View Poll Results: Star Wars 7 director?

Voters
87. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Steven Spielberg (Friend of Lucas, has often come close to directing a SW)

7 8.05%
  • George Lucas again

3 3.45%
  • David Lynch (Almost directed ROTJ)

0 0%
  • David Filoni (director of Clone Wars movie and series)

3 3.45%
  • Christopher Nolan (The Dark Knight Trilogy)

4 4.60%
  • Joss Whedon (Serenity, Avengers, various TV series)

22 25.29%
  • J. J Abrams (Star Trek, Super 8, various TV series)

13 14.94%
  • Frank Darabont (Almost directed TPM)

0 0%
  • Kathleen Kennedy (Basically is co-chair of Lucasfilm)

0 0%
  • Gendy Tartovsky (The original Clone Wars micro series, various TV series and Hotel Transylvania)

4 4.60%
  • Brad Bird (Incredibles, Mission Impossible IV)

14 16.09%
  • Francis Ford Copolla (Godfather trilogy & friend of Lucas)

0 0%
  • Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings trilogy)

6 6.90%
  • Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrynth, Hellboy)

7 8.05%
  • others

4 4.60%
Page 87 of 144 FirstFirst ... 377783848586878889909197137 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,305 of 2152

Quote Originally Posted by Simbob4000 View Post
    I think some were, or at lets some people were confused by the bat looking thing. There was some kind of weird rat/bat mutant thing in the short story, and other kinds of rats. Since the movie doesn't go into any kind of detail about it, I just figured it was some kind of vampire that had control over the rats.
    It was a large scary creature, that is all I know
    Support your local roller derby league

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    It was a large scary creature, that is all I know
    And it looks great, if it were some kind of vampire it's one of the best, most monstrous looking vampires ever put in a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonofspam View Post
    I don't know it seems strange to me i mean i am a pretty mellow guy, but i get excited when i talk about things i like.

`
    I haven't seen the older interviews from the 70's, but I think that's how Lucas is in general. I don't think he's ever been as animated as Spielberg has with his interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    I haven't seen the older interviews from the 70's, but I think that's how Lucas is in general. I don't think he's ever been as animated as Spielberg has with his interviews.
    Even in those older interviews he's like that. Also, we know from thirty odd years of interviews with people who have worked with Lucas that say he's not terribly animated or expressive. Thing is, I'm not sure why he needs to be.

I enjoyed it.

So, friends can't argue? Funny, because that's what happens with Han and Luke. Friends can't disagree? Again, Han and Luke did that. Anakin was being arrogant and impatient, a trait his son shares with him as we saw in TESB. Anakin thought that he had what it took to take the trials and become a Jedi Knight. Luke thought that he was more than ready to begin the training in earnest. Hell, they both had a lot of anger. Something that Yoda expresses.

YODA: "Much anger in him, like his father."

Darabont turned down TPM, because he felt that the film didn't need his touch. That Lucas had nailed it. With KOTCS, he wasn't bothered by the aliens. His draft wasn't used because Lucas felt that there wasn't enough action in it.

Why does it freak you out?
    sure they can. but where did l&h fight after becoming friends?
    again, major flaws in the setting of the prequels is, that anakin and obi wan werenŽt equals. much storytelling potential there+my personal impression was that they were from the tone of anh.
    mat, really? comparing luke, last known hope of the jedi way, with someone that was trained within the functioning structure of the jedi knight order?
    luke is dared to follow a crazy little green guy

in the middle of a galactic civil war. he isnŽt being arrogant for the sake of being it, but his duties (and believes) are colliding and he has to wage if he is wastig his time which could cost his friends their lifes.
    anakin on the other hand is toying with the threat (using padme as a bait!) and opposing obi wan because he thinks that he already is ahead of him (i saved you blabla 100 hundred times...).
    that does not apply to luke at all

my worst fear is that we get an even more souless version of new star wars movies, with lots of kids at a new jedi acadamy and kyp durron like character bossing everyone ala force unleashed.
    iŽd like to see some korran horn like story. fighter squadron, criminals and toned down jedi elements
    Last edited by sherlockbones; 11-23-2012 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sherlockbones View Post
    my worst fear is that we get an even more souless version of new star wars movies, with lots of kids at a new jedi acadamy and kyp durron like character bossing everyone ala force unleashed.
    iŽd like to see some korran horn like story. fighter squadron, criminals and toned down jedi elements
    I support this fully

I don't know it seems strange to me i mean i am a pretty mellow guy, but i get excited when i talk about things i like.
    if you've ever paid attention to any sort of interview with most actors/directors...they are pretty even keel about projects

it's basically an "act like you've been there before" mindset...being excited is looked down upon

Well i can understand that and there does seem to be a sense or relief in that video but there was one that played after that where he was talking about film school and technology and he seemed to be just as monotone sounding.
    Lucas? He comes across as monotone half the time anyway. I suspect that’s a big part of why he had so much trouble selling the original Star Wars in the first place.
    New and improved me. Now with a CAPITAL “B”.

Yeah, sort of shows up in his directing. He does come off as somewhat arrogant and confrontational in some of the interviews he did during the PT, such as the 60 minutes one with Lesley Stahl.

I have to say that yesterday I re-watched Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones. And I still find them entertaining. So all the prequel trilogy haters can just suck it.

As I said before, they are by no means perfect, but they were never likely to be. But the are still entertaining. And I didn't find JarJar nearly as annoying as I recalled. It was fun rewatching those, and I hope to get to Revenge of the Sith soon. And then on to the original trilogy (well, as original as I own seeing as it will be DVD editions).

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    I have to say that yesterday I re-watched Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones. And I still find them entertaining. So all the prequel trilogy haters can just suck it.

As I said before, they are by no means perfect, but they were never likely to be. But the are still entertaining. And I didn't find JarJar nearly as annoying as I recalled. It was fun rewatching those, and I hope to get to Revenge of the Sith soon. And then on to the original trilogy (well, as original as I own seeing as it will be DVD editions).
    thread discipline!
    that being said, whoŽd support a prequels worst lines thread?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AnakinFascism.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	104732

Quote Originally Posted by sherlockbones
    sure they can. but where did l&h fight after becoming friends?
    I was referring to ANH, not the other two films. Particularly when Han wanted to skip town and Luke got upset at him over it.

again, major flaws in the setting of the prequels is, that anakin and obi wan werenŽt equals. much storytelling potential there+my personal impression was that they were from the tone of anh.
    Except there's a flaw in your thinking. Namely that Anakin and Vader were the same person and so the audience would see the conflict between the two of them, as well as the friendship. We know that in ANH, Obi-wan and Anakin were friends. But we also knew that Vader and Obi-wan were also at odds with each other. ROTJ confirmed both incidences. So really, there was no mistake in how that was handled, since we got to see both aspects in the prequels.

mat, really? comparing luke, last known hope of the jedi way, with someone that was trained within the functioning structure of the jedi knight order?
    Yes, because those comparisons were there in the OT, long before the PT. And Lucas had stated since at least the 90's, that Luke and Anakin were similar in many ways, but differed in their choices.

Luke is dared to follow a crazy little green guy
    Which is what the point of the test was about and why Luke failed it. His anger and impatience disappointed Yoda. His own arrogance in thinking that Yoda would be this powerful warrior and not a two foot little gnome. His anger in not understanding the ways of the Force, such as trying to lift the X-Wing and his arrogance in thinking that he knew better at times. Such as taking his weapons into the tree cave and leaving before he had finished his training.

in the middle of a galactic civil war. he isnŽt being arrogant for the sake of being it, but his duties (and believes) are colliding and he has to wage if he is wastig his time which could cost his friends their lifes.
    And that is why he failed that first test. Luke's problems were laid out by Yoda.

YODA: "Ready, are you? What know you of ready? For eight hundred years have I trained Jedi. My own counsel will I keep on who is to be trained! A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind. This one a long time have I watched. Never his mind on where he was. Hmm? What he was doing. Hmph. Adventure. Heh! Excitement. Heh! A Jedi craves not these things. You are reckless!"

No, Luke wasn't arrogant for the sake of it. Nor was Anakin. The arrogance is the result of having great power, but not the wisdom to use it correctly. Nor the wisdom to be patient.

anakin on the other hand is toying with the threat (using padme as a bait!)
    He isn't toying with the assassin. He understands that if the assassin spots two Jedi, they might not make a second attempt on her life and thus they will never know if it was disgruntled miners, or the Separatists. The arrogance though, was in thinking that he could sense anything and Obi-wan's uncertainty regarding it.

and opposing obi wan because he thinks that he already is ahead of him (i saved you blabla 100 hundred times...).
    Obi-wan doesn't oppose Anakin's plan. He's uncertain if he can sense the danger before it's too late. Fortunately, they both sense it at the same time.

that does not apply to luke at all
    It does when Luke takes off for Cloud City, thinking that he can rescue his friends because he's stronger than he was before then. Then he finds out he wasn't as strong, since he got his ass handed to him by his father and had to be rescued himself. Hence Luke's apology to Yoda in ROTJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Beacon
    Lucas? He comes across as monotone half the time anyway. I suspect that’s a big part of why he had so much trouble selling the original Star Wars in the first place.
    He had trouble because sci-fi was out of vogue by the start of the 70's. The only major sci-fi films were the "Planet Of The Apes" films and "Dark Star". The studios had already shut down their effects departments, when Lucas made his first pitch in 73. That's why as soon as ANH became a hit, the studios were rushing to get other films made. We soon had "Close Encounters Of The Third Kind", "Star Trek", "Alien", "The Thing" and "Blade Runner" over the next few years.

With all the talk about Kasdan, some people are doubting because of the "Return of the Jedi" script. But has anybody read the Lucas version of ROTJ (It's available on the net)? While it has some nifty concepts like Coruscant (or Had Abbadon as it was known then) and a sort of proto-SHADOWS OF THE EMPIRE rivalry between Vader and a Moff for Palpatine's loyalty, it's Lucas who came up with the Death Star redux (He actually wanted two Death Stars!) and the Ewoks; and the finale of the script is just plain weird with the Jedi ghosts of Obi-Wan and Yoda coming back to life to help fight Palpatine and Vader's redemption more of an afterthought. Plus you have the usual Lucas awkward dialogue. Some concepts from the script did make it into ROTS, the talk of the Jedi "Netherworld" for instance.

Kasdan, if anything, salvaged ROTJ.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    With all the talk about Kasdan, some people are doubting because of the "Return of the Jedi" script. But has anybody read the Lucas version of ROTJ (It's available on the net)? While it has some nifty concepts like Coruscant (or Had Abbadon as it was known then) and a sort of proto-SHADOWS OF THE EMPIRE rivalry between Vader and a Moff for Palpatine's loyalty, it's Lucas who came up with the Death Star redux (He actually wanted two Death Stars!) and the Ewoks; and the finale of the script is just plain weird with the Jedi ghosts of Obi-Wan and Yoda coming back to life to help fight Palpatine and Vader's redemption more of an afterthought. Plus you have the usual Lucas awkward dialogue. Some concepts from the script did make it into ROTS, the talk of the Jedi "Netherworld" for instance.

Kasdan, if anything, salvaged ROTJ.
    Yeah its on this site. http://starwars.rossiters.com/rotj_screenplays.html

Man that was weird at the end...

He isn't toying with the assassin. He understands that if the assassin spots two Jedi, they might not make a second attempt on her life and thus they will never know if it was disgruntled miners, or the Separatists. The arrogance though, was in thinking that he could sense anything and Obi-wan's uncertainty regarding it.
    Probably worth adding to this that Padme was in on the plan to try and lure the assassin out so they could get to the bottom of the plot and find out who was behind it all.