View Poll Results: Star Wars 7 director?

Voters
87. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Steven Spielberg (Friend of Lucas, has often come close to directing a SW)

7 8.05%
  • George Lucas again

3 3.45%
  • David Lynch (Almost directed ROTJ)

0 0%
  • David Filoni (director of Clone Wars movie and series)

3 3.45%
  • Christopher Nolan (The Dark Knight Trilogy)

4 4.60%
  • Joss Whedon (Serenity, Avengers, various TV series)

22 25.29%
  • J. J Abrams (Star Trek, Super 8, various TV series)

13 14.94%
  • Frank Darabont (Almost directed TPM)

0 0%
  • Kathleen Kennedy (Basically is co-chair of Lucasfilm)

0 0%
  • Gendy Tartovsky (The original Clone Wars micro series, various TV series and Hotel Transylvania)

4 4.60%
  • Brad Bird (Incredibles, Mission Impossible IV)

14 16.09%
  • Francis Ford Copolla (Godfather trilogy & friend of Lucas)

0 0%
  • Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings trilogy)

6 6.90%
  • Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrynth, Hellboy)

7 8.05%
  • others

4 4.60%
Page 90 of 144 FirstFirst ... 4080868788899091929394100140 ... LastLast
Results 1,336 to 1,350 of 2152

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothDZX View Post
    Good points all around. The only thing left I can really comment on is this

The other issue I have with it I guess is the lack of any sort of 'action' that goes on during the scene. The queen's ship flies pretty much in a straight line through the blockade, takes a bunch of shots, and then makes it out the other side.

I guess just the entire way that scene is put together does a bad job of conveying danger to me.
    It's a blockade. They're going to have to go through it sooner or later and, as you've mentioned, the Queen's ship isn't all that well armed. The best course of action is to rely on speed and the element of surprise and try to punch through the blockade as quickly as possible and before the blockading ships can scramble fighters or get too solid of a target on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Simbob4000 View Post
    Pixar sold for like $7.4 billion. Disney didn't just get the incredibly lucrative Star Wars, they also got the biggest visual effects company in the world, as well as other things.
    Really? Lucas sold everything for 3 billon less than Pixar? Maybe he isn’t such a great businessman either.
    New and improved me. Now with a CAPITAL “B”.

Heh...I have my massive playlist on shuffle and it just happened to start Duel of the Fates as I type this.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    I have to say that yesterday I re-watched Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones. And I still find them entertaining. So all the prequel trilogy haters can just suck it.

As I said before, they are by no means perfect, but they were never likely to be. But the are still entertaining. And I didn't find JarJar nearly as annoying as I recalled. It was fun rewatching those, and I hope to get to Revenge of the Sith soon. And then on to the original trilogy (well, as original as I own seeing as it will be DVD editions).
    As lame as I find most of Episode 1 and 2, I would like to take a whole day some time and watch all of Star Wars in order: 1, 2, both Clone Wars cartoons, 3, Droids cartoon, 4, Xmas special, Ewoks TV movies, Ewoks cartoon, 5 and 6...maybe with a couple video game walkthroughs included. It might take 2 days.

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothDZX View Post
    lightsaber battles that go on for too long.
    I didn't know that was possible...
    Last edited by dupersuper; 11-27-2012 at 11:26 PM.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Well, he's maybe the most annoying character ever put on film. If you think he's funny, of course you're not going to understand why people hate the character. The hate is just because he's such a crappy character...I don't even remember there being Jar Jar Binks hype.
    Here's the thing with Jar Jar, I didn't like the character much but at the same time I was not bothered by him as much as other were. The movies did not suck because of him, he was not the primary reason. I think he sort of became the icon of why those movies did not satisfy people as much as they would like.
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!

Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    The ion gun did help, but it was smashed when Echo Base was hit and the remaining ships still got out of the system.

Didn't seem like it when the attack began.

That only went so far.

Didn't say that it was. The ship was still damaged and they were not under orders to destroy the ship.
    as ephirith points out, the rebels are an excellently equiped group of experienced soldiers that were prepared for an imperial siege.
    we only see the ion cannon firing once, but we must assume that the rebels picked their targets carefully, interdictors for example

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Inter...Star_Destroyer

otherwise, it would haven been refered to as the big hoth massacre later on.
    the tradefederation was already in position, thus making it much more unbelieveable that they were unable to stop a single ship.

most rebels escaped while the battle was still going on. if they hadn´t fallen out of hyperspace so early, more rebels might have been caught with a hermitcal belt around hoth.
    i also wondered though why the falcon was chased, while luke (who left the planet later) got away without any troubles.

as for TPM plot holes:
    their shields get disabled while they are still up!? what good are they anyway when a whole battlegroup is gunning for you? han is an established ace pilot, so that helps in empire making their escape believeable (against all odds, han even mentions that).
    and the droid ships stop firing, once the shields are up againn *rofl*

There were not any Interdictors in the Hoth fleet-just the Star Destroyers we see. Also the Interdictors are mainly a Expanded Universe creation.

BANNED

I was under the impression that Interdictors were an Old Republic thing?

I think there's a ship with a similar name in the first KOTOR game. Basically as far as the OT timeline is concerned, the interdictor simulates a gravity well, which prevents ships from jumping into hyperspace. Most of the time they kind of are thinner looking Star Destroyers with domes. This isn't why the FALCON's hyperdrive malfunctioned though (Although when it left Bespin it was the Imperials who disabled it).

The Interdictors mainly show up in the Thrawn trilogy and X-wing novels, as well as their comic counterparts. They also appear in the X-wing/TIE fighter computer game franchises.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 11-28-2012 at 09:02 AM.

Only Jar Jar wasn't sold as some huge break out character, he's in the first trailer a bit, and in the second even less. I mean, I remember him on the side of PepsiCo cans, but everyone with screen time seemed to get one of those...pretty much the same with the Pizza Hut cups. Jar Jar was meant to be a big character, but I don't remember any Jar Jar push or hype around the character; I do remember a lot of hate.
    Boba Fett didn't have a lot of trailer time, but he was promoted heavily and he wound up becoming popular. The same thing happened with Jar Jar. And Lucas did talk up Jar Jar in interviews. The hate started when an audio clip leaked out onto the net and then the final product was seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi
    This isnt antiques roadshow, this is about hard numbers and from ILM and Skywalker Sound ALONE should have put the price over what the Marvel sale went for.
    A business that is sold like this, requires making sure that what it is sold for is what it is really worth spending money on. Meaning Disney wasn't going to spend ten billion on something worth only three billion. They would have looked at the books and did some other checking, before agreeing to what Lucas wanted out of the deal. Marvel is a different situation. There's the value of the IP for every single comic book character, plus the rights to the films and television series. Lucasfilm is mostly made up of "Star Wars", "Indiana Jones", "Willow", a few more films and then all the companies created by Lucas. The difference in value between the two played a part in it. I'm not going to pretend I know all of the details, but there's a reason that Disney spent what it spent for both.

And, sorry, WETA is good but they are a baby compared to ILM.
    In your estimation. Others would disagree. Though those would be fans of LOTR.

And the question wasn't if he was greedy or not it was if he was a "good salesman."
    So, yeah, he probably could have gotten way more to give away way more as well.
    Greed does play a part in it, because if he was a "good salesman", then he could have gotten a lot more out of it if he wanted it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman
    It's a blockade. They're going to have to go through it sooner or later and, as you've mentioned, the Queen's ship isn't all that well armed. The best course of action is to rely on speed and the element of surprise and try to punch through the blockade as quickly as possible and before the blockading ships can scramble fighters or get too solid of a target on you.
    Indeed. The Millennium Falcon did the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper
    As lame as I find most of Episode 1 and 2, I would like to take a whole day some time and watch all of Star Wars in order: 1, 2, both Clone Wars cartoons, 3, Droids cartoon, 4, Xmas special, Ewoks TV movies, Ewoks cartoon, 5 and 6...maybe with a couple video game walkthroughs included. It might take 2 days.
    Why would you torture yourself with "The Holiday Special"? Anyway, just going by the six films, it can be done in one or two days. Depending on how much free time you can get. Though as much as I like the second TCW series, I'd rather stick with the first one when doing a Saga marathon.

Quote Originally Posted by sherlockbones
    as ephirith points out, the rebels are an excellently equiped group of experienced soldiers that were prepared for an imperial siege.
    we only see the ion cannon firing once, but we must assume that the rebels picked their targets carefully, interdictors for example
    Nope, they only targeted Star Destroyers in orbit. Interdictors as noted are EU, but the reference to their role at Hoth only exists because of their creation in other sources.

otherwise, it would haven been refered to as the big hoth massacre later on.
    the tradefederation was already in position, thus making it much more unbelieveable that they were unable to stop a single ship.
    The Imperial fleet was in position as we saw right before the battle. Coming out of light speed too close to the system only has to do with the fact that it gave the Alliance time to pull out. Course, they were already preparing to leave after the Imperial Probe blew up.

i also wondered though why the falcon was chased, while luke (who left the planet later) got away without any troubles.
    That's my point. If one is going to complain about TPM, then they've got to complain about TESB. And that was written by Kasdan and directed by Kershner.

as for TPM plot holes:
    their shields get disabled while they are still up!? what good are they anyway when a whole battlegroup is gunning for you? han is an established ace pilot, so that helps in empire making their escape believeable (against all odds, han even mentions that).
    Han's talk about odds had to do with flying through an asteroid field, not evading Star Destroyers which he had done plenty of times before. As to the pilot in TPM, that was Ric Oile', who was a good pilot himself.

and the droid ships stop firing, once the shields are up againn *rofl*
    That's because Governor Bibble had turned himself in and informed them that the Queen was gone.

wow....discussion of real world tactics and characters that no one knows...who the hell is Governor Bibble?

seriously....this is why Disney is disowning the EU...I hope the new films have Luke as a chaste hermit and Han and Leia got divorced 5 years after getting married because I know it would infuriate all of you
    Support your local roller derby league

Governor Sio Bibble is from the films. He appears mostly in TPM, has some dialogue in AOTC and then appears at Padme's funeral. He's the old guy with the large beard and is fairly pessimistic about things. Although he's not mentioned by name in the films apart from being called "Governor", I'm pretty sure the name is in the scripts.

As for the Expanded Universe, I wouldn't count it out yet. There's probably going to be a lot of tie-in books based on the new movie and other stuff, although the fate of the previous "canon" is unknown. Technically a lot of what was established in various comics and novels was already retconned/eliminated by Clone wars TV already anyway. The major break I think was the death of Even Piell (The Jedi who kind of looks like a more grizzled, angrier Yoda in the council) who dies in the Citadel episodes, although a novel has him dying shortly after Order 66.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 11-28-2012 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Governor Sio Bibble is from the films. He appears mostly in TPM, has some dialogue in AOTC and then appears at Padme's funeral. He's the old guy with the large beard and is fairly pessimistic about things. Although he's not mentioned by name in the films apart from being called "Governor", I'm pretty sure the name is in the scripts.

As for the Expanded Universe, I wouldn't count it out yet. There's probably going to be a lot of tie-in books based on the new movie, although the fate of the previous "canon" is unknown. Technically a lot of what was established in various comics and novels was retconned/eliminated by Clone wars TV already anyway.
    it was a rhetorical question
    Support your local roller derby league

BANNED

I never understood why Star Wars fans feel the need to have such a streamlined continuity. Take any live-action superhero/comic book movie for example. The story usually borrows elements form several incarnations of the comic, animation, and other media. No reason Star Wars can't do the same. I hope the new movies make use of some existing EU characters, but they don't necessarily need to adhere to current SW EU continuity. Fore example, it would be nice to have Mara Jade, but she doesn't necessarily need to be a carbon copy of the character in Zahn's books. Or, have Luke marry some other chick, I don't really care. We're getting new Star Wars movies that's all that really matters to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Here's the thing with Jar Jar, I didn't like the character much but at the same time I was not bothered by him as much as other were. The movies did not suck because of him, he was not the primary reason. I think he sort of became the icon of why those movies did not satisfy people as much as they would like.
    Hey, I'm not saying the movie sucked because of Jar Jar, he's just one of many horrible things about the movie. Although it would feel a bit more tolerable if he wasn't there, following the characters around all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    wow....discussion of real world tactics and characters that no one knows...who the hell is Governor Bibble?

seriously....this is why Disney is disowning the EU...I hope the new films have Luke as a chaste hermit and Han and Leia got divorced 5 years after getting married because I know it would infuriate all of you
    Who took a dump in your cornflakes this morning?

Quote Originally Posted by jediracer
    I never understood why Star Wars fans feel the need to have such a streamlined continuity. Take any live-action superhero/comic book movie for example. The story usually borrows elements form several incarnations of the comic, animation, and other media. No reason Star Wars can't do the same. I hope the new movies make use of some existing EU characters, but they don't necessarily need to adhere to current SW EU continuity. Fore example, it would be nice to have Mara Jade, but she doesn't necessarily need to be a carbon copy of the character in Zahn's books. Or, have Luke marry some other chick, I don't really care. We're getting new Star Wars movies that's all that really matters to me.
    It matters because comic fans also want streamlined continuity that goes from point A to point Z. They want a rich history that builds off of what happened so far. Take Superman, fans want something like "For All Seasons" right next to MOS and "The Odyssey" and "President Lex" before "That Healing Touch". It's the same with "Star Wars". They want KOTOR and "Legacy" at the opposite ends of the spectrum. If you invest so much of something and find out it doesn't count, then that's the equivalent of pissing away your money and wasting your time and resources.