View Poll Results: Star Wars 7 director?

Voters
87. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Steven Spielberg (Friend of Lucas, has often come close to directing a SW)

7 8.05%
  • George Lucas again

3 3.45%
  • David Lynch (Almost directed ROTJ)

0 0%
  • David Filoni (director of Clone Wars movie and series)

3 3.45%
  • Christopher Nolan (The Dark Knight Trilogy)

4 4.60%
  • Joss Whedon (Serenity, Avengers, various TV series)

22 25.29%
  • J. J Abrams (Star Trek, Super 8, various TV series)

13 14.94%
  • Frank Darabont (Almost directed TPM)

0 0%
  • Kathleen Kennedy (Basically is co-chair of Lucasfilm)

0 0%
  • Gendy Tartovsky (The original Clone Wars micro series, various TV series and Hotel Transylvania)

4 4.60%
  • Brad Bird (Incredibles, Mission Impossible IV)

14 16.09%
  • Francis Ford Copolla (Godfather trilogy & friend of Lucas)

0 0%
  • Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings trilogy)

6 6.90%
  • Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrynth, Hellboy)

7 8.05%
  • others

4 4.60%
Page 52 of 144 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sonofspam View Post
    Since i asked this in the other thread and noone has answered i will try it here since this has been bugging me, what exactly does Lucas get out of this deal? money? the man has plenty of that and it doesn't look like he needs anymore of it.

If he has realized that his "gifts" are waning that's great but why sell out to the big mouse? he has always patted himself on the back for his independence and now that's gone has no control or say so about what is gonna happen in his movies anymore, which is weird cause he has had some control tendencies before.

He gets $2 billion in cash, and $2 billion in Disney stock. Maybe now he'll go make those little movies he talked about wanting to make but never really seemed interesting in doing.

Veteran Membah Forgotten Entity's Avatar

We'll see where this goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    because The Mouse has the tools and the talent to keep the franchise going
    And the lawyers and lobby power to hold onto it for eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by Simbob4000 View Post
    He gets $2 billion in cash, and $2 billion in Disney stock. Maybe now he'll go make those little movies he talked about wanting to make but never really seemed interesting in doing.
    Doesn't he get more money from licensing and stuff though?
    I assumed this was because he wouldn't mind seeing 7, 8 and 9 but doesn't think he wants to make them, so is letting someone who has the capacity to do it before he dies try.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I assumed this was because he wouldn't mind seeing 7, 8 and 9 but doesn't think he wants to make them, so is letting someone who has the capacity to do it before he dies try.
    indeed

I don't know what kind of answer people are looking for as to why

seems pretty clear to me
    Support your local roller derby league

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Simbob4000 View Post
    According to a report Lucas is gonna donate a good part of that money to charities he made off Disney. A good bit will go to schools .
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    According to a report Lucas is gonna donate a good part of that money to charities he made off Disney. A good bit will go to schools .
    So it probably can't be the money then.
    Like...if he just wanted to give money he has the money to do that already.

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    There's nothing illogical about it. he's closing in on 70 and wants to do other things with his life. He looked around and decided that Disney had the best combo of resources needed to keep things going. I don't see what's so hard to understand about that.
    But he spent most of his life creating something that Disney already has, he didn't need to sell his company to them to get those resources.

Your shoelaces are untied Kalen O.'s Avatar

But he spent most of his life creating something that Disney already has, he didn't need to sell his company to them to get those resources.
    It could also be a matter of protecting his legacy. Rather than leave it all to be parceled out after his death, by selling now Lucas got to ensure who would carry on the Star Wars franchise, and have a role in shepherding the first couple movies under its new ownership, kind of like a transitional period. This way he gets to be confident his 'masterpiece' will continue on in a direction he's content with rather than leave it to chance after he's gone.
    My favorite character can beat up your favorite character.

Loser.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalen O. View Post
    It could also be a matter of protecting his legacy. Rather than leave it all to be parceled out after his death, by selling now Lucas got to ensure who would carry on the Star Wars franchise, and have a role in shepherding the first couple movies under its new ownership, kind of like a transitional period. This way he gets to be confident his 'masterpiece' will continue on in a direction he's content with rather than leave it to chance after he's gone.
    Well, he was content with the prequels though sooooo...

Your shoelaces are untied Kalen O.'s Avatar

Well, he was content with the prequels though sooooo...
    Huh? I'm sorry, I don't understand this post. Of course he was content with the prequels, he directed them. What does that have to do with my post?
    My favorite character can beat up your favorite character.

Loser.

I'm not sure how much he makes on licensing, it's a lot; I remember reading something about Spyro Skylander toys overtaking Star Wars in sales about a week ago, but I'm not really sure how old that story was. I'm sure being one of the biggest individual stock holders in Disney is pretty good.

If he just wanted to see 7, 8, and 9 get made, and didn't want to make them himself, I'm sure he could have just done what he did with The Empire Strikes Back & Return of the Jedi; just find some other people to write the screenplays and direct them.

Besides the Avengers which was really a Marvel property what has Disney done live action that can be trusted to handle Star Wars ?

Besides the Avengers which was really a Marvel property what has Disney done live action that can be trusted to handle Star Wars ?
    It's not as simple as that. The same people who handle Marvel studios are not the same who handle Disney Animation or will handle LucasFilms.

I could cite Pulp Fiction and Clerks, both under Miramax and some of the first movies that came under it's Disney Management. Doesn't really mean a damn thing. It would really depend on who will manage LucasFilms now that George selled it.
    ...And does Mr. Goddanm Batman says so much as ''Thanks''? OF COURSE not. That'd hardly be GRIM AND GRITTY, would it?

The jerk...

-DKU's Jim Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    Luke was wrong to leave Dagobah like that, which he later admits. When it came to rescuing Han, that wasn't selfish since he was thinking of his friend and not himself like he did on Cloud City.
    Selfishly trying to save his friends from torture...

Pretty Woman? Fantastic Journey? Black Hole? Tron 1 and 2? Mary Poppins?
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...