View Poll Results: Star Wars 7 director?

Voters
87. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Steven Spielberg (Friend of Lucas, has often come close to directing a SW)

7 8.05%
  • George Lucas again

3 3.45%
  • David Lynch (Almost directed ROTJ)

0 0%
  • David Filoni (director of Clone Wars movie and series)

3 3.45%
  • Christopher Nolan (The Dark Knight Trilogy)

4 4.60%
  • Joss Whedon (Serenity, Avengers, various TV series)

22 25.29%
  • J. J Abrams (Star Trek, Super 8, various TV series)

13 14.94%
  • Frank Darabont (Almost directed TPM)

0 0%
  • Kathleen Kennedy (Basically is co-chair of Lucasfilm)

0 0%
  • Gendy Tartovsky (The original Clone Wars micro series, various TV series and Hotel Transylvania)

4 4.60%
  • Brad Bird (Incredibles, Mission Impossible IV)

14 16.09%
  • Francis Ford Copolla (Godfather trilogy & friend of Lucas)

0 0%
  • Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings trilogy)

6 6.90%
  • Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrynth, Hellboy)

7 8.05%
  • others

4 4.60%
Page 78 of 144 FirstFirst ... 286874757677787980818288128 ... LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,170 of 2152

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    right...but it made enough money to warrant a sequel
    I'm not sure what Sighphi is talking about anyways, his initial response seemed like a quality thing, then he switched it over to a money thing. But Tron: Legacy made $400,062,763, it did better than the Captain America movie.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Regarding the return of Vader thing, if they absolutely have to bring back any villains, perhaps they should go the Dark Empire route and simply bring back the Emperor (and maybe Boba Fett as well). Ian Mcdiarmid was one of the better parts of the PT anyway.

It'd bad enough that a lot of the recent EU Sith lords like Malgus and Malek were pretty much Vader anyway.

As for the CG thing, I thought that the Pirates sequels had some decent CG although the story was lacking. Bill Nighy's Davey Jones for example. I don't think the prequels used that much motion capture, although they did have some stand-in actors.
    He's like the only good part of the prequels, and even then it's just really Revenge of the Sith when he's completely over-the-top Darth Sidious.

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    It had nothing to do with it because the process was well on it's way with the Avenger movie.
    Not really. When Disney bought Marvel in 2009, they knew they were working towards an Avengers movie being made, but little of the actual substantive development of the film itself had really started yet; they were still focused on the solo films. Zak Penn had started working on a script by then, but it was basically completely rewritten by Whedon (who was brought on board after the Disney buyout) without Penn's involvement. And the castings of Evans, Renner, and Ruffalo all occurred after the Disney buyout.

Momentum for Avengers was started before Disney, but there's no way Disney didn't get deeply involved in the project after they'd spent $4 billion to buy Marvel.

I'm not sure about Brenda Chapman, reportedly she left Disney in a huff to work at Lucasfilm; of course now she's working for both.

Johnston would be good, people tend to fault him for Jurassic Park III but that was really a rushed film with issues largely out of his control.

Speaking of Johnston, I wonder who's going to be the concept artists for the movie. Ralph Mcquarrie of course has passed on, and didn't really have that much input on the PT anyway (Although his influence was certainly there).
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 11-15-2012 at 07:11 AM.

I assume those who stayed with ILM will get the call to contribute new designs.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I'm not sure about Brenda Chapman, reportedly she left Disney in a huff to work at Lucasfilm; of course now she's working for both.

Johnston would be good, people tend to fault him for Jurassic Park III but that was really a rushed film with issues largely out of his control.

Speaking of Johnston, I wonder who's going to be the concept artists for the movie. Ralph Mcquarrie of course has passed on, and didn't really have that much input on the PT anyway (Although his influence was certainly there).
    Well, she might have left Pixar for this Star Wars movie.

I don't know about Johnston for a Star Wars movie, but maybe that Boba Fett movie he wants to do can get off the ground now.

I wouldn't really say Ralph Mcquarrie influence is all there, the ships are more like Flash Gordon serial stuff, and the new robots all had stupid obvious faces like The Black Hole...what the hell was that about?

Kathleen Kennedy tells Entertainmant Weekly in the upcoming issus that after Star Wars: Episode VII Lucasfilm plains wants to do two or three movies a year.

"Lucasfilm’s co-chairman and soon-to-be president, Kathleen Kennedy, has told employees she wants the company to produce two or three films a year (it’s averaged fewer than four per decade), and first up is Star Wars: Episode VII for 2015, which will pick up sometime after Darth Vader gave his life to overthrow (figuratively and literally) the Emperor and save Luke in 1983’s Episode VI— Return of the Jedi. Yes, the plan is to return to the characters in the first trilogy (1977–83). Whether the original actors will have significant roles or merely be on hand to pass the baton to a new generation of actors—something Lucasfilm tried with mixed success with Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and Disney with TRON: Legacy—is unclear."

I hope that those two or three movies a years are things like Labyrinth, The Land Before Time, & Willow; and not two or three Star Wars movies ever year.

Quote Originally Posted by Simbob4000 View Post
    I hope that those two or three movies a years are things like Labyrinth, The Land Before Time, & Willow; and not two or three Star Wars movies ever year.
    There will likely be 2-3 years between each Star Wars film, because they will not want to over-saturate the market. The other films will probably be other projects, and most likely new properties, not something we have seen already. Except for maybe Indiana Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    There will likely be 2-3 years between each Star Wars film, because they will not want to over-saturate the market. The other films will probably be other projects, and most likely new properties, not something we have seen already. Except for maybe Indiana Jones.
    And also because it's unlikely that 2-3 Star Wars films per year are even a physical possiblility from a logistics point of view.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    And also because it's unlikely that 2-3 Star Wars films per year are even a physical possiblility from a logistics point of view.
    No one tells The Mouse what he can and can not do!!!!
    Support your local roller derby league

Immortal. So far so good! Treqqor's Avatar

Marvel can do it. Why not Star Wars?

It's a HUUUGE galaxy with tons of characters and stories to explore, it doesn't all have to be tied to the main trilogies necessarily.

I'm not saying there will be multiple movies in a year, but it's really pretty simple if they want to.

BANNED

why? it's not like all the same characters have to be in every movie

Quote Originally Posted by Simbob4000 View Post
    Well, she might have left Pixar for this Star Wars movie.

I don't know about Johnston for a Star Wars movie, but maybe that Boba Fett movie he wants to do can get off the ground now.

I wouldn't really say Ralph Mcquarrie influence is all there, the ships are more like Flash Gordon serial stuff, and the new robots all had stupid obvious faces like The Black Hole...what the hell was that about?
    The Radiant, which was the Republic transport that Obi-wan and Qui-gon use to go to Naboo, was designed by McQuarrie years his death. Coruscant itself is partially based off of his work, though modified a bit in certain areas. Other ships that were in the OT, but modified to be in the PT, are obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Treqqor
    It's a HUUUGE galaxy with tons of characters and stories to explore, it doesn't all have to be tied to the main trilogies necessarily.
    Exactly. A "Rogue Squadron" film or one like it. A "Dark Forces" type of game. Maybe a "Knights Of The Old Republic" style film. A film about the bounty hunters. There's all kinds of areas to go into. Adaptations can be done of those stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    Exactly. A "Rogue Squadron" film or one like it. A "Dark Forces" type of game. Maybe a "Knights Of The Old Republic" style film. A film about the bounty hunters. There's all kinds of areas to go into. Adaptations can be done of those stories.
    And while that is a possibility down the road, the next three Star Wars films are going to be about the next generation of the Skywalker Family. Or at least a continuation of what we have seen. Adaptations like this are not in the plans as of this moment. But no one has said definitively that they would never happen. Only that the new trilogy was not going to be an adaptation.

No one is denying that. But if there will be movies once or twice a year, that's about the only way to go beyond just telling the story of the OT cast and the new ST cast. Hence the comparison to what Marvel has been doing since 2008.