View Poll Results: Star Wars 7 director?

Voters
87. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Steven Spielberg (Friend of Lucas, has often come close to directing a SW)

7 8.05%
  • George Lucas again

3 3.45%
  • David Lynch (Almost directed ROTJ)

0 0%
  • David Filoni (director of Clone Wars movie and series)

3 3.45%
  • Christopher Nolan (The Dark Knight Trilogy)

4 4.60%
  • Joss Whedon (Serenity, Avengers, various TV series)

22 25.29%
  • J. J Abrams (Star Trek, Super 8, various TV series)

13 14.94%
  • Frank Darabont (Almost directed TPM)

0 0%
  • Kathleen Kennedy (Basically is co-chair of Lucasfilm)

0 0%
  • Gendy Tartovsky (The original Clone Wars micro series, various TV series and Hotel Transylvania)

4 4.60%
  • Brad Bird (Incredibles, Mission Impossible IV)

14 16.09%
  • Francis Ford Copolla (Godfather trilogy & friend of Lucas)

0 0%
  • Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings trilogy)

6 6.90%
  • Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrynth, Hellboy)

7 8.05%
  • others

4 4.60%
Page 135 of 144 FirstFirst ... 3585125131132133134135136137138139 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,025 of 2152

Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    IThe robots are there to collect the lava to make more Battle Droids. They fly into frame because they're still working, but their work is interrupted by two humans fighting each other.
    He's not talking about the lava miners that are on screen for all of two or three seconds is he?

I believe so. No one complains about the mouse droid in ANH.

those things are stupid and not serious and should be stricken from the film!!!

STRICKEN

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away......from fun
    Support your local roller derby league

And, oddly enough, the lava miners are so much more innocuous than the mouse droid ever was.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    And, oddly enough, the lava miners are so much more innocuous than the mouse droid ever was.
    The Mouse Droid didn't try to be funny in what was supposed to be the most dramatic scene of the entire trilogy.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

i liked the saber twirling in the duel. it is not uncommon that duelists build up to look out for flaws in their opponents defense.
    what takes me out of the climax of the pt storyline is this

mickey mouse dialog
    but since there wasn´t really a tragedy of anakin skywalker, what should they have refered too?
    wow, would the pt´s have been awesome if there had been some real vader downfall arc

the fall of anakin is just not there. that is wrong with 80% of mat001´s arguments, thing´s like how the jedi order were compromised are just not in the movies. it is all commentaries and EU

biggest fail is syfo dias. creation of the clone army? nah we just mention that, should be enough. it is the prime example how storytelling is flawed in the PT imo.
    the list is near endless though

the OT might have it´s plot holes, but, in itself it is a functional story. the PT on the other hand, and i think it was fleshed out with CLONES, is making a sane person wanna smash his head against a wall. it wasn´t until EP2 that i look so hard on the body of work. GL still had 2 movies to fix the crap.

but AOTC was dead after 2 minutes to me. after the wonderful landing scene, we get the horrbile, plastic acting in the assasiontion squence. that, sadfully, set the tone of the movie.
    aotc is the worst of them all, even if it has my most beloved theme, aross the stars.
    sigh, imagine...
    Last edited by sherlockbones; 01-05-2013 at 04:56 PM.

maybe we missed the mouse droid that drove thru the vader/kenobi duel in the latest edition of a new hope

but i don´t have big problems with the droids on mustarfar either. i was far more concerned with the movies message of sending anakin to this mining planet, to cover all tracks of the new emporer´s involvement in the CIS cause.
    it´s like other person´s have pointed out, after EP1, when all the selfish neimodions were suppossed to be arrested, none of them yelled "ain´t our fault! the hologram guy made us do it!"

they´re the true believers of star wars. they knew holo guy would end up as emporer and if they´d sell him out, he´d have their heads on a pike, 15 years later... why did they follow hologram orders?!?
    like, if they´d actually stopped the queen from leaving naboo, palps would have never been chancellor. mhh, maybe don´t go into that specific corner of madness...

mat001 sure has answers, but they are not in the movie
    Last edited by sherlockbones; 01-05-2013 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sherlockbones View Post
    i liked the saber twirling in the duel. it is not uncommon that duelists build up to look out for flaws in their opponents defense.
    Not when they're standing an inch away from each other, though. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by sherlockbones View Post
    mickey mouse dialog
    "I have failed you, Manakin! I have failed you!"

"From my point of view, the Jedi are evil!"

Hahahaha...talk about atrocious. "The Jedi are evil, because I'm too stupid to think for myself and this crochety old man who now resembles a 'melted Alan Alda'* told me so!!" LMFAO!!

*Btw, who was it who said that? That was hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    The Mouse Droid didn't try to be funny in what was supposed to be the most dramatic scene of the entire trilogy.
    The lava miners weren't supposed to funny, they were just there doing their job. At best they were part of the scenery.
    ...And does Mr. Goddanm Batman says so much as ''Thanks''? OF COURSE not. That'd hardly be GRIM AND GRITTY, would it?

The jerk...

-DKU's Jim Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    I never got that

of course, Im starting to think you don't like any levity or humor at all in your fiction

things must be serious and stern at all times

tell me, do you have a favorite comedy? or is it all just drivel to you?

Will that was a stupid post, I must not like comedy because I don't like the "comedy" stylings of the Star Wars prequels? You might not have gotten that they're meant to be funny, but it's clear they're meant to be funny; they've got cartoonish, obvious faces...one even flies into view while they're fighting, lookings back and fourth, and then skadoodles out of there while making wobbly cartoon noises.

I'm not the only one.

Indeed, that's one good way to look at it. A fight where both give their all.

Well, it did lead into the double Force push that they both try to use on each other. It was a combat technique that they had developed and used. It shows how alike they have, having spent thirteen years training and fighting together. I find it no more sillier than when Arnold Schwarzenegger did it in both Conan films, during a particular fight scene.

The robots are there to collect the lava to make more Battle Droids. They fly into frame because they're still working, but their work is interrupted by two humans fighting each other.
    Jesus...really? Is that why those droids were there? You mean within the world Star Wars they weren't build to be a comedic element for anyone that just so happened to be viewing the lava planet? Thank you for that.

The Mexican James Bond Guapo Méndez's Avatar

How many showings did you hear this at? How many theaters?
    I only went to one, two times, but the thing is the 14-year old queen was there because Lucas de-aged Anakin too much, and in consequence, had to de-age Amidala.

Only the fanboys gave that much of a crap about such details.
    No matter how much Lucapologists want to spin it, the truth is that 35 million stayed away from AOTC.

And again, you continue to miss it. Let's put it another way; take two movies about religion. Film one is about dealing with one's own faith, while film number two deals with the person's own personal relationships and his issues of faith aren't important to the film. Meaning, he is of the church, but the story isn't about faith, but about something else. The OT is about Luke trusting in the Force to stop the Empire and the Sith, due to his lack of knowledge and experience. The PT is about Anakin's struggles between good and evil and figuring out the right path. Having the Midichlorians doesn't automatically take away from the faith aspect. The faith still exists in the PT, but the faith is about something else. It's about a larger issue which is having faith in the Force to fight nature, when others tell you it cannot be done. In the OT, it's about having faith in the Force that it can do what is deemed impossible.

This is about the two parts of the story, from two different viewpoints and dealing with different situations.
    Then you don't call them prequels. That dissection belongs in the sequels, where you can expand what you already know in an order that can be understood better. Prequels were tied to what was already laid down. Lucas just thought he could move all this stuff and pretend it would make sense.

Except for the part where Palpatine tells Anakin that manipulation of the Midichlorians can result in the creation of life and the prevention of death. The Jedi know that the kids have the ability to use the Force, which is why Obi-wan asks Yoda if it is possible for the twins to defeat Sidious, since they failed to do so. Which in turn leads to hiding them.
    A mention by a master manipulator, trying like hell to get someone under his wing? Nah. And still the midichlorians do nothing to sell how they were able to hide them. George Lucas said he didn't think about Palpatine and Vader being able to detect them in the years Leia was in the senate. He didn't think about it.

Except you're wrong.

1. Luke's relationship with Leia becomes platonic in TESB, thanks to Kershner and Kurtz cutting those scenes out.

2. The Jedi don't discourage Luke from his relationships with Han and Leia, they discourage him from leaving Dagobah.

3. The Jedi have changed their methods between ROTS and ANH.
    They allow him to develop attachments when they leave him with Owen, instead of leaving him with Yoda in Dagobah -the familiar place he never went to.
    They don't bat an eyelid when they talk about Luke's father -when having a family was anathema to Jedis and when his father personally slaughtered jedis.
    There's changing your methods and there's pulling a rabbit out of a Force hat.

The PT is the Jedi in the twilight of their existence. It can be different from the OT and that's what we get.
    I would have laughed if I had known that the jedis they talked about in the OT were the incompetent bufoons they are in the PT.

The Jedi weren't incompetent. They did the right things, but were beaten by someone who chose to betray them.
    Massively incompetent from the time Anakin registered in their late-learners class to the way they handled the twins, if we go by the midichlorian count bullcrap.

Sidious didn't hope for it, he manipulated events into unfolding the way he wanted them to. He knew that he couldn't get Padme to go along with it willingly, which is why he gave consent for the assassination attempts, so that she would be out of the way and he could then manipulate someone else into willingly giving him what he wanted. Besides, a true master of the Force cannot manipulate minds with the Force, that are strong willed.
    Another wasted opportunity to create pathos.

Nothing is ever trouble-free. You can still find it in the OT as well, long before the PT.
    Never said the OT is trouble-free. But the PT is beyond redemption.

No, he's not. Lucas could have easily wrote that Han starts to believe and you'd swallow it whole.
    A 180° like that would have killed the character.

It wasn't dropped because it was a crappy idea. It was dropped because Lucas changed the situation that the whole sequence was designed for and pushed it to another scene.
    And it's cringe-worthy.

There is no duty that says that they have to make it mandatory testing. That becomes conscription and that goes against the Jedi way, one of the very things that people accused the Jedi of doing on various message boards. The Jedi preferred to let those who wanted their children to be trained, to make the decision for themselves. If they said yes, then vunderbar. If not, then so be it and they moved on. They didn't go into the Outer Rim like that, because unless they were invited to, they had no reason to be there. The rules and boarders were set up long ago, long before the Jedi Order of the PT came into existence. Passage could be granted, but the Jedi tended to stay out. They had no authority out there. And as to the prophecy, they didn't believe in it. That's why there was doubt as to Anakin's being the Chosen One, when Qui-gon brings it up.
    See what a poorly-thought concept does? He gives them a physical element to help determine what Jedis are made for and then just ignores the ramifications with "meh, the Jedi wouldn't do that." The Force was generated by living beings and it was a force field, an energy and when people died, they would join the other energy. It had a good side and a bad side and using too much of it would start to take over you. You had to keep proving yourself, fight the bad side and work with the good side.

Luke knew by TESB that he was the Jedi's last hope for stopping the Sith. The Jedi knew that Luke and Leia could be the hope necessary, because of their father. The point of view for Luke is different from Obi-wan and Yoda in the films.
    And still not a peep about midichlorians. He was just a boy who believed he had a shot at taking out the two biggest badguys in the galaxy.

Again, the Midichlorians aren't sensed. The disturbance that one generates through their presence in the Force is felt. But it is not always sensed by the others. Remember that Luke hid from his father for a whole year, without being felt while he was on Tatooine. Obi-wan went to Tatooine because Yoda wanted Luke raised by the Lars and they knew that Vader would not go there. And when in orbit twenty years later, he sends a detachment of troops planet side, instead of personally supervising the mission.
    The way the Force worked had things best left unexplained in the OT, but the way they handled it in the PT with the midichlorian fiasco is appalling. The Sith had a way all along to figure out who was Force sensitive and who wasn't and they didn't use it. Vader had Leia under his clutches and she defied his interrogation techniques and he never thought about taking a blood sample and findig out? The way Vader acts in Star Wars is consistent with the way someon acts when there is no physical way to find out who is Force-sensitive and who isnt'.

Sure, you can. That's been proven in the EU. Even the stuff that Lucas approves of, such as the cartoons, have that as well.
    I heard the Jedis got together and severed someone's connection to the Force. Turns out all they needed was a good geneticist or a chemist to make them a pill, a vaccine or something to take out the midichlorians.

Which she didn't. Leia didn't go to have her Jedi training yet. She was on her way to pick up Obi-wan, which is when she would probably have been trained. Leia doesn't divulge the location of the Rebel base because of the Force. That's why Vader is impressed by her resistance. He doesn't suspect Force ability, but he suspects that she has a very strong mind. Besides, Leia and her father were already under scrutiny to begin with due to the Alliance. That's why Vader says that he knows that she is connect to it.
    And he didn't think to give her a blood check.
    Well, now that the Jedi aren't in charge, why didn't Palpatine order mandatory blood tests? That would be a good way to get rid of potential troublemakers, not too mention a good way to find an apprentice that doesn't need to park in the handicapable spot.

Because it's not about the Midichlorians being felt. It's about the Force. The Force exists and can be felt by those who are able to make a connection to the Force and a particular tremor that results in that connection.
    She could have manifested Force powers and caused a disturbance in the Force -and her proximity to the Emperor would be enough to pick up even a minor blip.

No, because he didn't start using the Force until he was near Vader for him to feel it.
    When he started believing he could use the Force and he used it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    I don't understand how people can pick virtually all the films apart pointing out every little error and still consider themselves to be Star Wars fans. If you hate virtually every aspect of the series, then you are not a fan of the series. You are just a complainer masquerading as a fan. True fans forgive the flaws because the overall story strikes a chord in their souls.

Me, I prefer to enjoy the films despite their flaws instead of tearing them apart to make myself feel superior in a "Look how good I am, I could do these films better than the guy who created them" kind of way.
    Hilarious, man.

Hilarious.

True fans. Heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Guapo Méndez View Post
    Hilarious, man.

Hilarious.

True fans. Heh.
    Well, Phil is the guy who has already blessed humanity with deep, mind blowing, world shaking statements as "there is more in life than Star Wars" for example.

I mean, since the day i read that stroke of genius i never have been the same you know, it changed my life in so many ways.

In the name of mankind, thank you Phil. Thanks you so much. You certainly are one in a million.