Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324 LastLast
Results 301 to 315 of 355
  1. #301
    Senior Member tylenoljones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LEADER DESSLOK View Post
    Thank you for saying the obvious. No matter how Marvel fans try to spin it--Four dollars for LESS pages is still paying more for less no matter what the "content" on the page. Compared to the old EC Comics or even older MARVEL comics from the 80s there was considerably more "content" back then than what we're getting from the House of Ideas these days. Many of today's writers don't use captions and generally, you can read a modern AMZSM in half the time you would take to read a "chapter" (issue) within, let's say ESSENTIAL SPIDER-MAN Vols. 1-6.
    Fair criticism, but one that can just as well be directed at DC. And pretty much all comics nowadays have LESS (caps for emphasis) pages than comics from the 60's.

  2. #302
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    I think they're getting paid a ton more than the average comic writer/inker/penciller. But I also think they can afford to sell their product for much cheaper because their product sells many times what even a 'good' selling comic sells.


    As someone who works in the recording industry, unless you're at the absolute top studios working for the absolute top acts,
    NO ONE IS MAKING A "TON" OF MONEY.
    I know no one who doesn't have a second job to make ends meet.
    Any other theories?

  3. #303
    ... with the High Command Lemurion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wentworth Hall, Tellus
    Posts
    2,433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonah warlord View Post
    As someone who works in the recording industry, unless you're at the absolute top studios working for the absolute top acts,
    NO ONE IS MAKING A "TON" OF MONEY.
    I know no one who doesn't have a second job to make ends meet.
    Any other theories?
    While I would not disagree with you on the point that the vast majority of people working in the recording industry do not make a "ton" of money; I do think the basics of the theory are correct. One reason why music downloads are cheaper than digital comics is because the sales are higher so they have a reasonable hope of amortizing the cost of production over more copies. It also doesn't hurt, though, that the music equivalent of print comics (CDs) are more like TPBs and have a much higher ASP than comics, as well as the broader customer base.
    Anyone who thinks DC is bringing back the Silver Age doesn't know what the Silver Age is.

    There is no such word as "persay," it's per se, two words, from the Latin.

  4. #304
    ... with the High Command Lemurion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wentworth Hall, Tellus
    Posts
    2,433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tylenoljones View Post
    Fair criticism, but one that can just as well be directed at DC. And pretty much all comics nowadays have FEWER (caps for emphasis) pages than comics from the 60's.
    Sorry, mistaking count nouns for mass nouns is a pet peeve.

    But the point you are making is valid.
    Anyone who thinks DC is bringing back the Silver Age doesn't know what the Silver Age is.

    There is no such word as "persay," it's per se, two words, from the Latin.

  5. #305
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,010

    Default

    I actually like Marvel more than DC. Their characters are more gritty and hardcore. They also seem to have a more cohesive universe although DC seems to be trying that now. I also like the fact that they didn't feel the need to reboot their universe almost completely for no reason and keep some timelines almost in tact no matter how improbable it may be. Marvel characters also seem to evolve. Superman is still the pure and righteous character he's always been while a guy like Captain America has changed from the guy that's so steadfast on his morals of not killing and standing for some superficial idea of what the country stands for to interpreting for himself what it means. I just like that Marvel is more of a universe imo. Even more after AvX and they didn't have to needlessly/pointlessly reboot for that to happen

  6. #306
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dripper View Post
    As said, most of the times it was more the story going to Gotham than to Batman (like JLD). Once it is in Gotham, Batman has a say in it.
    Wolverine just shows up in places where it makes absolutely no sense for him to be in.
    Why does it make no sense? Because in another book he's somewhere else? Do you forget that not all these stories don't happen at the same time? Or that we only see a small portion of these characters lives?

  7. #307
    Junior Member mrterrific9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    226

    Default

    I don't gravitate to the marvel universe because of various reasons:
    Economic
    (1) Pricing
    (2) bi-monthly
    (3) Too many events (money)
    Aesthetic Dispositions
    (4) Editorial focused- not all of them
    (5) Overload of team books (I prefer one character)
    (6a) Characters are driven to be "relatable", or, in other words, d-bags(I like them godly)
    (6b) Hard to tell who is an actually a ''villain'' and ''hero'' in the Marvel U except by the title we associate with them, i.e. "Iron Man is a good guy"- relate to 5a
    (6c) Drama, drama, drama...
    (7)Too many garsh darn characters. Everyone and their moms have powers
    Personal experience
    (9) Civil War was real let down
    (9) Bendis- New Avengers was the worse
    (10) OMD


    I still think Marvel has a lot more quality writers than dc- Waid, Rucka, Aaron, Remender, Brubaker, and Hickman, too name a few-, but I just can't get passed the bi-monthly's and 3.99 pricing.
    Last edited by mrterrific9; 11-04-2012 at 07:30 PM.

  8. #308
    Senior Member LEADER DESSLOK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    BOSTON
    Posts
    3,446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    Which isn't going to happen anytime soon, thankfully. Digital comics sell only a fraction of what paper copies sell. And if they ever went digital only, many readers would give up on the hobby.It's because comics are more of a niche interest. Simple.
    Digital Comics are NEVER going to gain parity with MP3s as long as we are just "renting" or gaining the "right-to-read" for FOUR DOLLARS! With I-Tunes, you are buying a song, just like our parents bought 45s. It didn't mean that they wouldn't then go on to buy the album. The 45 was a sample of what you could expect from a band or performer you might like. If you only wanted that song, your journey was done. But if you wanted more--you bought the album.

    I would never give up my hobby of collecting comics because I am not really collecting contemporary comics for the sake of "value"--given the way of the Direct Market, I know there is none, really. I only buy present day books for the sheer entertainment of them because I am not impressed with most of the T.V. shows on the air.

    I like to read, so sue me, but I also like variety. Digital Comics are intriguing to me for the reason I mentioned, it's a sample--but more importantly, one that doesn't take up a lot of space.And the purchase of it, would not exclude the possible purchase of a TRDPBK later--if anything, it would make it more likely.

    I could see myself spending 3-4 dollars for a Digital Comic, if it was mine to keep. No problem. But if I'm shelling out that kind of dough and I am only "renting" it--no freakin' way. It's better to keep doing what I'm doing now.
    FAV Comics: Lil' ABNER, DICK TRACY, BATMAN, UNCLE SCROOGE, KAMUI, TOMB OF DRACULA, THE MIGHTY THOR by LEE\KIRBY, WONDER WOMAN by PEREZ\KAREN BERGER, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 1-206 and EC COMICS!

  9. #309
    pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    4,106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrterrific9 View Post
    I don't gravitate to the marvel universe because of various reasons:
    Economic
    (1) Pricing
    (2) bi-monthly
    (3) Too many events (money)
    Aesthetic Dispositions
    (4) Editorial focused- not all of them
    (5) Overload of team books (I prefer one character)
    (6a) Characters are driven to be "relatable", or, in other words, d-bags(I like them godly)
    (6b) Hard to tell who is an actually a ''villain'' and ''hero'' in the Marvel U except by the title we associate with them, i.e. "Iron Man is a good guy"- relate to 5a
    (6c) Drama, drama, drama...
    (7)Too many garsh darn characters. Everyone and their moms have powers
    Personal experience
    (9) Civil War was real let down
    (9) Bendis- New Avengers was the worse
    (10) OMD


    I still think Marvel has a lot more quality writers than dc- Waid, Rucka, Aaron, Remender, Brubaker, and Hickman, too name a few-, but I just can't get passed the bi-monthly's and 3.99 pricing.
    1, 2, 3, 9, 10 are so spot on for me. The entire economic category being the biggest one.

    edit:
    Oh and also spot on about the writing depth Marvel has over DC. It's quite disappointing actually - I was just thinking how it's cool that Marvel can do something like NOW! and swap a handful of writers to different franchises. Gillen goes from X-franchise to Iron Man. Hickman goes from FF to Avengers. Bendis goes from Avengers to X-franchise (though I don't consider him anywhere near my faves). Fraction goes from Iron Man to FF. etc etc. DC can't do that, imo. I mean, they can, but the extension of franchises and top writers to control the direction of those franchises is limited. Rather than Marvel's 6 or 7 multi-title franchises being manned by 7 or 8 big writers, DC would just have, what, 3 or 4 multi-title franchises? And just 3 or 4 top writers? 1 of which (Morrison) they can't control.

    Though perhaps that goes w/ the editorial driven thing you dislike. I don't dislike it as much. =D
    Last edited by Dr. Cheesesteak; 11-04-2012 at 09:49 PM.
    Comics were happier before the Internet turned writing superhero stories into fruitless attempts to impress/entertain a small group of ppl who appear to hate comics and their creators.
    Grant Morrison

  10. #310
    Elder Member whiteshark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    13,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher-Z View Post
    "Scarlet Spider - All the power, none of the responsibility"

    Punisher in space, just the Punisher, in space killing people.

    The Punisher kills MU
    Deadpool kills MU

    So much focus on petty killing, like who does that appeal to. Its so immature or primitive in thinking. Titles like X-Men where the heroes kill, justified killing, killing being found cool. Its just so baseless. Shame so many people eat up that garbage.

    I'm not against killing happening in the story, or a character getting angry and doing, or w/e. But I sure as hell aint going to read a story where "its cool to kill" or stories where the writer clearly thinks its just to kill for w/e circumstance. And all the angst focused characters. Like Hulk being a double personality, and after ALL this time still havent gotten over it. Muties still whining and playing victim mentality, heroes fighting heroes more than villains.

    Its petty. And lacks any depth, thats why Marvel appeals more to the general crowd, it takes no thought to like those things. Where as DC has more well thought out storys that insnt solely focused on "Haha, killing is cool" or "I'm always screwed in life". Thats why DC is just "so boring" and Superman is a "loser and a sissy", as the average person would say without reading any of his stories.

    DC heroes have a code and their characters. Villains are villains and heroes are heroes. Its not a free for all of killing and chaos with no clear message to appeal to the basic primitive emotions.

    Even though DC has taken a plunge with the DCNU to get more audiences, its still better than Marvel.
    Out of these 4 examples that you gave (Scarlet Spider,Punisher in Space,Punisher kills MU,and Deadpool kills MU),three of those stories are not even part of the regular Marvel Universe continuity.
    Punisher in Space was a idea pitched by Frank Tieri which happens in a alternative universe,basically a Flash Gordon story of Punisher.
    Deadpool kills MU was this year Halloween story of Marvel,each year by Halloween Marvel does horror stories to celebrate that date,last year was a limited series of the Legion of the Monsters.
    Punisher Kills MU was a limited series published quite many years ago,and is basically a What If story.

    And the point of Scarlet Spider is to be as a character that is the oposite of Spider-Man (Thus that catchphrase you mention)
    So those examples you gave are not very fair to estabilishing how is the quality of the stories in the regular Marvel Universe.
    For that i would say the examples of Amazing Spider-Man by Dan Slott,Daredevil by Mark Waid,Captain America by Brubacker,Fantastic Four by Hickman and Uncanny X-Men by Gillen.

    And dunno where comes all this that DC characters are more heroes that Marvel.
    Because Marvel heroes save the world just as DC characters.
    And that hero vs hero stories are just one of the many reasons why the marvel universe is cool,and thats something that have been in the stories since the 40s!



    This brand loyalty ignores that both comic book companies make both great and terrible stories,one just buying comics from one comic book company is just a way as one comic book reader is missing great stories whch are published by the other comic book company.
    Pull List:New Avengers,Thor,Superior Spider-Man,Mighty Avengers,Swamp Thing,Daredevil,Uncanny Avengers,Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

  11. #311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joemagnum611 View Post
    I actually like Marvel more than DC. Their characters are more gritty and hardcore. They also seem to have a more cohesive universe although DC seems to be trying that now. I also like the fact that they didn't feel the need to reboot their universe almost completely for no reason and keep some timelines almost in tact no matter how improbable it may be. Marvel characters also seem to evolve. Superman is still the pure and righteous character he's always been while a guy like Captain America has changed from the guy that's so steadfast on his morals of not killing and standing for some superficial idea of what the country stands for to interpreting for himself what it means. I just like that Marvel is more of a universe imo. Even more after AvX and they didn't have to needlessly/pointlessly reboot for that to happen
    There's been notable change and growth between the Superman of five years ago and current day Superman. I'm not even sure if that applied to Superman before the reboot either.

  12. #312
    evil maybe, genius no stk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6,664

    Default

    Golden Age Marvel kicks ass.

  13. #313
    THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    5,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LEADER DESSLOK View Post
    Digital Comics are NEVER going to gain parity with MP3s as long as we are just "renting" or gaining the "right-to-read" for FOUR DOLLARS! With I-Tunes, you are buying a song, just like our parents bought 45s. It didn't mean that they wouldn't then go on to buy the album. The 45 was a sample of what you could expect from a band or performer you might like. If you only wanted that song, your journey was done. But if you wanted more--you bought the album.

    I would never give up my hobby of collecting comics because I am not really collecting contemporary comics for the sake of "value"--given the way of the Direct Market, I know there is none, really. I only buy present day books for the sheer entertainment of them because I am not impressed with most of the T.V. shows on the air.

    I like to read, so sue me, but I also like variety. Digital Comics are intriguing to me for the reason I mentioned, it's a sample--but more importantly, one that doesn't take up a lot of space.And the purchase of it, would not exclude the possible purchase of a TRDPBK later--if anything, it would make it more likely.

    I could see myself spending 3-4 dollars for a Digital Comic, if it was mine to keep. No problem. But if I'm shelling out that kind of dough and I am only "renting" it--no freakin' way. It's better to keep doing what I'm doing now.
    Once you pay for your digital comic and download it to your device, it's yours forever.

    You can read it anytime you want with or without an internet connection.

    I know this because I have an Ipad and buy almost all my comics via comixology.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

  14. #314
    Junior Member ragalang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by USERNAME TAKEN View Post
    Once you pay for your digital comic and download it to your device, it's yours forever.
    comiXology Terms of use: http://www.comixology.com/terms

    section 6.

    Digital Content is licensed, not sold, to you by comiXology. ComiXology reserves the right to revoke your license to Digital Content at any time for any reason
    Last edited by ragalang; 11-05-2012 at 02:45 AM.

  15. #315
    THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    5,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ragalang View Post
    comiXology Terms of use: http://www.comixology.com/terms

    section 6.

    Digital Content is licensed, not sold, to you by comiXology. ComiXology reserves the right to revoke your license to Digital Content at any time for any reason
    I've actually read the terms and conditions. You obviously can't re-sell or share the material.

    However, once you have the app on your device, the comics are stored there and you can view them offline.

    Unless for some reason you delete the app and then comixology lock it.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •