Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 81
  1. #46
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rogerio View Post
    Thanks. It looks like a straight-re-telling of the corresponding scene from Kirby's New Gods - was it?

  2. #47
    Wallace Likes It That Way Deus ex Chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    11,377

    Default

    Hickman's a good place to start. Aside from being perfectly suited, he also wants to do it.

  3. #48
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deus ex Chris View Post
    Hickman's a good place to start. Aside from being perfectly suited, he also wants to do it.
    Really - has he said as much? I don't think he'd be right for it at all, judging from what I saw of his use of the Celestials in his FF.

  4. #49
    Gamebreaker Wellman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by berk View Post
    Really - has he said as much? I don't think he'd be right for it at all, judging from what I saw of his use of the Celestials in his FF.
    The Celestials in F4/FF were meant to be the big near unbeatable threat due to being driven mad because of the Council of Reeds. If Hickman wanted to, I am sure he could work within the frame work of the Eternals story to craft a interesting story.

    I just don't think between his biweekly Avengers book and New Avengers he will have the time or energy to do the necessary world building.

  5. #50
    Wallace Likes It That Way Deus ex Chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    11,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by berk View Post
    Really - has he said as much? I don't think he'd be right for it at all, judging from what I saw of his use of the Celestials in his FF.
    If you don't think he's suitable for a book about science meeting the divine and secret caretakers of progress, I definitely recommend reading SHIELD and Manhattan Projects. Both are fantastic. Nobody's doing what he does as well as he's doing what he does. He's perfect for this, and yeah, he's mentioned having an Eternals story that he'd eventually like to tell.
    Last edited by Deus ex Chris; 11-03-2012 at 04:48 PM.

  6. #51
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wellman View Post
    The Celestials in F4/FF were meant to be the big near unbeatable threat due to being driven mad because of the Council of Reeds. If Hickman wanted to, I am sure he could work within the frame work of the Eternals story to craft a interesting story.

    I just don't think between his biweekly Avengers book and New Avengers he will have the time or energy to do the necessary world building.

    If you don't think he's suitable for a book about science meeting the divine and secret caretakers of progress, I definitely recommend reading SHIELD and Manhattan Projects. Both are fantastic. Nobody's doing what he does as well as he's doing what he does. He's perfect for this, and yeah, he's mentioned having an Eternals story that he'd eventually like to tell.
    It's exactly because "The Celestials in F4/FF were meant to be the big near unbeatable threat due to being driven mad because of the Council of Reeds" that tells me he's the wrong guy to do an Eternals story. He thinks they're Galactus, while the role they play in the Eternals is entirely different from that played by Galactus in the MU. Hickman seems to be interested in how the human spirit, as represented by the hero, rises to the occasion and overcomes these "near unbeatable threats." That's not what the Eternals are about at all and I wouldn't want to read a story that embodies that misreading.

  7. #52
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by berk View Post
    It's exactly because "The Celestials in F4/FF were meant to be the big near unbeatable threat due to being driven mad because of the Council of Reeds" that tells me he's the wrong guy to do an Eternals story. He thinks they're Galactus, while the role they play in the Eternals is entirely different from that played by Galactus in the MU. Hickman seems to be interested in how the human spirit, as represented by the hero, rises to the occasion and overcomes these "near unbeatable threats." That's not what the Eternals are about at all and I wouldn't want to read a story that embodies that misreading.
    To be fair they weren't the 616 Celestials just alternate versions. Wheres this whole The Council of Reeds making these Celestials insane I presumed they were driven insane by the Celestial from SHIELD.

  8. #53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by berk View Post
    Thanks. It looks like a straight-re-telling of the corresponding scene from Kirby's New Gods - was it?
    Yes, it's a direct - and frankly lackluster - retelling.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

    http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

  9. #54
    Star Blazer Will.S's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    21,912

    Default

    I don't think it's impossible to make the Eternals in the 616 universe fully work but as berk has been stating for a while now there certainly are problems in keeping them there because their role is kind of filled out by either the Avengers or Defenders.

    You'd have to dramatically increase the scope to the point in which it overshadows even the Avengers and the Eternals can take a more front and center approach to the threats whether it be in conjunction with the Avengers or having the Avengers defer to them kind of similar to the original Guardians of the Galaxy. There's certainly merit to Expletive's suggestion of just proliferating them and integrating them more into the Avengers books or the MU in general with perhaps them meeting only when something in dire need of the Uni-Mind is necessary.

    There's also the possibility that the Eternals just doesn't lend itself all that well to an ongoing since coming up with world ending threats in every arc can be a bit much to throw out there unless you counter that with something more in depth like living the life of an immortal, what their world view is, and exploring other cerebral avenues that don't involve just punching/laser blasting stuff.

  10. #55
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    169

    Default

    Gaiman. He understood the characters. Loved the mini.
    Hawkeye, X-Men Legacy, FF, Animal Man, Wonder Woman, Manhattan Projects, Fatale, East of West, Bedlam, Saga, Bandette, Nowhere Men

  11. #56
    Gamebreaker Wellman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Will.S View Post
    I don't think it's impossible to make the Eternals in the 616 universe fully work but as berk has been stating for a while now there certainly are problems in keeping them there because their role is kind of filled out by either the Avengers or Defenders.

    You'd have to dramatically increase the scope to the point in which it overshadows even the Avengers and the Eternals can take a more front and center approach to the threats whether it be in conjunction with the Avengers or having the Avengers defer to them kind of similar to the original Guardians of the Galaxy. There's certainly merit to Expletive's suggestion of just proliferating them and integrating them more into the Avengers books or the MU in general with perhaps them meeting only when something in dire need of the Uni-Mind is necessary.

    There's also the possibility that the Eternals just doesn't lend itself all that well to an ongoing since coming up with world ending threats in every arc can be a bit much to throw out there unless you counter that with something more in depth like living the life of an immortal, what their world view is, and exploring other cerebral avenues that don't involve just punching/laser blasting stuff.
    I don't think you have to have them be BIGGER then the Avengers in being the front line of major threats, if anything I think to make the Eternals viable as a concept you'd have to put them in a different area of expertise such as facing threats that your normal Avengers squad wouldn't even know about or have them in a legitimate global-political capacity that most Avengers stories usually steer clear of. Blockbuster action and explosions can still be a part of the book but if the Eternals is to survive as a separate concept and not just another type of sub species you have to push the idea of it being something different from your standard story that could be Avengers or X-Men stories.

  12. #57
    Veteran Member Hypestyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    5,690

    Default

    have a new mini set in its own continuity, without Marvel-proper heroic history..

  13. #58
    Senior Member EXCELSIOR 2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    1,826

    Default

    I was just about to make an Eternals thread before I saw this one! I was re-reading Uncanny X-Men actually, with the dreaming Celestial & Sinister and all that, and thought how the Eternals wouldn't be too keen on all this. With that said, I realized I was thinking about the Eternals. Mostly Sersi but w/e. What are they up to currently? I'm pretty sure that last time I saw an Eternal was a pissed Sersi that Jessica Jones tried to stick her dumpy child on. I kinda mix Starfox too, that little rascal. All this Thanos business & no Fox in sight?

  14. #59
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
    Gaiman. He understood the characters. Loved the mini.
    People say that, but I don't see it. Having the Celestial talk, Sersi being impressed by Iron Man's wealth, making Makarri replace Ajak as the Eternals' Celestial contact ... all this shows a lack of understanding of the characters, in my view; a by-the-numbers approach (e.g. Makkarri replacing Ajak presumably because Mercury's the god of communication, among other things) that makes me wonder if Gaiman was ever really that interested in the project. I think he was always more attracted to the MU than to the Eternals, which doesn't exactly make him a good choice for an Eternals series.

    Of course, I imagine it wouldn't be easy to find a comics writer who WASN'T more interested in the MU than in the Eternals ... which doesn't say much for comics writers, IMO.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wellman View Post
    I don't think you have to have them be BIGGER then the Avengers in being the front line of major threats, if anything I think to make the Eternals viable as a concept you'd have to put them in a different area of expertise such as facing threats that your normal Avengers squad wouldn't even know about or have them in a legitimate global-political capacity that most Avengers stories usually steer clear of. Blockbuster action and explosions can still be a part of the book but if the Eternals is to survive as a separate concept and not just another type of sub species you have to push the idea of it being something different from your standard story that could be Avengers or X-Men stories.
    This highlights one of the problems with placing them in the MU: what's the point of them? It would be tough to come up with something that isn't or couldn't be covered by one of the numerous super-teams already out there. And I suspect that even if some writer did come up with some unique niche for them, it would soon be taken over by a more popular franchise, like one of the many Avengers or X-Men teams.

    There really is no up-side to forcing the Eternals into the MU.

  15. #60
    Gamebreaker Wellman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EXCELSIOR 2.0 View Post
    I was just about to make an Eternals thread before I saw this one! I was re-reading Uncanny X-Men actually, with the dreaming Celestial & Sinister and all that, and thought how the Eternals wouldn't be too keen on all this. With that said, I realized I was thinking about the Eternals. Mostly Sersi but w/e. What are they up to currently? I'm pretty sure that last time I saw an Eternal was a pissed Sersi that Jessica Jones tried to stick her dumpy child on. I kinda mix Starfox too, that little rascal. All this Thanos business & no Fox in sight?
    Last legit Eternals appearance that I know of was in a issue of Parker's Hulk, Ikaris had a fight scene with Red Hulk in the middle of a erupting volcano, while the rest were discussing how current heroes could be considered gods.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •