View Poll Results: Star Wars 7 director?

Voters
87. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Steven Spielberg (Friend of Lucas, has often come close to directing a SW)

7 8.05%
  • George Lucas again

3 3.45%
  • David Lynch (Almost directed ROTJ)

0 0%
  • David Filoni (director of Clone Wars movie and series)

3 3.45%
  • Christopher Nolan (The Dark Knight Trilogy)

4 4.60%
  • Joss Whedon (Serenity, Avengers, various TV series)

22 25.29%
  • J. J Abrams (Star Trek, Super 8, various TV series)

13 14.94%
  • Frank Darabont (Almost directed TPM)

0 0%
  • Kathleen Kennedy (Basically is co-chair of Lucasfilm)

0 0%
  • Gendy Tartovsky (The original Clone Wars micro series, various TV series and Hotel Transylvania)

4 4.60%
  • Brad Bird (Incredibles, Mission Impossible IV)

14 16.09%
  • Francis Ford Copolla (Godfather trilogy & friend of Lucas)

0 0%
  • Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings trilogy)

6 6.90%
  • Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrynth, Hellboy)

7 8.05%
  • others

4 4.60%
Page 65 of 144 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975115 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    Well, it depends on what they are doing. If they go with the story being right after ROTJ, then recasting all the players is a must. If instead they time shift it so that the original actors can reprise their roles and Ford doesn't want to come back, and if Han is essential to the story... I say cast Dennis Quaid as Han. Look at him in Vegas, he seems to be channeling Harrison Fords performance in Cowboys and Aliens, and he has the look. He could easily play an aging Han Solo.

Attachment 103964
    Ditto!

Not to be disrespectful or anything but I think the original cast might be a bit too are a old for today's audience; unless of course Mark Hamil will play Luke's Force ethereal essence that guides the new hero through the ways of the Jedi as Ben Kenobi did for Luke in the original movies. I'd like to see Carrie Fisher as a respected Jedi Lady of calss who who coaches the new Princess in the ways of the Force and teaches her what it means to be a young woman of character and leadership as that would be good for the young girls watching Episode VII in theaters.

It'd be totally canon because in Star Wars Legacy Ben Kenobi is a guide to his distant relative who's name is Cade Skywalker.

I have a feeling the younglings in from 'The Gathering' episode of season 5 of SWTCW might have a small chance of playing a role in the episode VII movie.
    Last edited by RoyalTailor; 11-07-2012 at 01:18 PM. Reason: spelling corrections

Ben Kenobi? No, Luke Skywalker mentored Cade Skywalker in LEGACY (well, not so much 'mentored' as 'nagged him about his drug habit and his apathy')

The younglings from TCW are pretty cool so far (except the humans; yawn! The cocky kid and the mini-Adi-Stass-Allie-Gallia), but... I dunno. They're all older than Luke. IF they all survive TCW, and IF they all survive Order 66 (K'Kruhk helped several younglings survive in the DARK TIMES comics), they've gotta live in hiding and basically NOT be Jedi for a couple decades. Stuff like that makes me kinda wish the post-ROTJ EU were rebooted (not in the way Episode VII is likely to, tho), keeping some of the best stuff but incorporating all these ideas we've had from the prequel era. I love the idea of dozens of Jedi surviving Order 66, but giving up being Jedi in order to survive the 'dark times' and still fulfill Yoda's declaration to Luke about being the 'last' of the Jedi. Then, with the Sith gone, those 'non-Jedi' could dust off their lightsabers and venture out from their new lives to meet up with Luke and form a new Jedi order different from the old. Previously, that couldn't happen because that era was off-limits and everyone took the 'last of the Jedi' and 'Vader hunted down Jedi' ideas too literally. Having some survivors help Luke and rediscover themselves is a lot more interesting than Luke cobbling together a new order based on tidbits of records and just winging it for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalTailor View Post
    Ditto!

Not to be disrespectful or anything but I think the original cast might be a bit too are a old for today's audience
    Explain the box office success of "Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull", "The Expendables" films and "Live Free Or Die Hard".

Quote Originally Posted by Toonimator View Post
    Ben Kenobi? No, Luke Skywalker mentored Cade Skywalker in LEGACY (well, not so much 'mentored' as 'nagged him about his drug habit and his apathy')

The younglings from TCW are pretty cool so far (except the humans; yawn! The cocky kid and the mini-Adi-Stass-Allie-Gallia), but... I dunno. They're all older than Luke. IF they all survive TCW, and IF they all survive Order 66 (K'Kruhk helped several younglings survive in the DARK TIMES comics), they've gotta live in hiding and basically NOT be Jedi for a couple decades. Stuff like that makes me kinda wish the post-ROTJ EU were rebooted (not in the way Episode VII is likely to, tho), keeping some of the best stuff but incorporating all these ideas we've had from the prequel era. I love the idea of dozens of Jedi surviving Order 66, but giving up being Jedi in order to survive the 'dark times' and still fulfill Yoda's declaration to Luke about being the 'last' of the Jedi. Then, with the Sith gone, those 'non-Jedi' could dust off their lightsabers and venture out from their new lives to meet up with Luke and form a new Jedi order different from the old. Previously, that couldn't happen because that era was off-limits and everyone took the 'last of the Jedi' and 'Vader hunted down Jedi' ideas too literally. Having some survivors help Luke and rediscover themselves is a lot more interesting than Luke cobbling together a new order based on tidbits of records and just winging it for many years.
    that is just a lot of stuff no one really wants to muddle through
    Support your local roller derby league

Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    Explain the box office success of "Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull", "The Expendables" films and "Live Free Or Die Hard".
    Exactly. Age and a good story have nothing to do with each other. And while many disliked Crystal Skull, I for one among many found it to be at least entertaining. It was fun to see Indy back at it and in his element, and show his son the ropes. And how at the end he grabbed the hat from the kid as if to say "Hold on Jr. I ain't ready to hang it up yet". That was a great moment. And in the next one they can play around with that iconology with the silhouette shots and you won't know for sure if it is father or son. And maybe it can end up being both, going after the same thing from different directions.

Father and son provide so many opportunities for playing with the audience in a visually tricky way.

Considering all those movies suck, Nostalgia.
    ...And does Mr. Goddanm Batman says so much as ''Thanks''? OF COURSE not. That'd hardly be GRIM AND GRITTY, would it?

The jerk...

-DKU's Jim Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    Considering all those movies suck, Nostalgia.
    I think the point is a movie can be a hit with an older cast. Whether you think those movies suck or not is totally beside the point, they were still hits.
    People who chime in on vs. threads with "I don't like Superman at all, but he'd win.", STOP HELPING! Superman doesn't need your damning him with faint praise, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Toonimator View Post

I am so sorry! I didn't mean to type out Ben Kenobi; that was a REALLY bad error on my part.

@Vidocq I agree that "The Expendables" films and "Live Free Or Die Hard" are awful movies but I don't think that Kingdom of the Crystal Skull sucks at all because I enjoyed it but I think that we need to remember Harrison Ford and Indiana Jones as he was in his prime and furthermore I simply don't think that there will ever be another Indiana Jones movie with Harrison Ford unless it's a movie in which they hand off the Fedora to Shia LeBeouf. Sadly, Spielberg and Lucas have both made it clear that they have no real interest in making another Indiana Jones movie. I think there is more possibility of us getting another set of 'The Mummy' movies as opposed to Indiana Jones.

Thus far, Star Wars has always been about young heroes, 19 to 30-something, generally, with an older mentor here & there (plus a lot of older villains).

Nope, because there was the question raised that it wasn't Maul.
    In what why was the question raised, was it a real question being raised, or was it just the Emperor blowing it off as not being the real Maul to Vader? Have haven't looked at the comic since it came out.

She has the ability to use the Force and with proper Jedi training and total selflessness, she can retain her identity.

She doesn't show any ability to use the Force in the movies. If they just had her show up as a ghost in a new movie it would just be weird. It would be like: Oh, I guess in the years we didn't see she also became a Jedi master, and then died in some way, and now she's a ghost.

She shows ability at the end of ROTJ, when she senses that Luke wasn't on the Death Star when it exploded. Retroactively, it could be argued that she demonstrated some ability in TESB when she sensed Luke's location... however, originally, that was either one of two things: either it was a leftover bit from the 'mind powers' she had as a member of the royal family from early drafts of Episode IV (not terribly likely), or it was all Luke, reaching out with the Force to the one close friend he knew to be nearby.

In any case, sensing Luke in ROTJ was a sure sign, plus Luke told her she'd learn to use the Force as he had, in time. I think that's enough foundation for her to become a Jedi offscreen, and eventual Jedi spirit (I gotta figure Luke would learn the trick from his Ghostly Trio and pass it on to anyone he teaches)

Quote Originally Posted by Simbob4000 View Post

She doesn't show any ability to use the Force in the movies. If they just had her show up as a ghost in a new movie it would just be weird. It would be like: Oh, I guess in the years we didn't see she also became a Jedi master, and then died in some way, and now she's a ghost.
    That can be helped with a few lines of exposition. Just a little talk to the Younglings about the founding of the New Jedi Order or something.
    ...And does Mr. Goddanm Batman says so much as ''Thanks''? OF COURSE not. That'd hardly be GRIM AND GRITTY, would it?

The jerk...

-DKU's Jim Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    Darth Maul was much cooler than Boba Fett, who turned out to be nothing more than a joke. A funny joke, but a joke nonetheless.
    Ah I think Fett was more memorable all the way through. Every kid at his action figure when I was young.
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!

Matthew Vaughn is rumored to be on the short list. It could be why he suddenly dropped out of X-Men.
    "Family Guy jumped the shark when i stopped getting high every time i watched it. " - Alex

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalTailor View Post
    I think that Disney/Lucasfilm could certainly cast Mark Pellegrino as Han Solo.
    Robert "Longmire" Taylor. He looks just like Ford.
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!