View Poll Results: Star Wars 7 director?

Voters
87. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Steven Spielberg (Friend of Lucas, has often come close to directing a SW)

7 8.05%
  • George Lucas again

3 3.45%
  • David Lynch (Almost directed ROTJ)

0 0%
  • David Filoni (director of Clone Wars movie and series)

3 3.45%
  • Christopher Nolan (The Dark Knight Trilogy)

4 4.60%
  • Joss Whedon (Serenity, Avengers, various TV series)

22 25.29%
  • J. J Abrams (Star Trek, Super 8, various TV series)

13 14.94%
  • Frank Darabont (Almost directed TPM)

0 0%
  • Kathleen Kennedy (Basically is co-chair of Lucasfilm)

0 0%
  • Gendy Tartovsky (The original Clone Wars micro series, various TV series and Hotel Transylvania)

4 4.60%
  • Brad Bird (Incredibles, Mission Impossible IV)

14 16.09%
  • Francis Ford Copolla (Godfather trilogy & friend of Lucas)

0 0%
  • Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings trilogy)

6 6.90%
  • Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrynth, Hellboy)

7 8.05%
  • others

4 4.60%
Page 97 of 144 FirstFirst ... 478793949596979899100101107 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 2152

Quote Originally Posted by jediracer View Post
    In the movies? No. Though Leia's comment about Luke "being a little short" does make you think about that.

It's also interesting to note that no one other than Luke, Obi-Wan, Han, and Leia actually call them "Stormtroopers," lending credibility to the fact that it may have actually been a slang term.
    I didn't care if they said it in the movies, i was just wondering the official word on it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I didn't care if they said it in the movies, i was just wondering the official word on it.
    Well, that was the official word, now with the new movies it's all up for grabs I suppose....

they were like #3 in Multiplicity...copy of a copy of a copy
    Support your local roller derby league

Well, that was the official word, now with the new movies it's all up for grabs I suppose....
    Not a huge deal, i've never been a big star wars fan, came out before i was born and never saw them till that rerelease in...whenever, the one pre prequels.

Indeed. In TCW, we saw one Jango clone had a deformed body. And a team was failing to pass an obstacle course until they chose to be more creative. Not mentioned in AOTC, was a bit where Lama Su said that Jango's DNA needed to be extracted regularly. The more it's used, the less potent it became.

Quote Originally Posted by verslibre View Post
    The pod race in TPM is filler. And it's boring.
    It's filler, but most of Star Wars is filler.

It is dearfully boring filler though, that anybody who's already seen it is likely to fast-forward though.

The same can't be said about the asteroid field, the speeder bike chase, or even 90% of the rest of episode 1.

The pod race is the worst part of an already very bad film.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    The same can't be said about the asteroid field, the speeder bike chase, or even 90% of the rest of episode 1.

The pod race is the worst part of an already very bad film.
    Precisely what I was getting at. In a movie that is already (mostly) unnecessary, it's a containerful of whipped cream smothered all over a sh!t pie.

I can only imagine the reaction when the first slivers of information start to leak out...concept art, script synopsis

I expect the dark corners of the internet to collapse in on themselves

Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    Because they believe he is the Chosen One, based on what he did during the Battle of Naboo. If he is the Chosen One, then he has to be trained. They begin to trust him after ten years. The reason for the mistrust is because he had fear for his mother. Fear was the first step to the dark side, as established in TESB.

Didn't they think he was the Chosen One before the Battle of Naboo? Beside that they also think the kid's to dangerous to train, even at the end of the movie this is something that comes up, so they can't just be cool with little Annie after he accidentally blew a ship up. They also don't ever seem to trust him, but even if they did begin to after ten years, that doesn't have anything to do with Phantom Menace and them letting Obi-Wan train him.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    I can only imagine the reaction when the first slivers of information start to leak out...concept art, script synopsis

I expect the dark corners of the internet to collapse in on themselves
    Since Lucas and McCullum dont seem to be that involved this time, I have a sneaking suspicion that the internet will be (by some small bit) slightly more forgiving.
    Eh, Comics is a pretty cool guy...

It's a complication during the mission from which the characters must extract themselves. Nothing wrong with that scene.
    It's unnecessary and can cut the film down by five minutes.
    In Storytelling 101, complications are what make things interesting. Otherwise, James Bond would have the easiest job on the planet. I know I don't have to remind you (of all people), but they ended up there trying to get away from another threat.

Likewise, a complication. A temporary refuge in an asteroid field turns out to be anything but. I don't have an issue with it, even though you have a giant space slug that can live in the vacuum of space and still roars even though there's no air.
    Still unnecessary. They can take refuge on a moon that's either a dead planetoid, or similar to Endor and Yavin 4.
    Weren't they having problems with the Falcon's hyperdrive, with TIE Fighters right on their asses? There was no moon conveniently nearby. That thing they ducked into was indeed comparable to a dead planetoid. It just doubled as a giant snail shell. Plus, if they didn't get out of there and emerged from the field with even one TIE Fighter out there, an Imperial cruiser could have come out of nowhere.

We're in agreement here. That scene's stupid because they all should've eaten bark quickly if not instantaneously. A number of other momentary conflicts could have been exploited in lieu of.
    You're missing my point. I'm showing that there's things that can be cut out in the OT.
    You're overemphasizing making cuts for the sake of time lengths as opposed to making cuts to aid, not impede, the course of the story.

The pod race in TPM is filler. And it's boring.
    The Bootna Eve is part of a complication in getting to Courscant, since the hyperdrive is damaged and needs to be replaced.
    The pod race was a woefully boring aspect, overall. It was written and executed expressly for the 11 & under group. Luca$ forgot about everybody who saw his movies in '77-'83.

The difference is they were part of the action. Manakin's mom had nobody. She was trying to sustain an existence in a hostile environment.
    It doesn't matter if they were fighting in a war, or living a comfortable life. People die. It happens. Anakin couldn't accept that when it was people that mattered to him. Padme wasn't fighting in the war, when Anakin started having visions of her death in childbirth. That's what it all comes down to and what Yoda said was that death is natural. One must accept it and not live in fear. Anakin couldn't do that. He was afraid of change which is why Shmi said that he cannot stop change. It is why when he is dying himself, he tells Luke that he cannot stop him from dying.

Anakin's greatest fear was death.
    It's a pretty argument in Jedi philosophy, but it still comes off as bogus that nothing could have been done about her beforehand. No doubt hers wasn't ever the only unfortunate occurrence of its kind.
    Last edited by verslibre; 12-03-2012 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothDZX View Post
    Since Lucas and McCullum dont seem to be that involved this time, I have a sneaking suspicion that the internet will be (by some small bit) slightly more forgiving.
    maybe....but depending on who fills those roles, especially naming a director

the expectations may get overblown

The Mexican James Bond Guapo Méndez's Avatar

I don't understand what you mean by "for the triangle to work" ... obviously the "triangle" is over as soon as she realizes she loves Han, which as I said is about 3/4 of the way through Empire.
    The triangle is still alive and well in ROTJ because, after everything Leia did when Han was coming out of the carbonite freeze, one visit from Luke and he was jealous as hell. What was it what he told Leia?

Han Solo: You love him,
    [pause]
    Han Solo: don't you?
    Princess Leia: Yes.
    Han Solo: All right. I understand. Fine. When he comes back, I won't get in the way.
    Princess Leia: Oh, Han, it's not like that at all. He's my brother.

Obviously, Han should have gone "wait, didn't you kiss him to spite me in Hoth? What the hell are you two playing at?

He's dangerous because he was too old to begin the training, because he has the negative emotions within him.
    Oh, yeah. The previously unseen age limits disqualifying Anakin from training. Number one blunder made by a supposed Jedi Master. They won't train him because he's dangerous and yet they won't not train him because that would be dangerous. They don't keep him in Coruscant when Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan have to return to Naboo, but they don't send him to Tatooine either. They also know he's too big to be taught the calming aspects of Jedihood, but they don't lift a finger to remove the one element that keeps him in fear: the safety of his mother.

There was still a lot that needed to be focused on. How Palpatine rose to power, which we see in TPM and AOTC. We see how the Clone Army and subsequent Clone Wars came about. We see the relationship between Anakin and Padme. We learn of Anakin's beginnings with his mother and his desire to do good. We get all the important details in each film.
    Surrounded by a lot of filler. Too many characters, disposable villains, too many factions and not enough of the important character.

So you would be fine if you found out your father, a man whom you idolized, but never met, was a serial killer? You wouldn't go off the deep end?
    He could have had his breakdown earlier, instead of in Cloud City, after losing a hand to Vader, and then he could have started working in the "let's redeem him" plot.

We can delete the garbage compactor in ANH, the asteroid field in TESB and the Speeder Bike chase in ROTJ.
    Nope, that adds emotion to the movie. I agree with the speeder bike chase, but then again, I don't like a lot of the stuff in Jedi, starting with the Ewoks.

The point is that Anakin had to let go of his mother period. Worrying about his attachments, regardless of how close or far away there are, will change his inability to let go of them. Just as Luke had to let go of his sister and his friends, in ROTJ.
    It's a bit different in the case of the Rebel Alliance leader and a constantly-on-the-wrong-side-of-the-law smuggler. Shmee is just a slave with zero special skills and combat training. Even if Luke hadn't gone to Cloud City (Yoda was, in fact, expecting him not to go), Lando would have set them free. The ones he could, anyway.

Because they believe he is the Chosen One, based on what he did during the Battle of Naboo. If he is the Chosen One, then he has to be trained. They begin to trust him after ten years. The reason for the mistrust is because he had fear for his mother. Fear was the first step to the dark side, as established in TESB.
    Keeping his mother safe would have shaved 9 years, 11 months and 29 days off that time. They would have had a grateful Chosen One.

Correction, the love triangle was already dissolved in TESB. Luke and Leia only have two scenes where they interact and most of the time, she's clearly in love with Han.

As shown above, the picture was taking from TESB during the making of the film and was cut. All scene where Luke and Leia had an inclination for a relationship, never made it into the film. What was left was a scene where Leia kisses Luke to make Han jealous, since they earlier discussed the idea of kissing and she stated she would rather kiss a Wookiee. Because Kershner cut those other scenes out, there is no love triangle in TESB and by ROTJ, Lucas decided to make them related since that door was already closed.
    Like I said earlier, Han still believed Luke to be a competitor until the brother revelation.
    Last edited by Guapo Méndez; 12-03-2012 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    But if you watch the performance of Sir Alec Guinness very carefully, he displays the tells of a person who is not telling the truth as he first tells Luke about Anakin and about Vader. I believe that Lucas told Guinness that the story was a lie, and to play it that way.
    I think that was Guinness trying to make the exposition interesting. He's just that good.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    maybe....but depending on who fills those roles, especially naming a director

the expectations may get overblown
    Yeah, good point. No Lucas/Rick plus a decent director could have a reverse effect where people get too optimistic and set their hopes too high.
    Eh, Comics is a pretty cool guy...