View Poll Results: Star Wars 7 director?

Voters
87. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Steven Spielberg (Friend of Lucas, has often come close to directing a SW)

7 8.05%
  • George Lucas again

3 3.45%
  • David Lynch (Almost directed ROTJ)

0 0%
  • David Filoni (director of Clone Wars movie and series)

3 3.45%
  • Christopher Nolan (The Dark Knight Trilogy)

4 4.60%
  • Joss Whedon (Serenity, Avengers, various TV series)

22 25.29%
  • J. J Abrams (Star Trek, Super 8, various TV series)

13 14.94%
  • Frank Darabont (Almost directed TPM)

0 0%
  • Kathleen Kennedy (Basically is co-chair of Lucasfilm)

0 0%
  • Gendy Tartovsky (The original Clone Wars micro series, various TV series and Hotel Transylvania)

4 4.60%
  • Brad Bird (Incredibles, Mission Impossible IV)

14 16.09%
  • Francis Ford Copolla (Godfather trilogy & friend of Lucas)

0 0%
  • Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings trilogy)

6 6.90%
  • Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrynth, Hellboy)

7 8.05%
  • others

4 4.60%
Page 130 of 144 FirstFirst ... 3080120126127128129130131132133134140 ... LastLast
Results 1,936 to 1,950 of 2152

Quote Originally Posted by Sonofspam View Post
    Better than the originals? hearsay !
    Oh i bet they are.
    Main character probably won't be a constantly whining farmboy who wants to get in his sisters pants, 3rd one won't have teddy bears fighting the evil empire, and the 2nd one...well, everyone likes that one, but i'm sure theres something horrible about it i'm forgetting.
    Innapropriate screen wipes for transitions?

I hope whoever disney recruits doesn't think Lucas weaknesses as a film maker aren't what makes Star Wars money.

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    It's where Darth Maul got his double-bladed lighsaber from...
    That was just them thinking "Hey, that's cool". I dunno if story bits are involved in that.
    But fair enough.

Some Disney type decides to make midichlorians non-canonic when the next film coems around, then that'll be that. (and there'll be much rejoicing)
    Much rejoicing indeed.

I am guessing they will ignore the prequels, they didn't talk much about them in the original three films.
    Lol!

With George gone, G-canon is also not relevant anymore.
    This is a common misnomer. George is not gone. He sold the company and the rights to the stories, but he is still around as a consultant. Disney will still listen to his input, but when push comes to shove, George no longer has the FINAL say if the studio thinks his input is not smart for the brand. But as George CREATED the brand, to totally ignore his input would be a level of folly. And as I read the announcements, it is Georges story outlines that are shaping episodes 7-9. But an outline is FAR from a finished treatment, much less a final shooting script.

Plus, people pour SO MUCH TIME into make such an expansive comic and book universe, it would be just EVIL for Disney to squash it all.
    and?

that doesn't mean they are owed anything...just means Lucas has more of their money
    Support your local roller derby league

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    Sounds like wishful thinking to me, and I was paying attention just fine, thanks.
    Wishful thinking? How so? Even without the behind the scenes knowledge that midichlorians were based on the idea of mitochondria, their descriptions, save for allowing people to communicate and manipulate the Force of course, are fairly similar and the name is a pretty unsubtle nod in and of itself. I guess maybe if you didn't know about mitochondria, but even then that's pretty easy to find out about.....

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Does Kotor matter?
    Like, even if its cannon, isn't it thousands of years before the movies?
    You never hear the old old sith lords mentioned in the films, i can't recall hearing about the sith empire mentioned a single time for example.
    Because its thousands of years before the movies and it's really good. All the more reason that it should be canon.

Another question for star wars superfans!
    Lets say im a jedi, but i really want to shoot lightening out of my hands.
    Can i learn to do that without being evil? Like...learn darkside stuff without being on the darkside?
    Depends. A few Jedi have in some of the EU stuff but they tended to be sparing in its use as it pushed them close to the Dark Side. Luke Skywalker used it in the Dark Nest Trilogy. Cade Skywalker used a variant of Force-lightning to help heal people as well as hurt them in the Legacy comic, but he was going back and forth between the light and dark sides.

I guess the best answer would be yes, if you practiced enough, and very carefully?

Quote Originally Posted by SediarSago View Post
    Just as long as the books and comics aren't contradicted, I'm perfectly fine. Games shouldn't really matter because they are just that, Video Games. You don't NEED them to be canon for people to enjoy them. However, with books and comics, if they are non canon, it ends up being that they have no bearing on Star Wars Universe, so now for the fans collecting the "sequels" they are now useless. Plus, people pour SO MUCH TIME into make such an expansive comic and book universe, it would be just EVIL for Disney to squash it all.
    Firstly... Disney isn't likely to squash it all. That stuff is out, and available for anyone to read if they desire. I don't see Disney putting an end to the publishing of EU stories. Just because they are not going to adapt any of it (which isn't certain or clear) does not make it non-existent or useless. This isn't an all or nothing situation. Disney can pick and choose what they want to adapt. And for people that want to enjoy the EU stories, they are still welcome to do so. But at the same time, if Disney/Lucasfilm wants to do a story that contradicts the books or comics, that is also their prerogative. The only thing they are pretty much bound not to contradict is anything in the films or to a lesser extent the Clone Wars series.

Perhaps the original post-ROTJ stuff will be re-branded as "infinities" (The infinities level of canon-basically stories that were non-canon where anything could happen-included the What if? Star Wars trilogy series, as well as a good chunk of Dark Horse's Star Wars tales stories, such as one where Han dies on Earth and is discovered centuries later by Indiana Jones!). Then again, not sure who owns the Infinities label....

The Clone Wars series certainly did a lot of retconning of previous Clone Wars series such as the Tartovsky stuff, Dark Horse's Republic/Jedi/Obsession/Clone Wars Adventures series as well as the Karen Traviss stuff were all pretty much swept away; so there's sort of two different storylines that lead into ROTS. As I mentioned before the DC Star Trek series also went off on it's own tangent (With Kirk in command of Excelsior and the Bird of Prey, everybody getting a pardon etc. and Spock leaving Enterprise to go to another ship, with Saavik taking his place) after Star Trek III but had to pretty much undo a lot of stuff when Star Trek IV came around. So we might have a similar situation here.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 01-02-2013 at 01:34 PM.

I've never understood something.
    So, let's say disney says "Ok, it's over, all that stuff that isn't the movies is non cannon!"
    Does that means the books and comics people own dissapear and all copies burn up meaning they can never read them again.
    Example: do you enjoy Kotor less if you know that it isn't cannon?

I would actually be relieved if crap like Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi were made non-canon.

Then again, in my head, they already are.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

Quote Originally Posted by Guapo Méndez View Post
    Having Amidala be that age serves just one purpose: to make the romance between her and Anakin possible. It's not a drawback to have a young, inexperienced queen because Palpatine fooled everyone.
    It's not really a make and break situation. How many people were leaving the theaters to bitch about that and not the other things?

I never said they couldn't be that. I said the couldn't be manipulated by science -which is odd, because they are microscopic particles that can be detected and quantified.
    Unique to the DNA of one person. That's why blood transfusions from a Jedi to a normal person does nothing.

"I can't believe it."
    "That is why you fail."
    Because Luke was twenty three and didn't think it was possible. None of that changes nothing about his ability to do it. Just why he had trouble doing it. Nine year old Anakin would not question his ability to lift an N-1 Fighter, if he were instructed to do so. That's why Yoda says, "You must unlearn, what you have learned". You're problem is that it has to be one or the other, because you don't like the concept. The reality is that both work in tandem. Midichlorians are why the Jedi and Sith can do what they do. They have to believe in it through the training. That is a large part of the training.

Just like Han being a green alien and Obi-Wan Kenobi having a metallic arm that broke apart quite easily, those were concepts that never made it into the movie. sometimes the author goes too far in one direction and it's better to leave those out of the book/movie.
    No, that's different. That's developing the characters. The cybernetic arm started off with Kane Starkiller, went to Montrose, then to Obi-wan and finally to Vader. The only change was Vader doesn't smash his arm at all, but Obi-wan retains the same dialogue about being too old that the others have. Han being an alien isn't much different, since the character continued to change and evolve and that green alien went on to become Greedo.

The OT is about believing in yourself and using the Force as an ally to vanquish evil.
    And that is true in the PT as well. None of which takes away from why it was Luke and Luke alone, instead of Luke and Han.

Again, stuff that never made it into the movie. And it doesn't help the "Leia has a lot of midichlorians because she's Anakin's daughter" bit.
    It's stuff that shows that Lucas was working with Midichlorians in mind, back in 77.

But Jedi's aren't allowed to marry, so they can't pass the midichlorians to their offspring and create a Force-strong family.
    Midichlorians cannot be coerced by scientific means in order to put midichlorians into a body which had none or to increase the count in an individual.
    A couple with low -or nonexistant- midichlorians can have a high midichlorian baby.
    Anakin has no father and we're given the vague explanation that he might have been conceived by the Force.

So what is the purpose the midichlorians serve? Jedis cannot marry and pass them to their kids, science can't manipulate them and the highest midi ever was somehow created by them.
    The purpose is that the Jedi found new recruits by using Midichlorian tests, which we see Qui-gon do with Anakin. That was not the first time, given the conversation between Obi-wan and Qui-gon. The purpose also explains why Anakin's children are capable of defeating their father and the Emperor in ROTS and into the OT.

George said he needed the pod race, the prophecy and the high midichlorian count to sell kid Vader. That's it. When asked how Vader and Palpatine missed that Leia -packed with midichlorians because she was the daughter of the high-midiclorian champion of the galaxy- he said he didn't think about it that way. That is a major error within your own story, with the parameters you've already set.
    You're forgetting, the Jedi and Sith aren't sensing Midichlorians, they're sensing the Force when it is active within a Jedi, which is why both children were hidden. They're not after those who have Midichlorians in general. They're after people who have Jedi training which is why they're after Luke in TESB and ROTJ. Everyone has Midichlorians, but not everyone can learn the ways of the Force without training. Sidious considers Luke a threat when he senses the disturbance in the Force, which occurs right after Luke arrives on Dagobah. Sidious even states that Luke must not become a Jedi, because he can destroy them. And when Luke chooses to be a Jedi at the end of ROTJ, Sidious decides to kill him. They're not going to test Leia, because she's not a Jedi. She has no training. Vader only takes an interest when he learns that he has a daughter from Luke.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    You never hear the old old sith lords mentioned in the films, i can't recall hearing about the sith empire mentioned a single time for example.
    ROTS. Sidious and Mace both mentioned that the Sith ruled the galaxy once and would again.

That was just them thinking "Hey, that's cool". I dunno if story bits are involved in that.
    But fair enough.
    Lucas liked the idea when he saw a sketch of Exar Kun, who had the dual bladed saber. The cartoons use both film lore and EU lore, though some of the latter is changed.

Quote Originally Posted by carabas
    Some Disney type decides to make midichlorians non-canonic when the next film coems around, then that'll be that. (and there'll be much rejoicing)
    That's unlikely as that involves taking out the PT. Besides, I doubt they're concerned with fanboys.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P
    I would actually be relieved if crap like Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi were made non-canon.

Then again, in my head, they already are.
    It's already out because VII through IX are coming and that will put all of those stories in doubt.
    Last edited by Mat001; 01-02-2013 at 02:50 PM.

BANNED

I've never understood something.
    So, let's say disney says "Ok, it's over, all that stuff that isn't the movies is non cannon!"
    Does that means the books and comics people own dissapear and all copies burn up meaning they can never read them again.
    Example: do you enjoy Kotor less if you know that it isn't cannon?
    Absolutly. the way the EU works is that everyone references and builds on the stuff others did. Just like IRL historians.