Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sidekick77 View Post
    Gail can write some self indulgent scenes, and to me, this is one of them as it doesn't fit with the situation. She's going for a moment that's a bit cute and clever, but its not organic to the real threat of Ricky being compromised. In no universe will another gang member think that being romantically linked with a law enforcer is small potatoes. Babs could've easily orchestrated a fake fight to throw off suspicion, but I guess that's not what the author wanted to write.
    Well there's just no winning for the current writer is there? Some of you have complained that the book is too dark, and then when there is a cute/"girly" moment you complain about that.

I give this issue a 9 out of 10. It would have gotten a perfect ten if Widjaya had drawn the entire issue and the ending had been more definitive as opposed to having to go read Birds Of Prey for the continuation of the story, IMO. But otherwise a solid, fun, action-packed story.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF

Upcoming titles:
    Storm

those god-damned goggles chipsnopotatoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by albone View Post
    Also, sorry if I missed this but when did Catwoman hook up with Green Arrow??
    she hasn't. Might be something the author pulled out of her ... hat.

I leafed through this because I was curious that many seem to think this is the best Catwoman's been written in the DCnU. Meh.
    I thought the Sex and the City dialogue between Batgirl and Catwoman was trying a bit too hard. Selina picking up strays isn't really all that interesting and the pinky swear was a tad gauche. Gail wrote a much better Catwoman in the BATB episode.

Quote Originally Posted by batGRRRl4ever View Post
    Well there's just no winning for the current writer is there? Some of you have complained that the book is too dark, and then when there is a cute/"girly" moment you complain about that
    How about you not mass generalize my opinion by lumping it in with some vague commentary about tone. My criticism is very specific about the mishandling of a particular plot point. This is not about whether Batgirl should be this or should be that--she can be whatever she wants; she can be Bruce Wayne since the author seems so inclined to make the comparison, but this scene with Ricky still does not work. For what Gail is trying to indulge here, it's literally shoving a square peg into a round hole.

Wow! The art in this annual was nothing short of amazing! This artist was born to draw Batgirl.

The writing continues to be top-notch, the kind we've come to expect from Gail on Batgirl. I especially liked the scenes with Ricky and Talon Mary. This annual did a great job of showing Barbara as the light and heart of Gotham City. Can't wait for the next issue!

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sidekick77 View Post
    I do have one question though: Why did Barbara think that creating a fake romantic relationship with Ricky would offset suspicion. Wouldn't a gang member be more inclined to suspect that Ricky would share information would someone he is sleeping with?? I don't get the logic here.
    It wasn't a gang member, it was his brother. She made it seem like she was there because she was doing him, rather than she was there asking for information. It doesn't so much offset suspicion, as it does excuse it.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 11-03-2012 at 08:47 PM.

The Older Waiter Brave Sir Robbin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by batGRRRl4ever View Post
    Well there's just no winning for the current writer is there? Some of you have complained that the book is too dark, and then when there is a cute/"girly" moment you complain about that.

I give this issue a 9 out of 10. It would have gotten a perfect ten if Widjaya had drawn the entire issue and the ending had been more definitive as opposed to having to go read Birds Of Prey for the continuation of the story, IMO. But otherwise a solid, fun, action-packed story.
    Come on, now. Don't pretend like this surprises you. Being a Batgirl fan is like trying to dig a hole on the beach. The sand just keeps spilling back in. Besides, saying positive things is easy and would lead someone to believe you are not a critical reader. You can't just enjoy Babs and make comments about what you like and don't like. Anything positive gets interpreted as blind devotion to the book. Anything that points out a flaw is like thrown chum to the anti-Babs readers that show up in a feeding frenzy of negativity.

Besides, I am a little jealous that you get branded so blindly favoring the comic. I am much more blind in my devotion to Simone and her Barbara Gordan than you are. You are starting to piss me off. I think I must have gotten placed on way to many ignore lists. My unreasoning devotion to this comic is much more excitedly pathetic than yours. I am worried that Gail might get on this board and think you love her more than I do.
    Current Favorites: The Goon, Batgirl, Chew, Alex + Ada,The Sixth Gun, Saga, Diskordia, Think Tank, Archie, Rachel Rising, Red Sonja, X, Wonder Woman, Powerpuff Girls, Ms. Marvel

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

Well, u guys aren't really being fair now though. Can't recall sidekick complaining about the book being too dark, or anything of the such.