Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 231
  1. #121
    Senior Member Dark-Flux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,825

    Default

    Personally im probably currently around:

    25% DC
    15% Marvel (probably set to increase with Now!)
    35% Image
    15% Valiant
    10% other

    Will most likely pick up anything Valiant put out in future.

  2. #122
    Junior Member Hawkeyeps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manduck37 View Post
    I'm taking my first dive into Valiant's relaunch with X-O Manowar. I've been hearing nothing but great things about Valiant. Thanks to a Black Friday sale, I got to order all the issues of X-O. Now I'm eagerly awaiting their arrival. If I had more room in my budget, I'd check out more titles. Though if I enjoy Valiant's work as much as I've heard, I think my pull list may be changing. I'm getting a bit tired of the Big 2's superhero grind. The relaunches and retcons are starting to wear on me. Every time I've branched out into the independents, I've been rewarded for it. I'm hooked on The Walking Dead by Image and just started reading the trades for Locke & Key. Locke & Key is pretty awesome. So I look forward to reading Valiant again. It's been years since I read some of their work. I used to love Turok and some of their other titles. Man, those issues of X-O can't come fast enough.
    I hear what you're saying, I myself have been buying 25-30 Marvel titles a month since Civil War. I am an old time VALIANT fan from back in the day so I was all over the reboot and the more VALIANT got going the less interested I was in Marvel.

    Now with the NOW reboot I figured it was the perfect time to switch to trade waiting, I've been burned by titles I was committed to and turned out to be garbage (I'm looking at you Defenders, I was daft enough to hang around for 10 issues).

    The problem with VALIANT is it makes the other comics I buy seem infinetly lesser, getting new VALIANT is great reading them is a like a little ritual I can't wait to get too. The Marvel books just sit on my boxes waiting to be read when I get around to it, I still have DD 20 waiting, I know it's good but it just doesn't have the same weight as a VALIANT book.

    I think it's the concept of a tight cool universe that attracts me, it helps to suspend disbelief which greatly ups the enjoyment IMO. Marvel's Ultimate universe was like this until Jeph Loeb burned down the house and pissed on the remains. I'll never buy another Ultimate book again, ever.

    So far the new VALIANT has been stellar and I haven't been this excited about comics since the original Ultimates. Another nice thing is VALIANT gets it's books out on time, unlike Ultimates where you were waiting 4-5 months for the next issue.

    VALIANT is what I wish Marvel was.
    Last edited by Hawkeyeps; 11-24-2012 at 06:14 PM.

  3. #123
    Verily VALIANT! BugsySig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeyeps View Post
    I hear what you're saying, I myself have been buying 25-30 Marvel titles a month since Civil War. I am an old time VALIANT fan from back in the day so I was all over the reboot and the more VALIANT got going the less interested I was in Marvel.

    Now with the NOW reboot I figured it was the perfect time to switch to trade waiting, I've been burned by titles I was committed to and turned out to be garbage (I'm looking at you Defenders, I was daft enough to hang around for 10 issues).

    The problem with VALIANT is it makes the other comics I buy seem infinetly lesser, getting new VALIANT is great reading them is a like a little ritual I can't wait to get too. The Marvel books just sit on my boxes waiting to be read when I get around to it, I still have DD 20 waiting, I know it's good but it just doesn't have the same weight as a VALIANT book.

    I think it's the concept of a tight cool universe that attracts me, it helps to suspend disbelief which greatly ups the enjoyment IMO. Marvel's Ultimate universe was like this until Jeph Loeb burned down the house and pissed on the remains. I'll never buy another Ultimate book again, ever.

    So far the new VALIANT has been stellar and I haven't been this excited about comics since the original Ultimates. Another nice thing is VALIANT gets it's books out on time, unlike Ultimates where you were waiting 4-5 months for the next issue.

    VALIANT is what I wish Marvel was.
    I could not agree more with this post. It's like you are reading my mind and typing it into a message board...

    I often compare the new VALIANT to the Ultimate line (did it today actually while talking to a friend) which I was obsessed with between UXM and Ultimates. Then that went to crap and I turned to trade waiting a ton of post-Civil War Marvel books. When all of those were cancelled I jumped on a few New 52 books (The Widstorm and Paul Cornell books) only to be extremely disappointed there and dumped all but Demon Knights. When VALIANT returned full force I was all in and their consistent kickassitude has led me to disregard just about everything else I was reading.

    I was into the new Hawkeye series, but I hear Aja may be off the title already or rotating in, which lessens my interest there. Young Avengers, FF and Fearless Defenders have peaked my interest, but I may trade wait those once I have gone through a few issues worth of reviews. I too was duped by The Defenders, which irks me to no end as a life-long Defenders fan, so I am hesitant to invest in another Marvel series at this point.

    I will probably turn to the new Comics Greatest World books at Dark Horse before I investing anything into Marvel or DC at this point. Many newly announced titles at Dynamite are also higher on my list, and there are plenty of Image and IDW books worth a look at this pont.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

  4. #124
    Junior Member Hawkeyeps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BugsySig View Post
    I could not agree more with this post. It's like you are reading my mind and typing it into a message board...

    I often compare the new VALIANT to the Ultimate line (did it today actually while talking to a friend) which I was obsessed with between UXM and Ultimates. Then that went to crap and I turned to trade waiting a ton of post-Civil War Marvel books. When all of those were cancelled I jumped on a few New 52 books (The Widstorm and Paul Cornell books) only to be extremely disappointed there and dumped all but Demon Knights. When VALIANT returned full force I was all in and their consistent kickassitude has led me to disregard just about everything else I was reading.

    I was into the new Hawkeye series, but I hear Aja may be off the title already or rotating in, which lessens my interest there. Young Avengers, FF and Fearless Defenders have peaked my interest, but I may trade wait those once I have gone through a few issues worth of reviews. I too was duped by The Defenders, which irks me to no end as a life-long Defenders fan, so I am hesitant to invest in another Marvel series at this point.

    I will probably turn to the new Comics Greatest World books at Dark Horse before I investing anything into Marvel or DC at this point. Many newly announced titles at Dynamite are also higher on my list, and there are plenty of Image and IDW books worth a look at this pont.
    I'm a huge Defenders fan...these Defenders-

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Defenders.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	104769

  5. #125
    Verily VALIANT! BugsySig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeyeps View Post
    I'm a huge Defenders fan...these Defenders-

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Defenders.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	104769
    Word.

    I still don't understand why Marvel can't do a Defenders series justice? What do they say to themselves...?"Kick ass assemblage of superpowerful heroes? Nope, that's the Avengers and XMen, can't do that. Street level bad asses? Nope, that's H4H, can't do that. Cosmic level protectors? Nope, that's the FF and Guardians of the Galaxy, can't do that. Well I guess we'll just make them the slapstick comedy non-team...Nevermind that they have 50 years of history and some of the most powerful, intriguing and popular characters in our catalogue."

    End rant.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

  6. #126
    Junior Member Hawkeyeps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BugsySig View Post
    Word.

    I still don't understand why Marvel can't do a Defenders series justice? What do they say to themselves...?"Kick ass assemblage of superpowerful heroes? Nope, that's the Avengers and XMen, can't do that. Street level bad asses? Nope, that's H4H, can't do that. Cosmic level protectors? Nope, that's the FF and Guardians of the Galaxy, can't do that. Well I guess we'll just make them the slapstick comedy non-team...Nevermind that they have 50 years of history and some of the most powerful, intriguing and popular characters in our catalogue."

    End rant.
    Yes in deed, these Defenders would kick the S#!T out of any Avengers or X-Men team.

  7. #127
    NEW VALIANT blog is up! Manga4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,695

    Default


    The problem with VALIANT is it makes the other comics I buy seem infinetly lesser
    This is so true. Valiant's titles have been so stellar that reading other comics published by other companies (DC and Dynamite for me) seem so......."whatever", if everyone see's what I'm saying here. It's literally like sleeping with a perfect 10 and then coming home to your flawed 5 1/2 and trying to perform, it just ain't going to go well.

  8. #128
    pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    4,106

    Default

    so i'm 100% up to date on XO Manowar and Harbinger. Loving XO Manowar a lot and really enjoying Harbinger's story (though not a fan of the protagonists). Still got all 5 issues of Bloodshot and 4 A&A to read and Shadowman 1 and I'll be a Valiant (2012) master!

    Thanks for this thread guys. =D
    Comics were happier before the Internet turned writing superhero stories into fruitless attempts to impress/entertain a small group of ppl who appear to hate comics and their creators.
    Grant Morrison

  9. #129
    Senior Member rasx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,675

    Default

    Just thinking, what if the Bleeding Monk is Rai and Bloodshot will eventually use the goldies to cure his condition turning him into the new Rai? Also maybe the Vine has a time-machine that will take him to the future. The Vine can replace the Malevolence in a dark future.
    New Avengers*Unity* Shadowman* RAI* TRANSFORMERS* MILES MORALES

  10. #130
    Senior Member Captain Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,721

    Default

    Now there's a wee bit of an alternative bit of narrative to get Rai into play. Not sure I'd go for it but at face value I can appreciate the thought put into it.

    What I like though is the story telling they are doing doesn't rule something like this out though. It's got us all thinking a bit outside the box. The big reason we're reading VALIANT anyway.
    "Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient Beings" - Optimus Prime
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1

  11. #131

    Default

    Made me go back and buy every Valiant/Acclaim books as well as the Dark Horse line and some Gold Key titles. Can't wait to read them.

  12. #132
    Junior Member Hawkeyeps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    439

    Default

    I just read this over at Newsarama and it just reinforces what we're saying about Marvel-

    Fraction: Yeah. Defenders got cancelled by the time the first issue came out. The reality of things is that I wasn't expecting to write this much past #8.

    Nrama: Defenders was a somewhat similar case in that it was also you trying something different within your work at Marvel — is it gratifying to see Hawkeye embraced after that series ended?

    Fraction: It beats being kicked in the nuts, sure. Especially because there were no expectations for this. That's way better than the alternative.


    I wonder what else Marvel is putting out that is already cancelled?

  13. #133
    Verily VALIANT! BugsySig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeyeps View Post
    I just read this over at Newsarama and it just reinforces what we're saying about Marvel-

    Fraction: Yeah. Defenders got cancelled by the time the first issue came out. The reality of things is that I wasn't expecting to write this much past #8.

    Nrama: Defenders was a somewhat similar case in that it was also you trying something different within your work at Marvel — is it gratifying to see Hawkeye embraced after that series ended?

    Fraction: It beats being kicked in the nuts, sure. Especially because there were no expectations for this. That's way better than the alternative.


    I wonder what else Marvel is putting out that is already cancelled?
    That's how I, and many others, felt about a large group of New 52 books: OMAC, Grifter, Blackhawks, Voodoo, Deathstroke, Hawkman, Hawk and Dove, Blue Beetle, Captain Atom, and many others seemed to be "in danger" from the moment they were announced. Then Rob Leifeld was put on some of them, which is the equivalent of getting a second opinion from Dr. Kevorkian.

    At this point I can almost guarantee the only three Marvel Now books I am interested in--FF, Young Avengers and Fearless Defenders--will all be gone in a year or less. Like Fraction said, sometimes working with no expectations is best. Hawkeye is great because it is different from anything else Marvel puts out, but if it slips below a certain point, you know it's gone.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

  14. #134
    Junior Member Hawkeyeps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BugsySig View Post
    That's how I, and many others, felt about a large group of New 52 books: OMAC, Grifter, Blackhawks, Voodoo, Deathstroke, Hawkman, Hawk and Dove, Blue Beetle, Captain Atom, and many others seemed to be "in danger" from the moment they were announced. Then Rob Leifeld was put on some of them, which is the equivalent of getting a second opinion from Dr. Kevorkian.

    At this point I can almost guarantee the only three Marvel Now books I am interested in--FF, Young Avengers and Fearless Defenders--will all be gone in a year or less. Like Fraction said, sometimes working with no expectations is best. Hawkeye is great because it is different from anything else Marvel puts out, but if it slips below a certain point, you know it's gone.
    Exactly and this why VALIANT kills it, they're invested in their propeties and not chasing a quick buck. How are we as fans suppossed to invest in something when the creators give up on the book day one because they know it's doomed? I foolishly spent $40 and hung around for the first 10 issues of Defenders, this really damaged my relationship with Marvel.

    Rob Liefeld...Dear God, NOOOOOOOOOOO! The only thing that could be worse would be Loeb writting it, those two should do a book together just for the freak show effect of it. The worst writer teamed with the crappiest artist ever! It would be a must buy and serve you well when you need a little something extra to throw in to the fire on a cold night.

    That said I have my eye on FVL (not in good way) after this latest issue of A&A, some socks are in need of pulling up.

  15. #135
    Veteran Member JaggedFel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    9,509

    Default

    Don't think u can apply the business model of the Big 2 or even Image to Valiant.

    I do like Valiant taking things slowly and slowly building up to quality.
    Black History Month & 29 Days in February

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •