in-universe), that mutants were not the next step in evolution but instead the result of a science experiment. I think this has something to do with why Apocalpypse is here. It was Apocalypse that orchestrated DWS/UWS, and he may have orchestrated more. I think he could be behind almost EVERYTHING to do with the mutants in the UU. He may have even orchestrated Ultimatum. There's a lot building up to the true return of Ultimate Apocalypse, and I have some ideas about how it might turn out. I bet Brian Wood can't wait to tell the story and reveal everything to us, but I don't want Wood to hurry. He can take his time. His series is going excellently and I'm happy to wait for this Apocalypse story as it slowly builds. Atm, there are more important things to focus on, like the Twin Cities of Tian, Jean Grey's agenda and Quicksilver and his New Brotherhood.. whom could all be part of Apocalypse' plan.. whatever that will turn out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanji View Post
    The cure is sickening. It amazes me how many people think it's worth considering, in the comics or in real life.
    Ultimate X-Men #41