View Poll Results: Star Wars 7 director?

Voters
87. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Steven Spielberg (Friend of Lucas, has often come close to directing a SW)

    7 8.05%
  • George Lucas again

    3 3.45%
  • David Lynch (Almost directed ROTJ)

    0 0%
  • David Filoni (director of Clone Wars movie and series)

    3 3.45%
  • Christopher Nolan (The Dark Knight Trilogy)

    4 4.60%
  • Joss Whedon (Serenity, Avengers, various TV series)

    22 25.29%
  • J. J Abrams (Star Trek, Super 8, various TV series)

    13 14.94%
  • Frank Darabont (Almost directed TPM)

    0 0%
  • Kathleen Kennedy (Basically is co-chair of Lucasfilm)

    0 0%
  • Gendy Tartovsky (The original Clone Wars micro series, various TV series and Hotel Transylvania)

    4 4.60%
  • Brad Bird (Incredibles, Mission Impossible IV)

    14 16.09%
  • Francis Ford Copolla (Godfather trilogy & friend of Lucas)

    0 0%
  • Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings trilogy)

    6 6.90%
  • Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrynth, Hellboy)

    7 8.05%
  • others

    4 4.60%
Page 94 of 144 FirstFirst ... 4484909192939495969798104 ... LastLast
Results 1,396 to 1,410 of 2152
  1. #1396
    The Mexican James Bond Guapo Méndez's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    6,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    The Jedi didn't trust Anakin at first, but they did come to trust him. Hence the Council feeling confident in letting Anakin go off on his own the first time and later promoting him to Jedi Knight, giving him a Padawan and the task of keeping tabs on the Chancellor. They lost faith in him because of his actions. As to your other issue, the Jedi were beaten by their own hubris. Something that happens to the Empire twenty years later.
    The first movie is wasted on Pee Wee Vader. 80% of the story in TPM is filler.


    No, it turns out that Obi-wan told a fib because if he told Luke the truth, he would have crushed the boy's spirit. The boy wasn't emotionally mature enough to deal with the fact that his father's betrayal and descent into evil. That doesn't change that Obi-wan's honorable status, much less being one of the great Jedi. Even Vader still respected him twenty years later.

    Besides, a man of honor will still tell lies. Obi-wan was thinking of Luke's welfare and emotional being, by telling him a half truth. Believing that once he was trained, he would be ready for the truth and could accept it. Note that when he's told, he refuses to believe it even when Vader tells him that he knows it is the truth. Later on, Luke is finally able to accept the truth which is what Vader comments on when they meet again.
    Nope. During Star Wars, Vader and Anakin Skywalker were not the same person. "From a certain point of view" is an after-the-fact explanation, trying to turn a plot hole into an ace-in-the-hole.

  2. #1397
    Elder Member Mat001's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guapo Méndez View Post
    The first movie is wasted on Pee Wee Vader. 80% of the story in TPM is filler.
    No, it is not wasted. It shows us why Anakin was not to be trusted, among other things.

    Nope. During Star Wars, Vader and Anakin Skywalker were not the same person. "From a certain point of view" is an after-the-fact explanation, trying to turn a plot hole into an ace-in-the-hole.
    Doesn't matter. It still applies.

    Quote Originally Posted by J. Robb
    The Keystone Knights.
    I wouldn't go that far. The Jedi were effective. Just because they were deceived by a Sith Lord, doesn't mean that they were ineffectual.
    Last edited by Mat001; 12-02-2012 at 12:36 PM.

  3. #1398

    Default

    The Phantom Spinach could have been condensed to a 15-minute prologue and tacked on to one film that incorporated the most important aspects of Clown Wars and R.O.T.S.. That would've resulted in two openings for other films that might've been halfway interesting.

  4. #1399
    The Mexican James Bond Guapo Méndez's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    6,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    No, it is not wasted. It shows us why Anakin was not to be trusted, among other things.
    Why can't we trust Anakin in TPM? We're given no reason, but the heavy handed "the boy is dangerous". He saves everyone's bacon twice and Qui-Gon has to die in order to get him trained. We could have seen 15 minutes of this and moved on with another actor with a meatier role in TPM.
    Lucas thought he had miles and miles of film where he could explain every non-important detail of the prequels, but when he realized he had fifteen different sauces and almost no meat in the sandwich, he left out all the crap he put in 1 & 2 and had to focus on what was important all along.


    Doesn't matter. It still applies.
    In ANH, Obi-Wan is not a lying huckster, but by ROTJ, he's made one. It diminished the character and made the jedis into fools.

  5. #1400
    Elder Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    mansfield, MA
    Posts
    20,888

    Default

    I don't think it made them fools at all, I liked the "certain point of view" line a lot, it's up there with Vader's speech to Luke in Empire as far as my favorite Star Wars moments go.

  6. #1401
    Observer Vibranium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    19,339

    Default

    Rick McCallum officially leaving Lucasfilm

    http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/12/0...ing-lucasfilm/
    Support your local roller derby league

  7. #1402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guapo Méndez View Post
    Why can't we trust Anakin in TPM? We're given no reason, but the heavy handed "the boy is dangerous". He saves everyone's bacon twice and Qui-Gon has to die in order to get him trained. We could have seen 15 minutes of this and moved on with another actor with a meatier role in TPM.
    Lucas thought he had miles and miles of film where he could explain every non-important detail of the prequels, but when he realized he had fifteen different sauces and almost no meat in the sandwich, he left out all the crap he put in 1 & 2 and had to focus on what was important all along.
    Deleting that boring pod race would've saved a chunk of time. And having the Jade Eyes actually do something about Anakin's mom would've saved Manakin's going back to find out what happened to her. Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

  8. #1403
    Veteran Member Simbob4000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    No, it is not wasted. It shows us why Anakin was not to be trusted, among other things.

    No it doesn't, they never once show why Anakin isn't to be trusted. They just say he isn't to be trusted, and that he's dangerous; then for no reason at all they let Obi-Wan train the kid...because.

  9. #1404
    BANNED Phil Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    St. Charles, Mo
    Posts
    5,114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guapo Méndez View Post
    Nope. During Star Wars, Vader and Anakin Skywalker were not the same person. "From a certain point of view" is an after-the-fact explanation, trying to turn a plot hole into an ace-in-the-hole.
    But if you watch the performance of Sir Alec Guinness very carefully, he displays the tells of a person who is not telling the truth as he first tells Luke about Anakin and about Vader. I believe that Lucas told Guinness that the story was a lie, and to play it that way.

  10. #1405
    Marquis de carabas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Belgium.
    Posts
    31,864

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    But if you watch the performance of Sir Alec Guinness very carefully, he displays the tells of a person who is not telling the truth as he first tells Luke about Anakin and about Vader. I believe that Lucas told Guinness that the story was a lie, and to play it that way.
    That makes no sense whatsoever because at that point Lucas didn't even know yet he was going to make Darth Vader Luke's dad.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

  11. #1406
    BANNED Phil Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    St. Charles, Mo
    Posts
    5,114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    That makes no sense whatsoever because at that point Lucas didn't even know yet he was going to make Darth Vader Luke's dad.
    Actually, that makes no sense, because Lucas had the story mapped out for 9 films. So unless you can show me where he says he didn't decided that until Empire was in works, I have to believe that he knew full well what he was doing.

  12. #1407
    The Mexican James Bond Guapo Méndez's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    6,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    Actually, that makes no sense, because Lucas had the story mapped out for 9 films. So unless you can show me where he says he didn't decided that until Empire was in works, I have to believe that he knew full well what he was doing.
    If he had mapped all 9, no, wait, six...no, back to 9 films, he wouldn't have had those contradictions. You mean he meant all along to have Luke and Leia kiss and then reveal they were brother and sister? What kind of family is Han Solo marrying into?

  13. #1408
    Elder Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    mansfield, MA
    Posts
    20,888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guapo Méndez View Post
    If he had mapped all 9, no, wait, six...no, back to 9 films, he wouldn't have had those contradictions. You mean he meant all along to have Luke and Leia kiss and then reveal they were brother and sister? What kind of family is Han Solo marrying into?
    Did they kiss in a New Hope? It's been a while, but the only real kiss I remember is in Empire and by then he definitely had that relationship figured out. I don't think he ever had much more than a rough idea for six films, or nine, but I don't think we can dispute that he had the original trilogy down pretty solid by the time he did Empire Strikes Back.

    If your point was he had Leia hanging on Luke's leg in the posters for a New Hope I'd give it to you as I don't think he had the whole brother/sister thing figured out yet, but in Empire? Eh, at that point if you don't think he had a clear idea of the plot then that just seems like you're disenfranchised by George Lucas and willfully wish to believe he's incompetent at every juncture.

  14. #1409
    The Mexican James Bond Guapo Méndez's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    6,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Did they kiss in a New Hope?
    No, but Luke is clearly smitten with Leia. One of the first things he says about her is that she's beautiful. When Han goes "you think a girl like her and a guy like me?" he shoots him down because Luke wants something with her.

    It's been a while, but the only real kiss I remember is in Empire and by then he definitely had that relationship figured out. I don't think he ever had much more than a rough idea for six films, or nine, but I don't think we can dispute that he had the original trilogy down pretty solid by the time he did Empire Strikes Back.
    A love triangle in Empire that is dissolved in Jedi when he learns she's his sister. That's not having it mapped out: that's spray painting a kiwi orange and pretending you planted carrots all along.

    If your point was he had Leia hanging on Luke's leg in the posters for a New Hope I'd give it to you as I don't think he had the whole brother/sister thing figured out yet, but in Empire? Eh, at that point if you don't think he had a clear idea of the plot then that just seems like you're disenfranchised by George Lucas and willfully wish to believe he's incompetent at every juncture.
    I know Lucas is competent, but he needed someone to filter his stuff: tone down his dialogue, punch up bits of the plot and leave most of the idiotic comic relief characters on the cutting floor room. I am not making up the part where Lucas said he put 20% of the story he needed to tell in TPM and he goofed off with the other 80%, until he realized by ROTS that he had run out of movies and was now in a bind, trying to fit the rest of the story into less than 150 minutes.

  15. #1410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guapo Méndez View Post
    No, but Luke is clearly smitten with Leia. One of the first things he says about her is that she's beautiful. When Han goes "you think a girl like her and a guy like me?" he shoots him down because Luke wants something with her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guapo Méndez View Post
    A love triangle in Empire that is dissolved in Jedi when he learns she's his sister. That's not having it mapped out: that's spray painting a kiwi orange and pretending you planted carrots all along.
    Yeah, there's no way Luca$ never intended Luke and Leia to not hook up at first. Look at the way she even plants that smooch on him in the first part of Empire.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •