Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who Gets The Money From Glory & Prophet?

I have heard great things about both series and have recently been interested in creator owned stuff. However I'd rathe not buy it if that classless jerk Liefeld got the money from it.
    Pull List: Action Comics, Batman, Chew, Hawkeye, Iron Man, Saga, Stormwatch, Wonder Woman

Image takes their cut.
    Rob Liefeld gets something as they are his properties.
    The creative team divide whats left.

Both are fantastic books. Whilst yes, Liefeld gets your money, youd be doing yourself a diservice my not reading them.
    Thinkof it not so much as paying Liefeld as supporting indie books and diversity in comics :)

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Liefeld has no say (well almost no say) in these properties and the creative teams get to go wild with the characters.

Whether you like Liefeld or not, that should not get in the way of you reading these great comics.

That and support the creative team in these comics.
    Last edited by Johnny P. Sartre; 10-30-2012 at 05:28 PM.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

I guess I'll probably try it as Liefelds's take is probably minuscule it looks awesome and I have only heard good things about them
    Pull List: Action Comics, Batman, Chew, Hawkeye, Iron Man, Saga, Stormwatch, Wonder Woman

Washington.... the state not the place with the monuments.

Disney for some reason. Don't understand how that is. I guess they own about 55% of everything. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Image takes their cut.
    Rob Liefeld gets something as they are his properties.
    The creative team divide whats left.

Both are fantastic books. Whilst yes, Liefeld gets your money, youd be doing yourself a diservice my not reading them.
    Thinkof it not so much as paying Liefeld as supporting indie books and diversity in comics :)
    You sure that the creative teams gets whats left? Isnt this work for hire stuff? Dont they get paid and Liefeld takes the profits?

Since it is a creator owned property, Liefeld must be making some sort of arrangement to get a cut. How much? Not sure. I would hope it is smaller than what Graham and company take from it.
    http://blogojett.blogspot.com/

www.capelesscrusader.org

Reads: Batman & Robin, Batman, Walking Dead, Chew, Saga, Prophet, TMNT, Planetoid, Punk Rock Jesus, Revival, Judge Dredd, Bedlam

I would suspect that like any creator owned project, Leifeld gets the profits. He hires the creative teams and pays them whatever they've agreed upon (likely a page rate but he might have agreed to royalties and what not). He pays the fees to Image. And he gets the profits that are left over.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (WIP):
    http://invincibleuniversewiki.wikispaces.com/home

Quote Originally Posted by sportsguy831 View Post
    I have heard great things about both series and have recently been interested in creator owned stuff. However I'd rathe not buy it if that classless jerk Liefeld got the money from it.
    Frankly, I've never really understood this kind of thinking--even though I admit to being guilty of it myself. A guy who used to be one of my favorite film-makers behaved disgracefully a few years ago, which prompted me to liquidate all but three of his movies from my collection--and I haven't watched THOSE since the incident occurred. Glory and Prophet are Liefeld's characters so it's just something you'll have to either get over or tolerate if you love the books that much.
    FAV Comics: Lil' ABNER, DICK TRACY, BATMAN, UNCLE SCROOGE, KAMUI, TOMB OF DRACULA, THE MIGHTY THOR by LEE\KIRBY, WONDER WOMAN by PEREZ\KAREN BERGER, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 1-206 and EC COMICS!

BANNED

I know they get page rates, beyond that I'm not sure.

Whatever, Prophet rules. I'm glad it exists. If Rob gets money for letting these guys to nuts, that's just how it is. I don't think the book is setting the sales charts on fire since they had to raise the price recently, so I wouldn't worry about giving Rob too much of your money.

Either way, support cool comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P. Sartre View Post
    Liefeld has no say (well almost no say) in these properties and the creative teams get to go wild with the characters.
    just so OP understands - Liefeld has no say out of choice. He lets the writer write and the artist draw which is something some other companies still need to learn. There are very few people who would let other writers go wild with their creations and just stand back and enjoy the trip like any other reader. For that alone he's a cool guy in my book.

and i doubt Rob sees anything out of these books - prophet sells what? 2-3k. On those figures he's more likely subsidising the books than taking money out
    "...so Hitler sends Iron Jaw's son to America to get revenge on Crimebuster." S.H.

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dr chimp View Post
    just so OP understands - Liefeld has no say out of choice. He lets the writer write and the artist draw which is something some other companies still need to learn. There are very few people who would let other writers go wild with their creations and just stand back and enjoy the trip like any other reader. For that alone he's a cool guy in my book.

and i doubt Rob sees anything out of these books - prophet sells what? 2-3k. On those figures he's more likely subsidising the books than taking money out
    True, true.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

Prophet sells more like 6 k.

Have you noticed the black lines over the cusswords in Glory? Wonder why they even inserted them, when they made them unreadable afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by sonicx1977 View Post
    Prophet sells more like 6 k.

Have you noticed the black lines over the cusswords in Glory? Wonder why they even inserted them, when they made them unreadable afterwards.
    ahh yeah. even at 6k though it can barely be breaking even - say it brings in $8k a month split between image, 20 pages of art, 5 page back up, writer, colourist. I dont think OP has to worry about making Rob rich!.
    "...so Hitler sends Iron Jaw's son to America to get revenge on Crimebuster." S.H.

Quote Originally Posted by the goddamn batman View Post
    Either way, support cool comics.
    Yeah, this is really what it comes down to. Sure there's a compromise here, but ultimately Prophet is so cool that it's worth buying. I haven't read Glory yet so I can't comment, but it looks great too.

I think the comics universe is poorer without books like Prophet around, regardless of where some fraction of the money is going.
    “Wonder Woman is a lame superhero...She flies around in her invisible jet and her weaponry is a lasso that makes you tell the truth. I just don’t get it.” -- Megan Fox