Default DMZ, it gets better?

I feel like the first issue was pretty slow, and I just wanted to check it out because I was not sure of how it was. The plot sounded interesting, but I'm just wondering if it gets better early or later in the series?

Not really.
    DMZ starts at a very high level, and stayed there. First issue hooked me instantly.

How is it slow? I just flipped though it, and there's a ton of stuff happening inthere.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

I wasn't impressed by the first arc at all. It was issue 4, "Ghosts", that hooked me on the series. It never looked back after that, and I loved the series until it's end.

(In fact, I remember after the launches in that wave dropped their first issues, I predicted that The Exterminators was the winner and that DMZ was the dog.)
    Last edited by FanboyStranger; 10-30-2012 at 11:57 AM.

Veteran Member The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

I'd gotten the #1st issue when it came out, and recall my impression being not as bowled over as I'd previously anticipated. But I got the trade on a whim not long after; and like Stranger, I stuck through, and I'd say it ultimately dethroned Y: The Last Man as being my favorite Vertigo title from the last 10 years.

I guess Wood's more longform work just reads better in trade. I'm reading Massive and his Conan run that way, too.

DMZ is actually one of my least favorite from Vertigo. Can't even eloquently state why, simply didn't do it for me. Bought all the trades at once & read end to end in one go & immediately listed on eBay when finished.

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NCatron View Post
    DMZ is actually one of my least favorite from Vertigo. Can't even eloquently state why, simply didn't do it for me. Bought all the trades at once & read end to end in one go & immediately listed on eBay when finished.
    Same here.

I love Wood but DMZ just didn't hook and hit me like most of his works. I stopped reading half-way and haven't gone back.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

DMZ is wildly uneven, but it gets pretty great. The endinding is perect, and the last couple arcs were some of the best.

I've not finished it yet. I was reading in trade and stopped most comic buying before the 9th came out. I am currently rereading with the intention of completing it though.

I agree with Fanboy Stranger that it was the Ghosts issue that hooked me. Glad to hear from fever00 that the last couple of arcs are the best!

Does anybody else who read it in trade hate the introductions? I think they are horrible.
    Chew, Daredevil, Fatale, Mind The Gap, The Sixth Gun and The Walking Dead

I have not read it yet, but I plan on doing so during the winter. But then again, I have a bunch of other series I want to read to.

Decisions, decisions...

I read the first couple of trades and couldn't finish the series. From what I've seen, it didn't get much better. Just not interesting to me, personally.
    Wonders never cease

Yes and No. It gets better as the story goes along, but about 2 thirds of the way in it completely loses me. It becomes really unsatisfing and it ends poorly in my book so the entire ride feels like a waste of time. I wouldn't bother continuing it.

ive picked up first 3 trades w8ing for it to get good never happened gave up