View Poll Results: Star Wars 7 director?

Voters
87. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Steven Spielberg (Friend of Lucas, has often come close to directing a SW)

7 8.05%
  • George Lucas again

3 3.45%
  • David Lynch (Almost directed ROTJ)

0 0%
  • David Filoni (director of Clone Wars movie and series)

3 3.45%
  • Christopher Nolan (The Dark Knight Trilogy)

4 4.60%
  • Joss Whedon (Serenity, Avengers, various TV series)

22 25.29%
  • J. J Abrams (Star Trek, Super 8, various TV series)

13 14.94%
  • Frank Darabont (Almost directed TPM)

0 0%
  • Kathleen Kennedy (Basically is co-chair of Lucasfilm)

0 0%
  • Gendy Tartovsky (The original Clone Wars micro series, various TV series and Hotel Transylvania)

4 4.60%
  • Brad Bird (Incredibles, Mission Impossible IV)

14 16.09%
  • Francis Ford Copolla (Godfather trilogy & friend of Lucas)

0 0%
  • Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings trilogy)

6 6.90%
  • Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrynth, Hellboy)

7 8.05%
  • others

4 4.60%
Page 89 of 144 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091929399139 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,335 of 2152

Quote Originally Posted by jediracer View Post
    How can you call someone who sold his company for $4 billion+ a lousy salesman??
    Somehow I doubt that was a very tough sell.
    New and improved me. Now with a CAPITAL B.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonofspam View Post
    I liked the Phantom Menace and i thought the criticism was a little harsh in comparison to the other two.

Jar Jar Binks i think is kind of funny i didn't understand the hate except maybe a backlash against the huge amount of hype for that character.
    I actually like Phantom Menace moreso than Attack of the Clones. Jar Jar is annoying as all hell but I can tune him out. And the plot issues with TPM are things I can forgive a bit easier in comparison to some of the stuff Clones has.

Honestly, if Attack of the Clones wasn't so god awful (in my opinion) I think I'd be okay with the Prequel Trilogy. Phantom Menace has issues but I can overlook them. Revenge of the Sith is pretty watchable aside from a few pretty bad moments (NOOOO & Padme's death as examples) and lightsaber battles that go on for too long.
    Eh, Comics is a pretty cool guy...

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothDZX View Post
    I actually like Phantom Menace moreso than Attack of the Clones. Jar Jar is annoying as all hell but I can tune him out. And the plot issues with TPM are things I can forgive a bit easier in comparison to some of the stuff Clones has.

Honestly, if Attack of the Clones wasn't so god awful (in my opinion) I think I'd be okay with the Prequel Trilogy. Phantom Menace has issues but I can overlook them. Revenge of the Sith is pretty watchable aside from a few pretty bad moments (NOOOO & Padme's death as examples) and lightsaber battles that go on for too long.
    What plot issues does PM have?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonofspam View Post
    What plot issues does PM have?
    I guess "plot issue" is a bad way to word it. Alot of silly things that bug me, that's all. Like why can a single ship punch through an entire blockade with relative ease, why doesn't Qui Gon just sell the Naboo Cruiser for cash and get someone to transport him to Coruscant instead of going through a super risky gambit that could have stranded them on Tattooine, why does Yoda okay Anakin being Obi Wan's padawan despite stating why it shouldn't happen moments before.

With the return of the Sith, not training Anakin was likely viewed as a bigger risk by the Jedi. Not training him leaves him out in the open and ready to be co-opted by a Dark Lord of the Sith who is without an apprentice.

I'm also not sure that I'd describe their escape from the Naboo blockade with the words "relative ease." They almost didn't make it and it was really only a last minute save from a tough little astromech droid named R2-D2 that let them escape.

As to Qui-Gon's gambit? At that point it's pretty obvious that he's got two missions: One to protect the queen and deliver her safely to Coruscant and the other to free Anakin Skywalker because he believes him to be the Chosen One who will bring balance to the Force. The wager was a way of accomplishing this with the least amount of fuss possible and, more or less, Wattoo's consent, given that he'd have to remove Anakin's restraining bolt implant.
    Last edited by The Batman; 11-27-2012 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    With the return of the Sith, not training Anakin was likely viewed as a bigger risk by the Jedi. Not training him leaves him out in the open and ready to be co-opted by a Dark Lord of the Sith who is without an apprentice.

I'm also not sure that I'd describe their escape from the Naboo blockade with the words "relative ease." They almost didn't make it and it was really only a last minute save from a tough little astromech droid named R2-D2 that let them escape.

As to Qui-Gon's gambit? At that point it's pretty obvious that he's got two missions: One to protect the queen and deliver her safely to Coruscant and the other to free Anakin Skywalker because he believes him to be the Chosen One who will bring balance to the Force. The wager was a way of accomplishing this with the least amount of fuss possible and, more or less, Wattoo's consent, given that he'd have to remove Anakin's restraining bolt implant.
    Nice points. *Props*

For the sake of discussion/debate. Would the Sith have ever known of Anakin Skywalker had the Jedi not yanked him out of obscurity in Tatooine and brought him into the Order?

I used the term relative ease partially because of how lax the acting is in that scene. None of the actors even remotely give off any feeling of danger or urgency as they're watching those astro-droids get picked off the hull of the ship one by one. Compare that to when the Millenium Falcon is escaping the Death Star, where the actors do a pretty convincing job of selling the danger of the situation.

I guess regarding Qui-Gon's gambit, he didn't start believing Anakin could be the chosen one until well after when Qui-Gon could have sold the Queen's ship and hired some smuggler to transport them (see: Episode 4).

Or better yet, why didn't Qui-Gon just steal the parts he needs during the night or something?

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothDZX View Post
    Nice points. *Props*

For the sake of discussion/debate. Would the Sith have ever known of Anakin Skywalker had the Jedi not yanked him out of obscurity in Tatooine and brought him into the Order?
    Maybe. Maybe not. But with him discovered by Qui-Gon, it's not really a chance Yoda, Mace, et al. could take at that point.

I used the term relative ease partially because of how lax the acting is in that scene. None of the actors even remotely give off any feeling of danger or urgency as they're watching those astro-droids get picked off the hull of the ship one by one. Compare that to when the Millenium Falcon is escaping the Death Star, where the actors do a pretty convincing job of selling the danger of the situation.
    Fair enough, but what they actually did wasn't easy so I'm not sure why it'd be described as such.

I guess regarding Qui-Gon's gambit, he didn't start believing Anakin could be the chosen one until well after when Qui-Gon could have sold the Queen's ship and hired some smuggler to transport them (see: Episode 4).

Or better yet, why didn't Qui-Gon just steal the parts he needs during the night or something?
    The first thing Qui-Gon does is try to buy the needed part to repair the Queen's ship. It's the best, easiest, and safest plan. But it's in the course of doing this that Qui-Gon meets Anakin. Immediately after, he leaves, nearly gets caught in the sandstorm, and winds up staying with Anakin and his mother. It's during this time that he finds out about Anakin's pod racing, his visions, and it's during this time that he begins to suspect that the boy in unique and might be the Chosen One. It's only after this point that Qui-Gon comes up with his plan for the pod race that fulfills his two goals, to get the part needed for the Queen's ship and to free Anakin to join the Jedi.

There's no real time between Wattoo's and meeting Anakin again for him to look to hiring a smuggler and just stealing the part doesn't meet his second objective. It's not like Qui-Gon was sitting around Tatooine for days and days until he discovers Anakin Skywalker.

Good points all around. The only thing left I can really comment on is this

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Fair enough, but what they actually did wasn't easy so I'm not sure why it'd be described as such.
    The other issue I have with it I guess is the lack of any sort of 'action' that goes on during the scene. The queen's ship flies pretty much in a straight line through the blockade, takes a bunch of shots, and then makes it out the other side.

I guess just the entire way that scene is put together does a bad job of conveying danger to me.
    Last edited by SephirothDZX; 11-27-2012 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
    Stan is a great salesman and a lousy businessman. Lucas is the opposite.
    Stan Lee could sell the concept in comic book form and animation. When it came to television and film, he had his work cut out for him. It took a lot just to get to where we were fifteen years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Simbob4000
    I don't even remember there being Jar Jar Binks hype
    There was hype insofar as the promise of a new character who would be a break out one and his face was used a lot for merchandise.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi
    Disney bought Marvel for the same amount.
    Needless to say, Lucasfilm which includes Skywalker Sound, ILM, Lucas Arts, Lucas Animation, the Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more stuff that brings waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more money than Marvel.

I mean, freaking almost everyone still uses ILM for effects! That alone is tremendous.
    Im with Mace Windu on this one.
    What we think it is worth is different from what it's actual worth is. Not to mention you assume that Lucas was going to be greedy. After all, he's giving away the two billion in cash and the rest was in stock. ILM does a lot of movies, that is true, but there is strong competition which would affect its worth. If WETA and all the rest weren't as successful, then ILM's own stock might be higher.

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothDZX
    I guess "plot issue" is a bad way to word it. Alot of silly things that bug me, that's all. Like why can a single ship punch through an entire blockade with relative ease
    It didn't. That's why they had to go to Tatooine. Remember all the Rebel ships that got away from Hoth? Much less the Millennium Falcon and Luke's own X-Wing.

why doesn't Qui Gon just sell the Naboo Cruiser for cash and get someone to transport him to Coruscant instead of going through a super risky gambit that could have stranded them on Tattooine,
    Because that's not his ship and he also wanted to free Anakin, because he could tell that the boy was special.

why does Yoda okay Anakin being Obi Wan's padawan despite stating why it shouldn't happen moments before.
    [

He doesn't. The Council ruled eleven to one in favor of it. Yoda said that he still objected when he told Obi-wan this.
    Last edited by Mat001; 11-27-2012 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    It didn't. That's why they had to go to Tatooine. Remember all the Rebel ships that got away from Hoth? Much less the Millennium Falcon and Luke's own X-Wing.
    stand by ion control...

Quote Originally Posted by sherlockbones View Post
    stand by ion control...
    The Imperial Fleet at Hoth I don't think was as well set up as the Trade Federation fleet. Vader complained that they came out of lightspeed too early and thus gave the Rebels time to scramble before the Imperials could get into position. Also, the Rebels (as sherlockbones pointed out) and ground based ion cannons in place to blast open holes in the blockade.

I'd also take a wager and say that those Rebel ships and fighters were more better equipped punch through blockades than a Naboo royalty vessel.

Quote Originally Posted by sherlockbones
    stand by ion control...
    The ion gun did help, but it was smashed when Echo Base was hit and the remaining ships still got out of the system.

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothDZX
    The Imperial Fleet at Hoth I don't think was as well set up as the Trade Federation fleet. Vader complained that they came out of lightspeed too early and thus gave the Rebels time to scramble before the Imperials could get into position.
    Didn't seem like it when the attack began.

Also, the Rebels (as sherlockbones pointed out) and ground based ion cannons in place to blast open holes in the blockade.
    That only went so far.

I'd also take a wager and say that those Rebel ships and fighters were more better equipped punch through blockades than a Naboo royalty vessel.
    Didn't say that it was. The ship was still damaged and they were not under orders to destroy the ship.

Quote Originally Posted by jediracer View Post
    How can you call someone who sold his company for $4 billion+ a lousy salesman??
    Pixar sold for like $7.4 billion. Disney didn't just get the incredibly lucrative Star Wars, they also got the biggest visual effects company in the world, as well as other things.

There was hype insofar as the promise of a new character who would be a break out one and his face was used a lot for merchandise.

Only Jar Jar wasn't sold as some huge break out character, he's in the first trailer a bit, and in the second even less. I mean, I remember him on the side of PepsiCo cans, but everyone with screen time seemed to get one of those...pretty much the same with the Pizza Hut cups. Jar Jar was meant to be a big character, but I don't remember any Jar Jar push or hype around the character; I do remember a lot of hate.

What we think it is worth is different from what it's actual worth is. Not to mention you assume that Lucas was going to be greedy. After all, he's giving away the two billion in cash and the rest was in stock. ILM does a lot of movies, that is true, but there is strong competition which would affect its worth. If WETA and all the rest weren't as successful, then ILM's own stock might be higher.
    This isnt antiques roadshow, this is about hard numbers and from ILM and Skywalker Sound ALONE should have put the price over what the Marvel sale went for. And, sorry, WETA is good but they are a baby compared to ILM.

And the question wasn't if he was greedy or not it was if he was a "good salesman."
    So, yeah, he probably could have gotten way more to give away way more as well.