Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Gambit, #4

Gambit and his partner in crime take on godlike creatures as their adventure comes to a close in "Gambit" #4 by James Asmus and Clay Mann.

Full review here.

This book is a pleasant surprise.

- Gambit going back to thievery after getting some decent character growth in "X-23" and "Legacy" seemed like back tracking, but James Asmus made it work in a way that's believable to the character
    - Clay Mann draws the absolute best Gambit in recent history
    - Straight forward adventure arc in just 4 issues, not the current standard 5 or 6+, Thank God. Nothing heavy or heady, just fun.
    - References to the X-Men just enough to let us know Gambit's still with them, but no appearances from them helps to strengthen this book
    - No Rogue! Never thought I'd be a fan of Rogue not being with Gambit, but he benefits from it. Looking forward to Joelle's development. Hopefully she'll become complex without becoming a major head-case like Rogue...I do like Rogue, she just doesn't need to be here.

This book has been pretty enjoyable so far. It still feels like it needs to build to something though.

I . . . agree with Kelly Thompson? What is happening? I've loved the first arc and thought it was a good start for rebuilding Gambit, but it does need to find its x-factor in the next one.

I still don't know why they give her this book to review. That aside. We've had one arc. ONE. The X-Factor as it were in the form of Pete Wisdom is coming. And from what I've read - quite a few don't want too many Xmen in his book. Guess the line is fine, a few here or there. As long as the adventure is good, I'm good.