View Poll Results: Star Wars 7 director?

Voters
87. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Steven Spielberg (Friend of Lucas, has often come close to directing a SW)

7 8.05%
  • George Lucas again

3 3.45%
  • David Lynch (Almost directed ROTJ)

0 0%
  • David Filoni (director of Clone Wars movie and series)

3 3.45%
  • Christopher Nolan (The Dark Knight Trilogy)

4 4.60%
  • Joss Whedon (Serenity, Avengers, various TV series)

22 25.29%
  • J. J Abrams (Star Trek, Super 8, various TV series)

13 14.94%
  • Frank Darabont (Almost directed TPM)

0 0%
  • Kathleen Kennedy (Basically is co-chair of Lucasfilm)

0 0%
  • Gendy Tartovsky (The original Clone Wars micro series, various TV series and Hotel Transylvania)

4 4.60%
  • Brad Bird (Incredibles, Mission Impossible IV)

14 16.09%
  • Francis Ford Copolla (Godfather trilogy & friend of Lucas)

0 0%
  • Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings trilogy)

6 6.90%
  • Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrynth, Hellboy)

7 8.05%
  • others

4 4.60%
Page 75 of 144 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985125 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 2152

Quote Originally Posted by verslibre View Post
    Really, do the Y-Wings look all that special?
    That hurts. They're a personal favourite. It's the B-Wings I can't stand.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    They were independant films, not beholden to any kind of studio suit.

Also, Star Wars is not dedicated to nostalgic films, not nostalgic film-making techniques. Using new technology, even inventing new technologies to create the films is very much in the spirit of the classic trilogy.
    right WERE...when Lucas was starting on Star Wars, Fox didn't even have a visual FX department, he had to create his own

things are different now and you can either change with the times, or get left behind
    Support your local roller derby league

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    That hurts. They're a personal favourite. It's the B-Wings I can't stand.
    Sorry, I did mean the B-Wings. Yes, they're ghastly. The Y-Wings look fine.

Ghastly B-Wing:

I wasn't zeroing in on your point (spacecraft designs), but at the same time I don't agree they're the reason for the "fakeness" of the PT's FX versus those in the OT. The crafts in the second still do look clunky (and the R2 unit on the side of the one craft looks like an easy target for enemy fire), but if those designs had been in the OT, nobody would have complained. Really, do the Y-Wings look all that special?
    Earlier you brought up Battlestar Galacica's CGI looking much better.
    So obviously it's not the use of CGI in itself that you have an issue with, but something else. A lack of craftsmanship perhaps. Or indeed because a lot of the vehicle designs look absurd or funny. Personally, I think the prequel trilogy ranks with The Mummy 2 and 3 as one of the worst uses of CGI in cinematic history. But it seems to me that people her are saying that there is no such thing as good CGI and that models are inherently superior, no matter what.
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Okay, this is from a UK tabloid so take it with a grain of salt. But remember how there were some of us who speculated on whether or not Disney would have Darth Vader return? Well...

Following news that Disney has bought the rights to the lucrative sci-fi franchise and plans to make at least three more movies, industry insiders say the evil Vader will grace the big screen again.

“He’s an integral part of the franchise. Replacing him is virtually impossible,” explains a film mole.

“The plan is for him to return and play a significant role in the new films.”
    http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...be-resurrected
    Last edited by stillanerd; 11-13-2012 at 12:04 PM.
    --Mike McNulty, aka Stillanerd

Blog: Yes, I Am STILL a Nerd!

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    Okay, this is from a UK tabloid so take it with a grain of salt. But remember how there were some of us who speculated on whether or not Disney would have Darth Vader return? Well...

Eh, Comics is a pretty cool guy...

You didn't bring enough salt for everyone.

Okay, this is from a UK tabloid...
    That says it all, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    You didn't bring enough salt for everyone.
    Yeah, that's a good point. So the rumor is more like this:

--Mike McNulty, aka Stillanerd

Blog: Yes, I Am STILL a Nerd!

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

No... This...

...industry insiders...
    and this

...explains a film mole...
    says it all. Any time an article claims to have a source inside the production, I take it with a whole oceans worth of salt. Industry insiders doesn't mean they are inside Disney or Lucasfilm and a film mole doesn't mean they are a mole at Disney or Lucasfilm.

This article amounts to me to nothing more than "let's post a wild but largely hoped for theory of what the new films might contain and hope that it is proven right so we can look like we actually had the information".

Sorry, I did mean the B-Wings. Yes, they're ghastly. The Y-Wings look fine.

Ghastly B-Wing:

I don't know... I kind of liked that ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    says it all. Any time an article claims to have a source inside the production, I take it with a whole oceans worth of salt. Industry insiders doesn't mean they are inside Disney or Lucasfilm and a film mole doesn't mean they are a mole at Disney or Lucasfilm.

This article amounts to me to nothing more than "let's post a wild but largely hoped for theory of what the new films might contain and hope that it is proven right so we can look like we actually had the information".
    which is why I think the theory of someone else donning the Vader persona may happen...outside of Luke, no one else knows what really happened to Darth Vader after the Battle of Endor

Quote Originally Posted by Simbob4000 View Post
    You don't need the extras to tell if those things had to be done with CGI, or if the CGI grass needed to be added, making the whole scene look fake.
    I didn't say that you couldn't tell that it was or wasn't CGI. I said that they usually talk about why.

Well, it was. They're very fake looking, the hair doesn't look real at all; they're like little cartoons in a live-action movie.
    Tis a matter of opinion.

Yeah, that doesn't change anything I said.
    The bottom line is that the film had the best of both.

I know you're trying to make a point, but I'm not sure what the hell it is. What does each movie being budgeted at $125 have to do with anything? Those movie I listed all cost less than that, as well as what each of the prequels actually came in at.
    The budget has to do with where the money is spent. Lucas felt it was more practical to put the money on CGI suits, than creating a dozen different suits for one extra to wear. Especially given that said suits are difficult to move in and see out of. Lucas was also going to have a large number of troopers moving at once, rather than doing it as he did with the OT.

The way Attack of the Clones is shot, there wouldn't have been a big need to have that many people in real clone trooper armor; they would likely only have needed like eight guys in suits. They wouldn't have needed all those people running around in the background where detail doesn't matter as much be real people, they just needed them for shots where they're doing stuff like talking to Samuel L. Jackson, shooting laser guns in dust, riding in those clone trooper ships...just things where they're more in the foreground.
    That's why the end result is one guy, Bode Taylor, wearing a green and/or a blue screen suit. This one guy was then used to create the singular movements for the Jango Fett clones, so that they all line up a certain way. The same way that your body movements are different from your family members, much less your friends, as opposed to a clone. Taylor was then replicated through the use of computers, just like LOTR, allowing for multiple troopers on screen at once.

Each peice of armor was virtually the same in the new movies too. The clone troopers pretty much just look like Stormtroopers with speed fins on their heads.
    The armor all varied. Different colors, different equipment, different shapes.

Yeah, it's readily apparent what he did, the prequel movies are less like movies and more like demo reels for ILM. A lot of people could also tell they were CGI, it's blatantly obvious they're CGI.
    The OT was just as much a demo for ILM. And all the models and matte paintings were just as obvious.

This doesn't even make sense with what we're talking about. I was talking about having people in real costumes, not blue suits. You wouldn't need to CGI out people that already look like what you're going to CGI in...that would be crazy.
    Why? That's what is done. A person does motion capture and then the effects team creates the look of whatever it is in post production. That was what was done with the Clonetroopers.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    They should do something about the fact that the spaceships in the old movies look more real than the ones in the prequel, that would help me to enjoy the cgi.
    There were models used in the PT as well. The difference is that in the OT, we're seeing ships that have been around the block. In the PT, we're seeing ships that are in a time of peace. And then we see wartime ships in ROTS. But in basic terms, it's still the same.

The new stuff looked pretty, but there will always be an issue with cgi. Attack of The Clones, i think when they went to the planet where they were making the clones, you had cgi buildings with cgi aliens and cgi walls with cgi floors with cgi skys and cgi water, and then an actor standing there. You can't possibly make that look real, it's a fake overload.
    The oceans of Kamino are CGI because of "The Perfect Storm" where it was used to create the hurricane scenes on the ocean. ILM did the work on that and applied it to AOTC. It's a bit difficult to obtain actual tidal waves of that magnitude in real life, which is why CGI had to be used in both films. In terms of Coruscant, that is precisely why Lucas dropped it from ROTJ. Because he couldn't do it the way that he wanted to, back in 1982 and waited until he could. He didn't want to rely on models alone like with "Blade Runner" and "Superman". As to the aliens, many couldn't be done with just puppets alone and stop motion would have been just as noticeable and time consuming.

I don't think there is anything that can be done to make that not look fake.
    No more than you can with the older, practical effects.

It looks more fake because it actually is more fake. Super shiny super sleek spaceships don't exsist, so of course they aren't going to look real.
    But an X wing? People have probably built life sized xwings in real life.
    Jedi Starfighters were built on set. Slave I was the same model, only slightly tweaked, from TESB. In ROTJ, the Falcon wasn't on set. Only the cockpit was used. The rest of the shots in the hangar were a matte painting. Lucas did have partial external models made of the Falcon, an X-Wing, a Y-Wing, a B-Wing, an A-Wing and the Imperial shuttle since he couldn't do what he could in the PT. This cut back costs for building and tearing down the ships from the on location and on set scenes. When necessary, actual props were created for the actors to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium
    which is why I think the theory of someone else donning the Vader persona may happen...outside of Luke, no one else knows what really happened to Darth Vader after the Battle of Endor
    That would only work after ROTJ, if the film has a younger cast and it takes place immediately after. Otherwise, the Alliance would inform everyone that Vader killed Sidious and both were dead. Besides, there is no theory. There is wild speculation, the opposition of theory.
    Last edited by Mat001; 11-13-2012 at 01:28 PM.

Didn't they have full-size podracers for part of TPM? Not in motion but the scene at the beginning where the racers are all being announced and moved onto the track. In fact I think the very first look at TPM's model shop included a pod.

Although apparentally the filming for that scene suffered because of a sandstorm which damaged the set.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Didn't they have full-size podracers for part of TPM? Not in motion but the scene at the beginning where the racers are all being announced and moved onto the track. In fact I think the very first look at TPM's model shop included a pod.

Although apparentally the filming for that scene suffered because of a sandstorm which damaged the set.
    I think Anakins pod and some others were built out