Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Dark Horse Comics Reacts to Disney's "Star Wars" Purchase

Dark Horse President Mike Richardson comments on Disney's purchase of Lucasfilm and what it means for the publisher's "Star Wars" expanded universe comics and the potential ramifications for the publisher moving forward.

Full article here.

Dark Horse better be able to keep the license. They produce quality stuff.

I think the best case will be that Dark Horse keeps the licence, but Disney might allow for agreements for crossovers with Marvel. Because having Doctor Doom and Darth Vader clash is a real fanboy's dream.

Capitalism at it's worse....I just can't see how this is a positive thing for Lucasfilms or Star Wars, having to answer to Disney. :(
    Damn...I've read Dark Horse Star Wars comics for 20 years, not to mention the regular books...just not looking forward to having Disney's hands in things. We shall see though.

Yeah this really sucks for the comic books. Disney/Marvel will take the comic book rights back and do a 4 issue mini-series here and there at the most. The books will need to sell 30,000 a month for them to do a series. Disney/Marvel took away the comic rights from Boom and doesn't do anything with them. At least Disney would still get a licensing fee for the rights to do the books. Instead Marvel just sits on the books and does nothing, the same will happen to the Star Wars books.

BANNED

I look forward to the further homogenization of everything.

As I recall, when Disney bought Marvel, any preexisting contracts that either party had were unaffected. I imagine any contracts that Lucasfilm and Dark Horse, currently, have will continue to play out for the remainder of their duration. As the contracts end, we'll, probably start to see Lucas properties disappearing from Dark Horse's publishing schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by the goddamn batman View Post
    I look forward to the further homogenization of everything.
    Disney should buy time warner!

bendis and jim lee on star wars, Excelsior!
    "Calm down, call Batman." - Greg Capullo

The power of the rainbow. jade_nova's Avatar

I'm going to assume that this will be like what Disney and BOOM Studios did. BOOM Studios was allowed to continue to do Disney comics to a certain time and then we haven't heard anything about the comics since.
    "Here's to me and here's to you. If we should ever disagree, then here's to me and to hell with you," William O. Astle 1905-2002

"Damn you, Harlot! Science and I know what we're doing," Reed Richards

http://captain-smiley.livejournal.com/-Here be Countdown summaries.

Within 2 years Marvel will be putting out "Star Wars" comics I imagine.

As long as the quality of stories stays the same and the EU is respected, I have no problem with this.
    Empty winds scrape on the soul never stop to realize/Animal whisperings intoxicate the night
    Hypnotize the desperate slow motionlight/Wash away into the rain
    Blood, milk and sky....

the thing that bugs me about Marvel is that they have yet to do really anything with the Disney line- hopefully they do better with Star Wars when it comes to that

Kinda makes me wonder about the sudden (and still largely unexplained) cancellation of Star Wars: Legacy now...
    Always remember this stuff isn't real.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    I think the best case will be that Dark Horse keeps the licence, but Disney might allow for agreements for crossovers with Marvel. Because having Doctor Doom and Darth Vader clash is a real fanboy's dream.
    Yeah, ranks right up there with Entrantress and Maleficient. Ooo. Can't wait.
    In my opinion is implied in every post. Please make an effort to remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiMike View Post
    the thing that bugs me about Marvel is that they have yet to do really anything with the Disney line- hopefully they do better with Star Wars when it comes to that
    Well, remember that Disney is the owner here. Marvel doesn't do anything with Disney properties. Disney does stuff with Marvel properties, and it's up to Disney if Marvel does anything with Disney characters.

Given Marvel's creative bungles over the last 10-15 years, it's not surprising Disney doesn't let them anywhere near Mickey and Goofy. Or even Alex Durant.
    In my opinion is implied in every post. Please make an effort to remember that.