View Poll Results: Star Wars 7 director?

Voters
87. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Steven Spielberg (Friend of Lucas, has often come close to directing a SW)

7 8.05%
  • George Lucas again

3 3.45%
  • David Lynch (Almost directed ROTJ)

0 0%
  • David Filoni (director of Clone Wars movie and series)

3 3.45%
  • Christopher Nolan (The Dark Knight Trilogy)

4 4.60%
  • Joss Whedon (Serenity, Avengers, various TV series)

22 25.29%
  • J. J Abrams (Star Trek, Super 8, various TV series)

13 14.94%
  • Frank Darabont (Almost directed TPM)

0 0%
  • Kathleen Kennedy (Basically is co-chair of Lucasfilm)

0 0%
  • Gendy Tartovsky (The original Clone Wars micro series, various TV series and Hotel Transylvania)

4 4.60%
  • Brad Bird (Incredibles, Mission Impossible IV)

14 16.09%
  • Francis Ford Copolla (Godfather trilogy & friend of Lucas)

0 0%
  • Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings trilogy)

6 6.90%
  • Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrynth, Hellboy)

7 8.05%
  • others

4 4.60%
Page 91 of 144 FirstFirst ... 4181878889909192939495101141 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,365 of 2152

Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    It matters because comic fans also want streamlined continuity that goes from point A to point Z. They want a rich history that builds off of what happened so far. Take Superman, fans want something like "For All Seasons" right next to MOS and "The Odyssey" and "President Lex" before "That Healing Touch". It's the same with "Star Wars". They want KOTOR and "Legacy" at the opposite ends of the spectrum. If you invest so much of something and find out it doesn't count, then that's the equivalent of pissing away your money and wasting your time and resources.
    a good life lesson....you're not entitled (as it relates to fandom) to anything just because you've put in time and money
    Support your local roller derby league

If you invest so much of something and find out it doesn't count, then that's the equivalent of pissing away your money and wasting your time and resources.
    if the EU is not taken seriously, it is degraded to a "what if...?"-level. stories might be nice reads, but i rarely thrills you because u donīt invest (much/any) emotions into the characters.
    itīs bad policy, cause fans want the characters and universe to grow, but if the company has a short term sight of their franchise and randomly alters elements it damages the stories value for the reader

Quote Originally Posted by sherlockbones View Post
    if the EU is not taken seriously, it is degraded to a "what if...?"-level. stories might be nice reads, but i rarely thrills you because u donīt invest (much/any) emotions into the characters.
    itīs bad policy, cause fans want the characters and universe to grow, but if the company has a short term sight of their franchise and randomly alters elements it damages the stories value for the reader
    correction: they want it to grow on THIER terms and no one elses...likes its their own little clubhouse

well guess what Sunny Jim, Disney now owns the clubhouse and its their rules going forward
    Support your local roller derby league

It matters because comic fans also want streamlined continuity that goes from point A to point Z. They want a rich history that builds off of what happened so far. Take Superman, fans want something like "For All Seasons" right next to MOS and "The Odyssey" and "President Lex" before "That Healing Touch". It's the same with "Star Wars". They want KOTOR and "Legacy" at the opposite ends of the spectrum. If you invest so much of something and find out it doesn't count, then that's the equivalent of pissing away your money and wasting your time and resources.
    The difference with Star Wars is that non-movie stories have always been ignored. "Splinter of the Mind's Eye" was ignored, the Marvel series was ignored.

Star Wars has always been a film series, and the books and comics were just something to occupy us while we wait for more movies.

Not quite. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_...s_in_the_films

Also Clone Wars, which had more Lucas involvement than most EU stuff, featured concepts from the EU such as the Dathomir Nightsisters/Sith 'witches', even tying them in with Darth Maul's origin.

As for the Marvel series, for years it was ignored until "Legacy of the Force" clearly established it as part of the continuity.

Granted, Spin-offs are often tricky with continuity, especially in the years between films. For example (and I believe I mentioned this before at some point), DC's first Star Trek series. For the most part, the series stayed within the time frame of the movies although there were ocassional issues dealing with the TOS and TMP 'eras'. So in the interim between III and IV, they had Kirk gain command of the Excelsior, with the captured bird of prey as sort of a backup craft. Spock was also given a seperate command. However, DC had to push the reset button on all this by the time IV came out. Regardless of the continuity quagmire, many issues of DC's first Star Trek series were quite good, and IMO better than the second series which had more restrictions placed on it by Paramount.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 11-28-2012 at 07:13 PM.

If the EU stories are good then they're good stories regardless of whether they are considered canon or not.

Why would you torture yourself with "The Holiday Special"?
    Not a Bea Arthur fan?
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

i cant wait to see that..

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    a good life lesson....you're not entitled (as it relates to fandom) to anything just because you've put in time and money
    I agree. Unfortunately, it's difficult to explain to all those who do feel entitled. Look at how bad some of the people complain.

Quote Originally Posted by sherlockbones
    That's subjective. Some readers do get invested in certain characters, beyond just the established ones, because the writers manage to make the characters work. Hence the popularity of certain characters and the reactions whenever another writer did something different. Or they were killed off.

That depends on the reader. Many have rolled with the punches brought on by the prequels. Others had no problem disregarding it all together. Hell, on the Jedi Council forums about twelve years back, there was a humor thread where a poster was completely trashing the EU, while telling his own idea for AOTC. Based on the spoilers at the time. And don't even get me started on the EU/Canon debates. You think I'm stubborn in arguments, you ain't seen nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Robb
    The difference with Star Wars is that non-movie stories have always been ignored. "Splinter of the Mind's Eye" was ignored, the Marvel series was ignored.

Neither story was ignored. "Splinter Of The Mind's Eye" may not have been referred to in TESB and ROTJ, but it's still listed as having happened by Lucasfilm. Though they tend to lean more heavily on the Dark Horse Comics adaptation from 1996-97, which removed the scene where Luke and Leia kiss and added the Executor in a brief scene. Lumyia appeared in "Legacy Of The Jedi" and all the events that transpired with her storyline were referred to. So both are still part of the EU. Now, granted, Episode VII will be coming on along. But we don't know what all is going to happen both with the films and the EU at present.

Star Wars has always been a film series, and the books and comics were just something to occupy us while we wait for more movies.
    Not according to Lucas, in the 1993 reprinting of SOTME. He stated that he authorized that the EU as he knew that there were more stories to be told, that he couldn't tell himself. Something he said again in the statements during the announcement of the sale of LFL and in those interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian
    If the EU stories then they're good stories regardless of whether they are considered canon or not.
    That's what I do with "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" and "Angel", both in terms of books and comics. Some were pretty bad and no way in hell could they have happened, but I still enjoyed the ones that I did like. Likewise with "Star Trek", I only consider the Shatner novels as part of the lore, since I enjoyed them quite a bit. Not that last one that he did that was a prequel. I didn't even bother to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper
    Not a Bea Arthur fan?
    No, I like her. Just not something so asinine as "The Holiday Special". Course, I never even watched it, but hearing about it makes me glad I haven't. Speaking of THS, that's another one that's somewhat canon. The basic story, but not the singing and dancing bits. Chewie's family has been seen and referred to, particularly in "The Han Solo Trilogy" and "The Black Fleet Crisis Trilogy". Along with stuff like Life Day.

Not according to Lucas, in the 1993 reprinting of SOTME. He stated that he authorized that the EU as he knew that there were more stories to be told, that he couldn't tell himself. Something he said again in the statements during the announcement of the sale of LFL and in those interviews.
    No kidding, he's a salesman. Lucas isn't going to say, "Enjoy the stories, but know we're going to ignore them." It's just accepted that the films come first, and if they can throw in an easter egg or two for EU fans, that's great too.

I guarantee no one said, during the designing for Return of the Jedi, "Wait, shouldn't Jabba look like he did in the comics?"

I have a feeling Bobba Fett might be getting his own movie if that's the case.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Robb View Post
    I guarantee no one said, during the designing for Return of the Jedi, "Wait, shouldn't Jabba look like he did in the comics?"
    Wasn't Jabba the Hutt in Episode 4 except as an Irish dude?

Quote Originally Posted by Bakasama View Post
    Wasn't Jabba the Hutt in Episode 4 except as an Irish dude?
    He got cut. The comics used an alien guy that was walking around Mos Eisley as the basis for Jabba.

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    Not a Bea Arthur fan?
    ofcourse the rifftrax has fixed it up a bit.

Cyclops ad portas