Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rasx View Post
    What if for Deathmate 2 it involves a crossover between Valiant/Dark Horse, would this be cool?
    X-O Manowar/Predator
    Harbinger/BPRD
    Bloodshot/X
    Shadowman/Ghost
    EW/Conan
    Shouldn't it be comics' Greatest World(Dark Horse's own superhero universe) vs Valiant univerese
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel Supreme View Post
    Archer & Armstrong: An immortal (Armstrong) and a gifted though misguided young man (Obadiah Archer) team up to fight against an ancient order called The Sect who are trying to reactivate an ancient artifact called The Boon, which gave Armstrong has immortality thousands of years ago but also caused a global cataclysm. There's a lot more to it than that, but I can't really comment without spoiling the story or how it progresses. In my opinion, this is the most mainstream title that Valiant has, but that's not a bad thing at all. On the contrary, this book blends humour with globetrotting action and adventure. Also, Archer & Armstrong #5 (out in December) will feature the first appearance in the Valiant Universe of one of its classic characters, The Fist and Steel himself, Gilad, the Eternal Warrior.

Harbinger: As BugsySig pointed out, when Valiant was first formed in the 90s, Shooter wanted to do things that he couldn't at Marvel. This goes back to the failed attempt at creating a secondary Marvel universe with the New Universe line of comics. One of the things that Shooter wanted to do with New Universe and with Valiant was to create a realistic superhero title, where the characters had powers that were conceivable within the laws of physics, and whose stories took place in the real world. The characters didn't act like they were in a comic book, but as real people do. The closest Marvel has ever come to replicating what Harbinger did in the 90s was with the Ultimate X-Men, and later with JMS' Supreme Power series. In spite of that, the modern incarnation of Harbinger is a much more radical reinterpretation of what the X-Men could be if they weren't property of Disney.

Tonally, Harbinger and Archer & Armstrong are the exact opposites of each-other, yet they are both integral titles to the overall Valiant Universe and definitely their first arcs should be considered required reading if you're interested in apprehending the "bigger picture" of the Valiant U as it develops.

For example, SPOILER ALERT in Archer & Armstrong #4 it is revealed that Archer was adopted by his parents from a military base in the Nevada desert, which for readers of Bloodshot, should be recognizable as the Project Rising Spirit facility, a facility which we know contains potentially dozens of kidnapped harbingers. In other words, Archer is a harbinger. END SPOILER
    alright, seems pretty good, I'll buy the first issues on comixology later today and then share my thoughts.

Rolling My Eyes At You mr_hyde2120's Avatar

PPl need to read Harbinger!!!!

So, after reading first issue of both Harbinger and Archer & Armstrong twice, I think that A&A was definitely the better one. It was funny and had good action with good art. Harbinger wasn't bad, but it failed to catch my interest.

I don't have that much room on my pull-list seeing how I'll start buying Dark horse presents soon and there's a new Star Wars series by Brian Wood in January, so Archer & Armstrong it is.

Just got Archer and Armstrong #4, loved it. Right now the only other Valiant book I am getting is Harbinger, though I may expand that to Bloodshot. Is it good as well?

Quote Originally Posted by TsaiMeLemoni View Post
    Just got Archer and Armstrong #4, loved it. Right now the only other Valiant book I am getting is Harbinger, though I may expand that to Bloodshot. Is it good as well?
    Each of the books have a very different flavour. I enjoy Bloodshot quite a bit, but it's not up to everyone's taste. If hardcore military sf with real-world political overtones and A LOT of extreme violence is your thing, you will dig it. Tonally, Bloodshot and Archer and Armstrong are like oil and water.
    X-O Manowar. Harbinger. Bloodshot. Archer & Armstrong. Swamp Thing. Dial H. Captain Marvel. Hit-Girl. Saga. Prophet. Read my reviews of these and more at The Comic Book Couple!

Quote Originally Posted by Blastermaster View Post
    So, after reading first issue of both Harbinger and Archer & Armstrong twice, I think that A&A was definitely the better one. It was funny and had good action with good art. Harbinger wasn't bad, but it failed to catch my interest.

I don't have that much room on my pull-list seeing how I'll start buying Dark horse presents soon and there's a new Star Wars series by Brian Wood in January, so Archer & Armstrong it is.
    Harbinger #1 is a slow-burn. The story picks up the pace considerably. There is a lot of character and world-building going on the first arc. Harbinger #5 is probably my single favorite issue of the entire Valiant relaunch so far.
    X-O Manowar. Harbinger. Bloodshot. Archer & Armstrong. Swamp Thing. Dial H. Captain Marvel. Hit-Girl. Saga. Prophet. Read my reviews of these and more at The Comic Book Couple!

Yeah, that's kind of what I've gotten from the preview pages, but it sounds like it's at least tangentially connected to the other two titles, and I just don't want to miss out on anything, even if it's just references lol.

I may just get the first issue and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by TsaiMeLemoni View Post
    Yeah, that's kind of what I've gotten from the preview pages, but it sounds like it's at least tangentially connected to the other two titles, and I just don't want to miss out on anything, even if it's just references lol.

I may just get the first issue and go from there.
    At this point, Bloodshot is most connected to Harbinger. Project Rising Spirit, the secret government organization that created Bloodshot, made their first appearance in Harbinger #2. Also, Valiant's future solicits seem to indicate that Bloodshot was formerly a "Harbinger hunter." In Archer & Armstrong #4 SPOILERS there is a pretty good indication that Archer is a harbinger, who was adopted from Project Rising Spirit's secret Nevada facility, referenced in the first arc of Bloodshot End Spoilers.

You definitely don't need to follow all of the books to get the complete story, but the connections between the titles and Easter eggs left throughout them really enhance the reading experience. Being such a small company, you can tell that Valiant's books really take place in a shared universe and that the company cares about this aspect of their franchises.

3 Awesome books

Anyone Know when they're planning a company wide cross-over?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_hyde2120 View Post
    Anyone Know when they're planning a company wide cross-over?
    Next summer would be the earliest, but I wouldn't expect one until the following year (2014), unless they buck the "Summer Event" trend and do it in the fall/winter of 2013.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by BugsySig View Post
    Next summer would be the earliest, but I wouldn't expect one until the following year (2014), unless they buck the "Summer Event" trend and do it in the fall/winter of 2013.
    I'd Like to see like a 4 to 6 Issue mini, written by ONE writer. With tie-Ins that compliment the main story. Valiant hasn't let me down yet. I'm betting that their first go at a big event will be a home run.

Looks like it's going to be this summer.

Planet Death is the crossover event. Maybe it's where RAI will debut?
    "Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient Beings" - Optimus Prime
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post

I doubt that, Rai will most likely appear in Bloodshot first.
    Unity 2013, would be real nice.
    New Avengers*Unity* Shadowman* RAI* TRANSFORMERS* MILES MORALES

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post

Even though they are calling it an "Event" it is only taking place in the one title. Reverberations from it will be felt in the other books, but I wouldn't call it company-wide.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.