Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Batgirl Annual #1

Plot:

Someone's using the homeless to set fires to buildings around town and Batgirl is on the case I guess. Meanwhile, Catwoman breaks Mary, the female Talon from Batgirl's past, out of jail. Don't know why Mary wasn't on ice, but whatever.

Our Hero:

Why are you talking about someone's sex life right before a battle?

Our Villian:

A gardener... what? You were expecting someone else?

Our Side Characters:

So this is techincally Catwoman's best appearance a comic this month if you think about it.
    Action:

Ah, alright then. There's action.

Dialogue:

That was a weird last words. Felt like he was going to say something else.

Art:

Mmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhh...

Most Memorable Moment:

When you escape prison, make sure to take your crayons!

Final Page:

So Batgirl, isn't this aiding and abetting a felon with helping her evade the cops?

What We Should Take From This Comic:

Mary is out of jail and Batgirl is taking her someplace to possibly give her a second chance at her life.

What We Do Take From This Comic:

So when does this comic take place in the timeline anyways?

Yay or Nay?

Nay (First nay ever from me!)

Quote Originally Posted by batGRRRl4ever View Post
    What I keep liking about this title is that while Barbara has embraced the mantle of the bat, at the same time she realizes that she has to approach the city HER way, which is a way that wants to effect POSITIVE change as opposed to just terrorizing villians and street thugs.
    Exactly! Batgirl has her own approach to fighting crime, and she's showing that it can be just as valid an effective as Batman's aggressive brooding style. I love that she is more interested in the individuals, and how their life is affected by the events they live through. Even people who are doing bad things have real complex lives and deserve to be considered as people and not just faceless thugs to be beat up.

When Benes is rushed his work can get a little sloppy, so I wouldn't mind if Widjaya got called in for an occasional two-parter here and there, as YES, his artwork really compliments the Batgirl title but like JHW I suspect Widjaya needs a bit of lead time to create his work. This would also enable and ensure Benes work remains at top form if he gets a break every once in awhile to add extra detail to some issues.
    You are right, there are times when I can really appreciate his art. I get the feeling however, that the sexualized poses are more of a shortcut for him. It's easier to go back on those clichs, rather than give each character a pose that complements the story. Your observation makes sense, since I've seen art by him that is actually rather good, and sometimes it makes me cringe. I would be very happy to see Widjaya fill in for a story arc here and there in order to give Benes time to put out some really good work, which I know he's capable of.
    DC: ASW ● A. Man ● Batgirl ● Batman ● Batwoman ● BoP ● E2 ● Flash ● Dial H ● JLD ● Wonder Woman
    Marvel: Av ● C. Mar ● Hawkguy ● N.Av ● Thor ● W&XM
    Other: Saga ● Red Sonja

I thought that that art work was mostly very good and a little different, but at one point Gordon's mustache looked like a false one glued on, quite noticeably to me.

Thought this was a very good issue. The art was fantastic (I immediately noticed the artist change and given the fantastic level of the first one, it probably made the second one come out worse than it really was). Though I've only read bits and pieces of Catwoman's ongoing, this seems like it was the best she's been written. Mary though... I actually thought I was overthinking this but, on a second reading, I could not help noticing that Mary comes off as a poor man's Cassandra Cain (I'd even argue that thats probably intentional). Despite saying that, I actually liked her here a lot here (and am guessing she's heading to BoP to replace either Ivy and/or Katana). Strangely enough, I found myself more interested in the Catwoman/Mary scenes than I was in the Batgirl (though this was easily the best she's been portrayed) ones.

The biggest problems was the entire plot. That makes it sound worse than I actually mean. The villian's plan did not make sense, especially given that he had an army of Talons at his disposal. He did not remotely need Mary (would have been easier to have just said the Court wanted its Talons back and given where she was, she was the easiest to get back). It also doesn't make much sense that Ricky knew about that...given that it was homeless people burning down the buildings and the big bad of the issue wasn't doing it as an Owl (but as his normal self). That's not to say it wasn't for the Owls wishes, just that Ricky had information that he couldn't have possibly had. This just detracts from the entire issue as a whole because it just makes everything...not make sense. It essentially made almost the most of the scenes in this issue padding.

On the other hand, I welcome Ricky if he's staying as a recurring character. Gail's writing tends to be better with larger casts. Is he still 15/16?
    Pull List: (Marvel) Daredevil, Mighty Avengers, Hawkeye, Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, Uncanny X-Men, She-Hulk, Ms Marvel, X-Factor (DC) Nightwing, Batman, Wonder Woman

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed we seem to have gotten another "you can't have the character you want, here's another mute misunderstood assassin with a heart of gold" vibe.

No doubt we'll soon have Sally East, a really fast gal and a cousin for WW that has a confusing backstory. Maybe even the Foil, Stephan Black, the son of a criminal who tries to "foil" his mother's crimes.
    "Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain" Steven Pinker

Strix, really, Strix? (rolls eyes) And WHAT is up with Batgirl's uniform in that pic?! It's bad enough D.S. does such a lousy job getting Batgirl's personality down, but now they can't even keep it straight what her basic uniform looks like? Brother....
    I'm not sure what the Strix is supposed to mean. When I first read the solicit, I thought it said Styx, which I assumed was a reference to the Stygian Owl.

EDIT: Nevermind, I looked it up, and turns out Strix is the Greek word for owl.
    DC: ASW ● A. Man ● Batgirl ● Batman ● Batwoman ● BoP ● E2 ● Flash ● Dial H ● JLD ● Wonder Woman
    Marvel: Av ● C. Mar ● Hawkguy ● N.Av ● Thor ● W&XM
    Other: Saga ● Red Sonja

Really enjoyed this. The art is amazing. I'll definitely be picking up Birds Of Prey to see what happens next.

Now just hold on a minute here.

Arnoldo is one of the most entertaining postes to ever grace CBR and I call for his unbanning!

Veteran Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

I don't think I've made any commentary on this issue yet...

I actually thought it was the best issue of the series so far. I really enjoyed seeing Batgirl actually doing some detective work and I thought the usage of Ricky was pretty fitting. Initially I just didn't care to see him ever again, but his purpose was to the point which I liked. Batgirl herself is competent which is always a plus and I thought Catwoman's inclusion was pretty fun as well, I thought Gail had a solid handle on Selina. The art (both artists) is probably the best the book has looked IMHO. I hope the series keeps with this feeling.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaMic View Post
    Now just hold on a minute here.

Arnoldo is one of the most entertaining postes to ever grace CBR and I call for his unbanning!
    He dissed the holy Barbara Gordon.

I enjoyed this I thought it was really good, and the art was great I thought that female talon was interesting characater looking forward to seeing her in the birds of prey also thought batgirl and catwoman both written well overall thought this was really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    He dissed the holy Barbara Gordon.
    Has she become a sacred cow on these forums? Honest question as I've never seen this protective approach to Jason Todd, who has been the similar subject of biting criticism both toward the character and the writers responsible for his development, particularly pre-52. I suppose mods are trying to limit the amount of debates about Barbara on the boards.

On the subject of the Annual, I will have to agree with many here that while its an "okay" story for Batgirl, the real winner here is Catwoman. Selina just shines in her interaction with 'Mary', although I still don't like the watered down use of Talons if they're meant to be something that is feared. I especially don't like that she is a transparent template for Cassandra Cain, and my god, painfully so. I was never among those who thought Knightfall was made to look like Stephanie Brown [because, seriously, that was ridiculous]--but this IS Cass Cain. In construct and the intent of how they are going to use Mary in BoP, who will most likely be mentored by Babs.

Anyway, it was an above average storyline despite some flaws and both women came out of it with some decent characterization. I do have one question though: Why did Barbara think that creating a fake romantic relationship with Ricky would offset suspicion. Wouldn't a gang member be more inclined to suspect that Ricky would share information would someone he is sleeping with?? I don't get the logic here.

Quote Originally Posted by sidekick77 View Post
    I do have one question though: Why did Barbara think that creating a fake romantic relationship with Ricky would offset suspicion. Wouldn't a gang member be more inclined to suspect that Ricky would share information would someone he is sleeping with?? I don't get the logic here.
    Yeah, that was a bit of of a stretch. I guess Babs figured/hoped that Ricky's crew would presume that any relationship, particuarly with an athletic woman in a skin-tight costume, would be all about making the beast with two backs... and so there'd be very little conversation going on! ;)

"The Tardis, when working properly, is capable of many amazing things. Not unlike myself."

I don't think this gang should be confused with an anything considered 'organized.' They see one of their own with a hot redhead, they're going to be more about that, then anything else.

I thought it was a really great issue overall, though Catwoman playing mother hen was a little surprising.

Also, sorry if I missed this but when did Catwoman hook up with Green Arrow??
    Check out my webcomic:
    Rival Angels
    The #1 Wrestling Webcomic
    CHECK OUT MY KICKSTARTER

Quote Originally Posted by albone View Post
    I don't think this gang should be confused with an anything considered 'organized.' They see one of their own with a hot redhead, they're going to be more about that, then anything else.
    I disagree, paranoia and suspicion is not something reserved only for organized crime. Criminals of any size or caliber turn on one other all the time. There is rampant evidence of gangs killing their own for 'snitching' or betraying the group. And this not just any hot redhead, this is Batgirl. Someone well established with the law/Batman and someone the older brother recognizes and loathes.

Gail can write some self indulgent scenes, and to me, this is one of them as it doesn't fit with the situation. She's going for a moment that's a bit cute and clever, but its not organic to the real threat of Ricky being compromised. In no universe will another gang member think that being romantically linked with a law enforcer is small potatoes. Babs could've easily orchestrated a fake fight to throw off suspicion, but I guess that's not what the author wanted to write.