View Poll Results: Star Wars 7 director?

Voters
87. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Steven Spielberg (Friend of Lucas, has often come close to directing a SW)

7 8.05%
  • George Lucas again

3 3.45%
  • David Lynch (Almost directed ROTJ)

0 0%
  • David Filoni (director of Clone Wars movie and series)

3 3.45%
  • Christopher Nolan (The Dark Knight Trilogy)

4 4.60%
  • Joss Whedon (Serenity, Avengers, various TV series)

22 25.29%
  • J. J Abrams (Star Trek, Super 8, various TV series)

13 14.94%
  • Frank Darabont (Almost directed TPM)

0 0%
  • Kathleen Kennedy (Basically is co-chair of Lucasfilm)

0 0%
  • Gendy Tartovsky (The original Clone Wars micro series, various TV series and Hotel Transylvania)

4 4.60%
  • Brad Bird (Incredibles, Mission Impossible IV)

14 16.09%
  • Francis Ford Copolla (Godfather trilogy & friend of Lucas)

0 0%
  • Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings trilogy)

6 6.90%
  • Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrynth, Hellboy)

7 8.05%
  • others

4 4.60%
Page 139 of 144 FirstFirst ... 3989129135136137138139140141142143 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,085 of 2152

Quote Originally Posted by Simbob4000 View Post
    I can't even tell if you're being serious.
    Yes, I'm being serious.

Ok, yeah...I'm not sure what you watched, but ok. The big goofy eye design for the robots is there, not sure how you don't see that.

Around 7:26 a robot flies into view, looks back and forth at the two walking along some kind of pipe, and drops out of view really fast...all while making little robot noises. It's meant to be as if some guy came upon two people fighting; did some big exaggerated head movements while going "wha'" or "huh", and then ran off all while screaming or something...it's meant to be funny. Even the fucking piping is making cartoonish noises.
    How is it meant to be funny?

When Anakin jumps on that robots head at around 9:46, that's meant to be funny too. Why do you think we get a close-up of just the robot looking around like it can't believe someone just jumped on it's head? Why do you think those robots even have something that looks like a face? It's so we as the audience can pick up on these moments. If you can't get this than maybe...and I can't believe I'm saying this, maybe George Lucas was being too subtle.
    They have faces because all droids have faces. Even the GNK Power droids.

Vidocq is right. You're bitching to bitch. Let's assume you're right and it's meant to be funny. I suppose it didn't bother you that Threepio was being funny during the scene where Han's being frozen. I mean, it was a serious scene and all. Or how about Threepio being funny while everyone's trying to stop Boba Fett from taking off. Or when they're trying to get away in the Falcon. Or when the Hyperdrive is finally fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    Vidocq is right. You're bitching to bitch. Let's assume you're right and it's meant to be funny. I suppose it didn't bother you that Threepio was being funny during the scene where Han's being frozen. I mean, it was a serious scene and all. Or how about Threepio being funny while everyone's trying to stop Boba Fett from taking off. Or when they're trying to get away in the Falcon. Or when the Hyperdrive is finally fixed.
    Or how about that time where Threepio shows up out of nowhere during the Vader/Luke battle in ROTJ? Oh, wait he doesnt.

My point being, the Threepio scenes are a bit more forgivable because Threepio is part of the main cast and he's a pretty well established comic relief character. The droids in ROTS pretty much pop up out of nowhere for the sole purpose of breaking up the tone of a scene.
    Eh, Comics is a pretty cool guy...

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothDZX View Post
    Or how about that time where Threepio shows up out of nowhere during the Vader/Luke battle in ROTJ? Oh, wait he doesnt.

My point being, the Threepio scenes are a bit more forgivable because Threepio is part of the main cast and he's a pretty well established comic relief character. The droids in ROTS pretty much pop up out of nowhere for the sole purpose of breaking up the tone of a scene.
    but reading Simbobs posts...its like he is actively trying to not have any sort of levity ever

strikes me as the type that considers "I Have No Mouth....And I Must Scream" a little too cheerful
    Support your local roller derby league

Quote Originally Posted by Nico Olvia
    That's really a weird choice indeed. What does that bring to the scene ? Cause well, at some point someone made that choice, someone said "hey, let's put two aliens here, you know, collecting lava for some reason, right in the middle of the most important moment of the prequels".
    Why put a potato and a shoe in the asteroid field in TESB? Why put Artoo in the debris in "Star Trek"? ILM does these things for shits and giggles.

Quote Originally Posted by Guapo Mendez
    Hey, you're the one that tries to interpret what George tried to say when he admits he goofed up.
    Which still doesn't change a thing, given what the other films have shown.

With absolutely now link to current or actual characters. Darth Plageious could have been conjured up by him on the spot. He's not just a politician, he's a Sith politician: lying is in his blood.
    Or he's telling the truth. Not everything a Sith says has to be a lie. The truth works just as well.

But if Qui-Gonn was able to sense something was odd about Anakin in a ten minute conversation over dinner, there is no way Leia could have skated arguing for political things for the oppressed. Even if we go by the nonsensical idea that she somehow Force-remembered her mother, she was using the Force that way and it's odd it didn't cause a disturbance.
    Qui-gon sensed something odd based on observations and stories Anakin told him about. I doubt Leia had long conversations with Palpatine about swoop bike racing on Alderaan and remembering her mother's death. Having visions doesn't cause disturbances. It's doing the things that Luke did, like summon up the Force, that causes the disturbance. And let's not forget, that Palpatine didn't sense Luke arriving at Endor. Hell, Vader didn't know Luke was on the other side of the hangar from where the Falcon flies off. Not to mention that he has to use Imperial Probe Droids to find the Rebel base instead of just sensing for Luke in the Force.

Exactly. The only way to be sure is by midichlorian count, which both sides totally ignore.
    The Jedi already know when they made the plans. Sidious and Vader are not paranoid about anyone, unless they're being trained in the Jedi Arts.

But they want to get rid of their attachments and yet they send them to places where they can get attachments? Does not make sense.
    The Padawans still develop attachments to their Masters, but had to train themselves to let go of that attachment, during the heyday of the Jedi. All that changed is that the Skywalker twins were given a different life, which made it easier for them to choose the right path. Luke could let go of his attachments because he was raised by his family. Anakin couldn't, because he left when he was still a boy and had a Sith Lord twisting his mind.

Sure...for 5 minutes. Pathos-lite.
    No, the whole film.

None of them marquee characters.
    Even marquee characters.

I somehow don't see the Predator waiting for Dutch and Dillon to work on their hand signals while pointing a laser at them. And at least military hand signals make sense.
    Might want to re-watch the first film. The Predator was watching Billy, while Dutch gave the signal to stop and fan out, while he went to talk to him.

Jedi's have mustache twirling, the People's Eyebrow right in front of the wheezing guy who in the cartoons killed Jedi for less.
    Again, bitching to bitch.

Because current/potential Force users can be detected via a handheld device carried by Jedis all around. Anyone trying to hurt the Jedi could use it to their advantage.
    I can understand jedis not wanting to use it, but Sith? Enemies of the Jedi?
    They did. Such devices were created during the Jedi Purge and utilized to find Jedi who had gone into hiding.

These were shown in "Jedi Search", "Dark Apprentice", "I, Jedi" and "The Lost Ones". Wedge Antilles found them while cleaning out the ruins of a building on Coruscant and gave them to Luke. He used it on himself, Wedge, Han, Leia, Corran Horn, Gantoris and Kyp Durron, while Lando used one on Streen. Later, Tamith Kai used it to identify Zek. A blue field indicated one who was strong with the Force, while a dark red was used to identify someone who had great anger within them. Imperial agents only employed them when there were rumored sightings of Jedi. Before then, the Sith did the same thing that the Jedi did.

But the ability to connect to the Force in the OT did not depend on midichlorians, not even in the genetic component. The Force is strong in my family does not mean the thing is genetic-only. After all, Obi-Wan had it and there's no mention of his family.
    Luke is telling his sister that she's his sister, because he's uncertain that he will come back from his mission. This is different from Obi-wan telling Luke, the son of his friend and mentor, that they both can use the Force. And yes, it did depend on the Midichlorians. Just because the word isn't used in the film, doesn't make it any less so.

You'd think that the guy who slew scores of Jedis (children, really) would have a checklist when his interrogation techniques fail. Then again, he lost 3 limbs after an ill-advised jump from low to high-ground, so he's not that good in the first place.
    Vader's no longer the paranoid individual that he was twenty years ago.

But in a galaxy where *everyone* can have the midichlorians to be a Force-user, it's just common sense to rule that out.
    Everyone has Midichlorians, but only about half can actually use the Force with training. Probably even less than half.

This is a guy who went from zero to emperor in 20 years.
    Based off a plan that his Master and previous Sith Lords had been working on, long before he was an itch in his daddy's pants.

He got an apprentice whenever he needed one.
    Only one did he find on his own. The other two landed in his lap based on circumstances.

He created a space station that could destroy a planet.
    The Geonosians did that, he just stiffed them on the bill.

He would have thought about competition and would have found ways to recruit it or eliminate it.
    There is no more competition. The Jedi are gone, as far as he knows. The Nightsisters and the Singing Mountain Clan are confined to Dathomir. The Ang-Ti and the Whills are neutral. As far as he's concerned, Palpatine is the only power left in the galaxy when ANH begins. And if he was, then he had the Death Star to deal with them.

Strong emotions would have sparked Force-events. Anger, fear, hate. You saw how the Senate operated. It would have been the political equivalent of Luke bullseyeing womprats in his T-16.
    And I saw Bail Organa being very calm in the debates. As was Padme. Leia only gets upset when around Han.

But in a simple meal he was able to suss it out.
    Because he was given clues. Like I said, I doubt Leia talked about swoop bike racing in her youth, while talking to Palpatine.

Once again, I bow out of the thread. I have nothing more to prove and this is clearly going nowhere.
    You're the one who brought it all back up.

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothDZX

My point being, the Threepio scenes are a bit more forgivable because Threepio is part of the main cast and he's a pretty well established comic relief character. The droids in ROTS pretty much pop up out of nowhere for the sole purpose of breaking up the tone of a scene
    That's a weak comparison. So, it's not okay during a duel, but it's okay when Luke's emotionally vulnerable and communicating with Vader. Not to mention while the Falcon is about to be hit with a tractor beam by the Executor. I'm sorry, but that's bullshit of the highest order. At no point are the droids reactions intended to convey humor. As to those that are above the lava field, odds are they're reacting the same way anyone else would act to seeing something out of the unusual.

That's a weak comparison. So, it's not okay during a duel, but it's okay when Luke's emotionally vulnerable and communicating with Vader. Not to mention while the Falcon is about to be hit with a tractor beam by the Executor. I'm sorry, but that's bullshit of the highest order. At no point are the droids reactions intended to convey humor. As to those that are above the lava field, odds are they're reacting the same way anyone else would act to seeing something out of the unusual.
    Like I said, I'm okay with established characters trying to keep things a bit light during a tense situation. Han did that a lot too.

Honestly though, while Threepio and other comic reliefs do pop up in otherwise tense scenes they tend to stay away during the climaxes of the films. The destruction of the Death Star in ANH is pretty clear of it, same with Vader/Luke's fights in ESB and ROTJ.

Honestly, I really don't care. The Anakin/Obi-Wan duel is neat for about 3 minutes and then it becomes a boring mess of over-choreographed video game stuff. Hell, they even recycle the dual of the fates theme midway into the fight because (joking, obviously) John Williams probably saw how long the fight was going on and said "screw it, everyone take a quick break".

I don't really care that much about googly eyed lava droids, I'm more interested in why those droids stayed in the lava and conveniently decided to fly near each other at perfect lightsaber distance.
    Eh, Comics is a pretty cool guy...

Honestly, I really don't care. The Anakin/Obi-Wan duel is neat for about 3 minutes and then it becomes a boring mess of over-choreographed video game stuff. Hell, they even recycle the dual of the fates theme midway into the fight because (joking, obviously) John Williams probably saw how long the fight was going on and said "screw it, everyone take a quick break".
    Actually, that's because Lucas told Williams after he heard "Duel Of The Fates" in early 1999, that he wanted it to be in ROTS. They both talked about it after TPM came out. Due note that "Clash Of The Lightsabers" from TESB is used during the track "Anakin Vs Obi-wan". Not to mention that "TIE Fighter Attack" and "X-Wings Draw Fire" were used in "Sail Barge Assault" and "Superstructure Chase". While "Losing A Hand" was used in place of the first part of "The Main Reactor". In each case, it was a new recording. The only time actual tracks were recycled as is, was in AOTC for the Battle of Geonosis and a few tracks that carried over in ROTS.

I don't really care that much about googly eyed lava droids, I'm more interested in why those droids stayed in the lava and conveniently flew decided to fly near each other at perfect lightsaber distance.
    Because most droids don't think. The ones that do like Threepio, Artoo, 4-LOM and EV-9D9 are among the exception.
    Last edited by Mat001; 01-07-2013 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    but reading Simbobs posts...its like he is actively trying to not have any sort of levity ever

strikes me as the type that considers "I Have No Mouth....And I Must Scream" a little too cheerful
    Finally, someone else "gets" simbob.

^^^^^This.

Actually, that's because Lucas told Williams after he heard "Duel Of The Fates" in early 1999, that he wanted it to be in ROTS. They both talked about it after TPM came out. Due note that "Clash Of The Lightsabers" from TESB is used during the track "Anakin Vs Obi-wan". Not to mention that "TIE Fighter Attack" and "X-Wings Draw Fire" were used in "Sail Barge Assault" and "Superstructure Chase". While "Losing A Hand" was used in place of the first part of "The Main Reactor". In each case, it was a new recording. The only time actual tracks were recycled as is, was in AOTC for the Battle of Geonosis and a few tracks that carried over in ROTS.
    Right, composers rearranging/reprising motifs and passages in their own works is nothing new (Tangerine Dream even used their original album music for their film scores and vice versa). Nor is swiping from long-gone classical composers like James Horner did for his Wrath Of Khan score. Guys like Sim might not know that if they're not into film scores, though.

Yes, I'm being serious.
    Well, I'm not sure what to say or think really. You know I was talking about why they were put there in the film, and you chimed in with there in-universe reason for being? Like, you thought I was saying within Star Wars those robots were made as jokes, like: C3P0 is a protocol droid, and those robots on Mustafa were levity bots.

How is it meant to be funny?
    I've kind of already said how it's meant to be funny already. It's some robot minding it's own business that comes upon two jedi fight, it see them both and does two big broad head movements before flying off as fast as it can. You can see the same bit done with people is stuff, this is the robot version of that.

They have faces because all droids have faces. Even the GNK Power droids.

That robot doesn't have an obvious face with giant eyes. That robot looks like a Star Wars robot, the ones on Mustafa look like they come from the V.I.N.CENT School of Robot Design.

The problem is that the stuff I'm talking about doesn't work as humor, it isn't funny...at least in the way it's meant to be funny. It's funny that those things are meant to be funny. It's funny that George Lucas made the choice of playing a scene with powerful music and Anakin making his mean face while also having a big eyed robot looking around like: There's some guy standing on my head, do you guys see this? It's funny he's playing two totally different tones at exactly same time; you doesn't see William Wallace with a duck on his head that looks around and occasionally makes squawking sounds in this scene:

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post

What the hell are you talking about? I haven't ever said I don't like comedy. Have you seen Simbob's post, this is a guy that hates any kind of levity...he doesn't think the Star Wars prequels are funny; this is a man that obviously hates humor. What is this, is it because I didn't think The Avengers was funny or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    Making fun of one or two of the films is one thing. But what many of the so called fans of Star Wars do is pick apart EVERY aspect of Star Wars. That would be like your being a Superman Film and tearing apart ALL the movies, ALL the TV Shows, ALL the comics, and all the miscellaneous changes to the character over all the years. So no, it isn't the same.
    Some may do that, but all I've seen here is criticism of the prequels.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

That robot looks like a Star Wars robot
    No, that robot looks like a walking trash can.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

Quote Originally Posted by Simbob4000
    I've kind of already said how it's meant to be funny already. It's some robot minding it's own business that comes upon two jedi fight, it see them both and does two big broad head movements before flying off as fast as it can. You can see the same bit done with people is stuff, this is the robot version of that.
    That doesn't mean it was meant to be funny. We've seen various droids have reactions, both in the foreground and in the background in all these films. We have a GNK droid screaming as it is being tortured. We've got a Battle Droid groaning as it is dying. A Super Battle Droid knocking over a regular Battle Droid. We've got Imperial probes reacting to nearby intruders. We've got the mouse droid scurrying about.

That robot doesn't have an obvious face with giant eyes. That robot looks like a Star Wars robot, the ones on Mustafa look like they come from the V.I.N.CENT School of Robot Design.
    It's still a face on the GNK. As to the DLC-13's, the eyes are noticeable because of the background environment which requires them to be seen. Just like a Protocol droids eyes stand out in darkened areas.

The problem is that the stuff I'm talking about doesn't work as humor, it isn't funny...at least in the way it's meant to be funny. It's funny that those things are meant to be funny. It's funny that George Lucas made the choice of playing a scene with powerful music and Anakin making his mean face while also having a big eyed robot looking around like: There's some guy standing on my head, do you guys see this?
    Why wouldn't a droid react? If I stepped on your head, you'd react. It's looking around because it didn't see Anakin leaping into the air to land on him and it is being controlled by Anakin to chase Obi-wan. Snow falls on Artoo's head and he looks around.

That doesn't mean it was meant to be funny. We've seen various droids have reactions, both in the foreground and in the background in all these films. We have a GNK droid screaming as it is being tortured. We've got a Battle Droid groaning as it is dying. A Super Battle Droid knocking over a regular Battle Droid. We've got Imperial probes reacting to nearby intruders. We've got the mouse droid scurrying about.
    It's a bit, this isn't the first movie to do it, it's meant to be funny. Stuff like the Super Battle Droid hitting the regular Battle Droid is meant to be funny too. Why do you think that stuff is there, what do you think it's meant to be?

It's still a face on the GNK. As to the DLC-13's, the eyes are noticeable because of the background environment which requires them to be seen. Just like a Protocol droids eyes stand out in darkened areas.
    Not the same kind of face, it doesn't have an obvious face, that DLC-13 robot has big eyes on a thin "face" making the eyes look even bigger; these things were obviously chosen to sell the little bits Lucas was using them for in that final fight.

Why wouldn't a droid react? If I stepped on your head, you'd react. It's looking around because it didn't see Anakin leaping into the air to land on him and it is being controlled by Anakin to chase Obi-wan. Snow falls on Artoo's head and he looks around.
    You know this is a movie right, were all the things we're seeing were chosen for a reason? He didn't have to have the robot look around after someone landed on it's head, he didn't have to give the robot huge eyes so we can tell it's meant to be looking around...but he did, and it's meant to be funny. Hell, I can't see how anyone can't see it's meant to be funny; why would anyone think Lucas would cut to a close-up of just the robots face looking around after Anakin jumped on it? Do you think it's for drama, do you think it's to add tension...do you think that for no reason at all Lucas just wanted to show a close-up of a random robot looking around after someone jumped on what looks like the robots huge hat?

You know this is a movie right, were all the things we're seeing were chosen for a reason? He didn't have to have the robot look around after someone landed on it's head, he didn't have to give the robot huge eyes so we can tell it's meant to be looking around...but he did, and it's meant to be funny. Hell, I can't see how anyone can't see it's meant to be funny; why would anyone think Lucas would cut to a close-up of just the robots face looking around after Anakin jumped on it? Do you think it's for drama, do you think it's to add tension...do you think that for no reason at all Lucas just wanted to show a close-up of a random robot looking around after someone jumped on what looks like the robots huge hat?
    To establish that the droid realizes something is wrong, has stopped it's original task, and is going to start moving up the lava flow. Because if he didn't do that the complaints would've been about how the droid didn't react and so there was no reason for it to stop what it was doing and move up the lava flow with Anakin on its back.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    No, that robot looks like a walking trash can.
    ...To be fair...
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...