Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

I got caught up on my Harbinger and Archer and Armstrong this weekend. I have yet to read Shadowman yet but I have yet to see a bad issue from the new Valiant. It's really been a breath of fresh air and reminds me of why I love superhero comics so well.

wow...most of my tweets involving valiant have been retweeted by their twitter account it's insane how much they care about the fans no other comic publisher seems to do that Not DC Not Marvel Not Dark Horse Image Or Archie if you ever send a tweet involving them there's practically no chance of it getting retweeted(Maybe if you are from a review site...maybe)but valiant retweets messages from fans constantly!
    Pull: ASM MS.M Punisher SS AT MLP: FIM MLP: FF ANGR ANU UFF Loki

https://www.facebook.com/UltimateFF2014 (Unofficial Ultimate FF Page)

Quote Originally Posted by The Animal Man View Post
    wow...most of my tweets involving valiant have been retweeted by their twitter account it's insane how much they care about the fans no other comic publisher seems to do that Not DC Not Marvel Not Dark Horse Image Or Archie if you ever send a tweet involving them there's practically no chance of it getting retweeted(Maybe if you are from a review site...maybe)but valiant retweets messages from fans constantly!
    Dark Horse has always replied to all my messages both the ones by email and on facebook. So i wouldn't say that they never reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Blastermaster View Post
    Dark Horse has always replied to all my messages both the ones by email and on facebook. So i wouldn't say that they never reply.
    I would say most creators not named Liefeld, Johns or Bendis are pretty good about interacting with the fans, and same goes for the small publishers. I just wouldn't expect much from Marvel or DC's official twitter or the big-ego, "exclusive," grand-high-muckety-mucks.
    Last edited by BugsySig; 11-09-2012 at 11:25 AM.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

Being both a fan of Valiant and Marvel, looking at the Valiant relaunch I came up with these comparisons:
    X-O Manowar- Ironman
    Vine- Skrulls
    Harbinger Foundation- Xavier's school for the gifted
    Bloodshot- Wolverine
    PRS- Weapon Plus
    A&A- Hercules and Amadeus Cho
    the Sect- the Hand
    Shadowman- Brother Voodoo/Moon Knight
    New Avengers*Unity* Shadowman* RAI* TRANSFORMERS* MILES MORALES

Quote Originally Posted by rasx View Post
    Being both a fan of Valiant and Marvel, looking at the Valiant relaunch I came up with these comparisons:
    X-O Manowar- Ironman
    Vine- Skrulls
    Bloodshot- Wolverine
    PRS- Weapon Plus
    the Sect- the Hand
    There are easy comparisons to make. Jim Shooter was EIC at Marvel before founding VALIANT after all. Harbinger is the most obvious, thou with some slight twists. The others are more amalgams.

I always saw XO as Iron Man, Thor and Cap rolled into one with a touch of Venom. Bloodshot is Wolverine meets Punisher. Shadowman is Daredevil, Moon Knight and some Brother Voodoo for good measure.

A&A predates Herc and Cho, though the current series is pretty similar in tone and concept.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by rasx View Post
    Well yeah, theres lots of parallels going on; Valiant 1.0 was hailed as 'the next Marvel' back in their first run in the early to mid 90s, and it all started because Jim Shooter (Marvel's EiC for much of the 80s) was denied the chance to buy the company he worked for.

X-O Manowar- Ironman
    Shooter always said they created XO Manowar as an analogue to Iron Man; and that he would have the creative freedom to do the things he really wanted to that Marvel wouldn't allow.

Vine- Skrulls
    The Vined used to be the Spider Aliens in Valiant 1.0, and fed off mammal's blood (including human's) which in turn are similar to the reptiles from V and so many other alien races that are derivations of the one featured in the original War of the Worlds.

Sure, if Xavier was an evil corporate owner instead of a well meaning yet flawed headmaster.

Bloodshot- Wolverine
    Originally Bloodshot was a resurrected mobster, not military/spook. That made the parallers with Wolverine less apparent.

PRS- Weapon Plus
    Yup, Project Rising Spirit indeed was a parallel, back when the Weapon X program stood on its own as a Canada black ops response to the Super Soldier program, and Wolverine was its only product.

Sure, but A&A came before - Marvel came up with Cho just a couple of years back and turned Hercules into a schtick.

the Sect- the Hand
    Yeah different mission statements but its the same basic concept.

I'd say theres more Doctor Strange than Moon Knight in there
    Last edited by havok1977; 11-08-2012 at 02:53 PM.
    KingConan|Hellboy|BlackScience|EastOfWest|Fatale|L azarus|Prophet|Saga|Umbral|Velvet|Harbinger|Rai|Unity|XO
    ASW|Batman|GL+C|JL+U|RL|SwampThing|WonderWoman
    _ N U Avengers|Cap|DD|MK|Thor

Quote Originally Posted by BugsySig View Post
    I would say most creators not named Liefeld, Johns or Bendis are pretty good about interacting with the fans, and same goes for the small publishers. I just wouldn't expect much from Marvel or Valiant's official twitter or the big-ego, "exclusive," grand-high-muckety-mucks.
    yeah normally you wouldn't expect much from a comic company's official twitter account but valiant has retweeted fan feedback constantly and seems to really care even when it's just a hype message or something short like I Can't wait to get my copy of shadowman#!!! Hyped Up!

Quote Originally Posted by The Animal Man View Post
    yeah normally you wouldn't expect much from a comic company's official twitter account but valiant has retweeted fan feedback constantly and seems to really care even when it's just a hype message or something short like I Can't wait to get my copy of shadowman#!!! Hyped Up!
    That was supposed to say "Marvel and DC"...fixed

Archie Comics New Crusaders And Ian Flynn Twitter accounts retweeted a recent tweet i made but they still don't match up to valiant's insane dedication to the fans i don't even know why they retweet so many messages it just seems like they only do it because they can do it

because they aren't marvel/dc they aren't busy with several dozen things going on at once they have far less titles to keep track of and more freedom to do what they want

Rolling My Eyes At You mr_hyde2120's Avatar

Shadow Man was A pretty good read. Can only get better from here

I know we are in the computer age right now, but I would really like to see a letters page on Valiant books. I like reading the fan questions and creator responses(even though I don't think Valiant had a letters page in the 90's).
    The only few books that seem to have letters pages anymore are from Image.
    New Avengers*Unity* Shadowman* RAI* TRANSFORMERS* MILES MORALES

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Been hearing a lot of good things about the new Valiant. I need to hurry up and win the lottery so I can buy more comics!
    Comics were happier before the Internet turned writing superhero stories into fruitless attempts to impress/entertain a small group of ppl who appear to hate comics and their creators.
    Grant Morrison

Whats the history of XO Manowar? Its a remake of an old series? I just read the first few issues and its pretty epic,awesome action. The guy is more like Thor power level while in Iron Man type suit. I like the whole origin, the SF,historical part of the story. Shame Cary Nord left, his art was much better than the current guy.

Ironic is that i learned about Manowar only through the fact DC cancelled a classic Hellblazer and gave Vendetti Constantine DCU series. I learned Vendetti being the writer of XO Manowar some super soldier series some fan called it. DC made me look up Valiant comic heh! I will go cancel one of their comics from my pull list and add Manowar. Im sick Big two reboots,their fanboys readership dominated comics.
    Last edited by Libaax; 11-11-2012 at 04:00 PM.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

Quote Originally Posted by Libaax View Post
    Whats the history of XO Manowar? Its a remake of an old series? I just read the first few issues and its pretty epic,awesome action. The guy is more like Thor power level while in Iron Man type suit. I like the whole origin, the SF,historical part of the story. Shame Cary Nord left, his art was much better than the current guy.

Ironic is that i learned about Manowar only true that fact DC cancelled a classic Hellblazer and gave Vendetti Constantine DCU series. I learned Vendetti being the writer of XO Manowar some super soldier series some fan called it. DC made me look up Valiant comic heh! I will go cancel on of their comics from my pull list and add Manowar. Im sick Big two reboots,their fanboys readership dominated comics.
    Valiant started in the early 90s as a competitor to DC and Marvel led by former Marvel EiC Jim Shooter. XO Manowar was one of their first original characters (they had licensed Gold Key characters Magnus: Robot Fighter and Solar: Man of the Atom and produced those series first). The series was created by Barry Wndsor-Smith, Bob Layton and Shooter as a kind of 1 man Avengers (savage warrior, displaced in time, in advanced armor).

XO's origin was pretty similar, though we didn't get the full back story until later as the original 1st issue began with Aric on the Spider Alien (now known as the Vine) slave ship just as he finds the armor. If you get a chance to pick up the old trades, recent hardcovers, or the digital classics, I highly suggest them. And if you like XO, try Bloodshot (Sci fi/action/espionage) and the other titles (Harbinger is my favorite).