View Poll Results: Star Wars 7 director?

Voters
87. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Steven Spielberg (Friend of Lucas, has often come close to directing a SW)

7 8.05%
  • George Lucas again

3 3.45%
  • David Lynch (Almost directed ROTJ)

0 0%
  • David Filoni (director of Clone Wars movie and series)

3 3.45%
  • Christopher Nolan (The Dark Knight Trilogy)

4 4.60%
  • Joss Whedon (Serenity, Avengers, various TV series)

22 25.29%
  • J. J Abrams (Star Trek, Super 8, various TV series)

13 14.94%
  • Frank Darabont (Almost directed TPM)

0 0%
  • Kathleen Kennedy (Basically is co-chair of Lucasfilm)

0 0%
  • Gendy Tartovsky (The original Clone Wars micro series, various TV series and Hotel Transylvania)

4 4.60%
  • Brad Bird (Incredibles, Mission Impossible IV)

14 16.09%
  • Francis Ford Copolla (Godfather trilogy & friend of Lucas)

0 0%
  • Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings trilogy)

6 6.90%
  • Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrynth, Hellboy)

7 8.05%
  • others

4 4.60%
Page 57 of 144 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167107 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    He's not a big fan, OK...but does he absolutely *detest* STAR WARS so much that not even the promise of a good payday would lure him back? Even if he isn't gaga in love with STAR WARS, just what was so bad about his experience with it that no amount of money would lure him to do it...even just as a *job*?

There's got to be an underlying story if Ford hates it *that* much.
    I don't think he hates it at all, his problem was that Han Solo's story was over in the first movie. The character wasn't very interesting to him after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    You are assuming that the story would heavily revolve around Luke and or Lea. As history loves to repeat itself, they would likely be part of a governing body of Jedi, and Luke could fulfill the Obi Wan role as the man who restored the Jedi order. But the main focus could well be on other characters, other Jedi, not just the Skywalker children. Although I expect the children would play a part in the story.
    This could be workable at least figuratively.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonofspam View Post
    And the prequels did the same thing in some ways seeing a younger Obi-won and a younger Emporer and such.
    The younger emperor was the same actor as in ROTJ.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Robb View Post
    I don't think he hates it at all, his problem was that Han Solo's story was over in the first movie. The character wasn't very interesting to him after that.
    Which is funny because most people I think would agree that Han, story wise, was at his best in Empire.

I think if the script was compelling enough, Ford would sign on.
    Eh, Comics is a pretty cool guy...

I don't think Han is absolutely essential to the storyline going forward. Would I like to see Han in the sequel trilogy? Yes. But I think he could be removed and replaced with another character fairly easily. All it takes is a line explaining how Hans luck ran out shortly after the victory on Yavin when some bounty hunter caught him by surprise.

But it is my hope that Harrison Ford would agree to come back, just so as not to be appearing to thumb his nose at the fans. His and Star Wars.

The Mexican James Bond Guapo Méndez's Avatar

We're not overestimating the appeal of Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher or Harrison Ford. The appeal the crappy prequels had was based on the promise that we would see the origin of just one of the characters and see the Jedi when they were around.

Get the originals and you get *every* Star Wars fan over 30 and they will bring their kids. The rest will go to see more Jedi vs Sith or Jedi vs. Yuuzhan Vong.

Really, the only way to screw up this franchise is to start it with whiny Luke Jr. and his pal, Chewbaccita, trying to go to the Jedi prom and avoiding detention because they rigged the lighstabers to explode over Principal Binks.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    I don't think Han is absolutely essential to the storyline going forward. Would I like to see Han in the sequel trilogy? Yes. But I think he could be removed and replaced with another character fairly easily. All it takes is a line explaining how Hans luck ran out shortly after the victory on Yavin when some bounty hunter caught him by surprise.

But it is my hope that Harrison Ford would agree to come back, just so as not to be appearing to thumb his nose at the fans. His and Star Wars.
    I think if they killed off Han Solo off-screen you'd get a bigger fanboy uproar than you did with midichlorians.

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothDZX View Post
    I think if they killed off Han Solo off-screen you'd get a bigger fanboy uproar than you did with midichlorians.
    Perhaps, but if Ford refuses to return, there would be little choice. And in my estimation, it would be better to have had him die earlier rather than later. Head off the possibility of Leas children being Hans. Perhaps she ends up then meeting another Jedi and their children become VERY powerful.

Just spitballing here.

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guapo Méndez View Post
    We're not overestimating the appeal of Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher or Harrison Ford. The appeal the crappy prequels had was based on the promise that we would see the origin of just one of the characters and see the Jedi when they were around.

Get the originals and you get *every* Star Wars fan over 30 and they will bring their kids. The rest will go to see more Jedi vs Sith or Jedi vs. Yuuzhan Vong.

Really, the only way to screw up this franchise is to start it with whiny Luke Jr. and his pal, Chewbaccita, trying to go to the Jedi prom and avoiding detention because they rigged the lighstabers to explode over Principal Binks.
    The appeal of the prequels was the name "Star Wars." Every Star Wars fan over 30 with kids old enough to get into the theater but too young to go to the movie by themselves will be bringing their kids regardless of whether Hammill et al. are in it, because their kid will pester them to death if they don't. I don't care how big a nostalgias trip they're on, people aren't going to pay money to see a movie (they wouldn't otherwise see) just because Mark Hammill and Carrie Fisher are in it. They might do it for Ford, but he's earned it on the merits of his career (and even his days as a name draw in anything other than Indiana Jones may be behind him). For most people, the only real appeal Hammill and Fisher would have in a Star Wars movie (in anything other than a brief cameo) is the chance to gawk at the spectacle of two over the hill has-beens trying to recapture past glory.

We definitely shouldn't overestimate how much the original cast would impact box office numbers. Again, people seem to watch Star Wars no matter what. The original cast would perhaps get some people more excited about Episode 7, but it's not like these people wouldn't watch the movie otherwise.

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    We definitely shouldn't overestimate how much the original cast would impact box office numbers. Again, people seem to watch Star Wars no matter what. The original cast would perhaps get some people more excited about Episode 7, but it's not like these people wouldn't watch the movie otherwise.
    Exactly. The notion that large numbers of people who wouldn't be otherwise interested in a new Star Wars movie would queue up to see it just because Mark Hammill and Carrie Fisher are in it is pure fanthink.

The Mexican James Bond Guapo Méndez's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    The appeal of the prequels was the name "Star Wars."
    It wasn't just any element of Star Wars. It was the "origin of the saga" and the start of Darth Vader, one of the most iconic villains in cinema history.

Every Star Wars fan over 30 with kids old enough to get into the theater but too young to go to the movie by themselves will be bringing their kids regardless of whether Hammill et al. are in it, because their kid will pester them to death if they don't. I don't care how big a nostalgias trip they're on, people aren't going to pay money to see a movie (they wouldn't otherwise see) just because Mark Hammill and Carrie Fisher are in it.
    Oh, they will. Original actors in their iconic roles , even for cameos, do tend to pull a good amount of people.

They might do it for Ford, but he's earned it on the merits of his career (and even his days as a name draw in anything other than Indiana Jones may be behind him). For most people, the only real appeal Hammill and Fisher would have in a Star Wars movie (in anything other than a brief cameo) is the chance to gawk at the spectacle of two over the hill has-beens trying to recapture past glory.
    Meh.

I'd love to see the old gang back and enjoy how they tackle the role 35 years later. Older, wiser, humbler, bolder...there's a thousand ways they can play those roles now and still make it a treat for the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Exactly. The notion that large numbers of people who wouldn't be otherwise interested in a new Star Wars movie would queue up to see it just because Mark Hammill and Carrie Fisher are in it is pure fanthink.
    I kind of think you're all looking a little too deep into it. People wouldn't line up to see it because Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher are in the movie. They'd line up because Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia are in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothDZX View Post
    I kind of think you're all looking a little too deep into it. People wouldn't line up to see it because Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher are in the movie. They'd line up because Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia are in the movie.
    I miss the days when people lined up to see the movies casue DARTH VADER was in the movies but those days are long long gone and never coming back.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

With thirty-plus years since the original STAR WARS cast having played their famous roles, they've likely become more accomplished actors in the intervening years. I wonder how that they will play into their performances.

Then again, STAR WARS movies have a way of blunting the acting abilities of even excellent actors (McGregor, Portman, Neeson, Jackson), but with someone other than Lucas writing the scripts/directing, that could change.

Actually, I kind of wonder if good acting would actually work with STAR WARS. Awkward acting is sort of a part of STAR WARS' DNA.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    faze (v.): to cause to be disturbed or disconcerted; to stun

phase (n.):
    a stage in a process of change or development

Get it right, people.