Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by wyokid View Post
    I want the time I wasted seeing this movie back, why the hell do you thin I would bother with the deleted scenes? God, it's like you guys don't even think about me when you make posts :P
    Honestly, what's the problem you have this film? Can you be constructive and tell us why it was an absolute atrocity to you. I loved the film for what it was, a retelling of a popular character. The first movie would've done a much better job at fully conveying that message if the scenes were in it but it was still good nevertheless. Andrew looks like Peter Parker WOULD. Stan Lee even said so. And if you don't think Stan Lee has the right judgement...well you are pretty far gone into Miles Morales territory and shouldn't have watched this fantastic Spider-Man movie.
    "Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"With great power comes great responsibility."

Post Editing OCD Confuzzled Mutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by President Kang View Post
    Hell, it was still in the ads! When the movie came out! I know cuz there's that quick shot of Gwen turning and smiling at Pete afterwards (trust me, I can mentally catalog stuff of when Emma Stone is on screen in any medium) which isn't in the flick. Surprised it's not in the deleted scenes but I betcha it was literally maybe a few seconds shorter than what is already a 2-second tag in the ads. And, to be honest, it's actually kinda funnier in the movie when Pete bends the football goalposts and they just cut to their mouths agape and leave the scene.
    Quote Originally Posted by linkspirit97 View Post
    God, that smile is hot.
    YES, THIS! The first time I had seen that smile, I was like, damn is Emma getting wasted in this franchise as Gwen! Imagine if she had been cast as MJ, and when Peter first sees her and stammers, "Y-You... You're Mary Jane?!" and Emma cast that smile before uttering the "Face it, Tiger" line. *SIGH*

Regarding the deleted scenes featured here, I agree with stillanerd's analysis of each one of them. The biggest mistake was leaving out the "We can be greater than what we suffer!" scene.

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darman456 View Post
    Honestly, what's the problem you have this film? Can you be constructive and tell us why it was an absolute atrocity to you. I loved the film for what it was, a retelling of a popular character. The first movie would've done a much better job at fully conveying that message if the scenes were in it but it was still good nevertheless. Andrew looks like Peter Parker WOULD. Stan Lee even said so. And if you don't think Stan Lee has the right judgement...well you are pretty far gone into Miles Morales territory and shouldn't have watched this fantastic Spider-Man movie.
    My (old) review of the film

The Amazing Spider-Man is a film that highlights the absolute worst of Hollywood. It was made with zero passion to storytelling and made with absolutely no respect to the source material but instead passion for marketing and to make the Twilight and Christopher Nolan's Batman money by emulating and, sometimes, directly copying them. It's a shame because the cast is the best of all four films with Rhys Ifans stealing the show up until his change into the Lizard, but the plot is weak, the villain is shoddily put together, the characters are two dimensional, poorly rendered CGI, plots end with no sense of closure but rather just stop, poor storytelling, and, worst of all, the titular character is the most unlikable person in the movie all water down what could have been a potentially the best Spider-Man film into a bad Batman Begins, Twilight, and, more than likely, corporate mess. Hopefully the sequel will fair better because this was everything but "amazing".
    Andrew doesn't look like Peter and neither did Tobey.

As much of a fan of Stan Lee I am, I do realize that I don't have to follow his every word as the truth.

Sits on the shelf! President Kang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled Mutie View Post
    YES, THIS! The first time I had seen that smile, I was like, damn is Emma getting wasted in this franchise as Gwen! Imagine if she had been cast as MJ, and when Peter first sees her and stammers, "Y-You... You're Mary Jane?!" and Emma cast that smile before uttering the "Face it, Tiger" line. *SIGH*
    Honestly, I think she's a great actress and coulda played anything. Gwen. MJ. Swiss Miss. Demogoblin. Whatever. I do think I'm more partial to her as Gwen now just cuz A) they nailed the look B) her inevitable bridge-tossing will have a lot more impact since she's the one playing Gwen. Like, in some alt-universe where the Raimi-series kept going, Bryce Dallas Howard gets tossed off the bridge to her death and I'd at most shrug. This universe, if/when it happens to Emma Stone, I'm gonna cry like a 5 year old with a skinned knee.

hopefully an extended version will come out, next year around this time.

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by President Kang View Post
    Honestly, I think she's a great actress and coulda played anything. Gwen. MJ. Swiss Miss. Demogoblin. Whatever. I do think I'm more partial to her as Gwen now just cuz A) they nailed the look B) her inevitable bridge-tossing will have a lot more impact since she's the one playing Gwen. Like, in some alt-universe where the Raimi-series kept going, Bryce Dallas Howard gets tossed off the bridge to her death and I'd at most shrug. This universe, if/when it happens to Emma Stone, I'm gonna cry like a 5 year old with a skinned knee.
    I'm going to laugh and laugh when she dies.

I'm going to laugh and laugh when she dies.
    I'm going to laugh and laugh when I'm an unstable man too.

Elder Member

I'm going to laugh and laugh when I'm an unstable man too.
    Dude, I cannot stand Emma Stone. She plays the same character in every movie and Gwen Stacy was a terrible character in the film.

My (old) review of the film

Andrew doesn't look like Peter and neither did Tobey.

As much of a fan of Stan Lee I am, I do realize that I don't have to follow his every word as the truth.
    Regarding your old review, you obviously have lost sight of what Spider-Man is. He had teen angst, crushes and multiple love interests since his introduction in the 60s. More that forty years before Twilight. If anything, the movie drew from comic lire more than anything else. And Spider-Man, ever since the 70s has had a pretty serious and dark undertone. However, Spidey has always kept his cool (except for a few temper outs spouts). Sure, maybe the '70s era Spidey drew from Batman but that just shows that this film was still drawing from original source material. There are always going to be similarities in superhero movies (hell, even action movies) but each movie is different and if these scenes had been in the film, the bow would've been tied on the present instead of sloppily thrown on the last minute.

Dude, I cannot stand Emma Stone. She plays the same character in every movie and Gwen Stacy was a terrible character in the film.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion. I just think laughing at someone's death (albeit fictional) in a movie theatre paints you as a sort of...sadistic figure? Just pointing that out. But, no, that wasn't really an insult. Just a sarcastic way to point out something odd that I gathered from the statement.

Elder Member

Everyone's entitled to an opinion. I just think laughing at someone's death (albeit fictional) in a movie theatre paints you as a sort of...sadistic figure? Just pointing that out. But, no, that wasn't really an insult. Just a sarcastic way to point out something odd that I gathered from the statement.
    You've clearly never seen Tucker and Dale vs Evil. I DARE YOU not to laugh at those deaths.

As for Gwen as a character is terrible. I wrote this back when the film came out as well.

A lot of praise has been given to Gwen's characterization and how she was the "perfect girlfriend" (which I feel like is an insult to Mary Jane) for Peter...why though? Because she's shown as such. She has ZERO flaws, she's patient, understanding, sweet, adores Peter no matter what, she's never wrong, doesn't lose her cool, she has no conflicts, and has no goals other then being Peter's girlfriend. She's given basically no character development, we know next to nothing about her. She falls in love with Peter but we never actually know why. She's just completely fallen head-over-heels for him for no reason whatsoever. Sure she sees him stand up for someone but that's it. It's the same kind of non-realistic romance Twilight is criticized so harshly for. We learn a lot about Peter, but what do we know about Gwen though? We know that her father going out at night worries her, but that's as far as our look on how her relationship with George goes. When George dies Gwen is nowhere to be seen. The film builds George's relationship with Peter more then his own child. George tells Peter to stay away from Gwen yet Gwen is never given the chance to voice how she feels and how she can make her own choices in life. We know she likes science, but as the film shows she's only Connors intern to be there to flirt with Peter. What are her goals? Does she want to be a scientist? A doctor? A nurse? Why is she there? It's never told or asked about. Yes she does help create the formula to beat Lizard, but she's given no credit and George is shown as a real "hero" in the end with Peter. As I mentioned all the praise for Gwen I feel as an insult towards MJ so let's look at what we knew about Mary Jane from the first film. Early in the film we are told that she wants to become an actor and move to New York City and through the trilogy we see her work towards her goal. We learn that she comes from an abusive family as well. She made mistakes, she had flaws, she said the wrong things, she got angry, and she didn't take Peter's crap. In other words, she was human. There was actually a character there and not some doll of a woman. This is in no means an insult towards Emma Stone who I think did the best she could with what she was given and I say that as someone who is not a fan of Emma Stone. As I said before, I thought the film was incredibly well cast it's just everything else that has the problems.
    I weep for when they mess-up Mary Jane.

You've clearly never seen Tucker and Dale vs Evil. I DARE YOU not to laugh at those deaths.

As for Gwen as a character is terrible. I wrote this back when the film came out as well.

I weep for when they mess-up Mary Jane.
    Apparently, you'll have your chance soon enough. But I always thought the whole point of the "no flaws" thing was to point them out later so it is just as much of a slap to us as to Peter. Since the movie is told through his perspective, I assumed he was wearing rose colored glasses when it came to Gwen.

Elder Member

Apparently, you'll have your chance soon enough. But I always thought the whole point of the "no flaws" thing was to point them out later so it is just as much of a slap to us as to Peter. Since the movie is told through his perspective, I assumed he was wearing rose colored glasses when it came to Gwen.
    You base a film on it's own merits. It doesn't matter if another film fixes it because it's still broken in the other one.

You base a film on it's own merits. It doesn't matter if another film fixes it because it's still broken in the other one.
    I agree. But I think we all look at Batman Begins a little differently after the Dark Knight. Plus, I felt the Chemistry and the selling of the actual love story were one of the best improvements from the previous trilogy. I really think it had more realism to it. I'm willing to look over flaws as I don't think they're that important nor do they show themselves as often in the "honeymoon" phase of a relationship.

Elder Member

I agree. But I think we all look at Batman Begins a little differently after the Dark Knight. Plus, I felt the Chemistry and the selling of the actual love story were one of the best improvements from the previous trilogy. I really think it had more realism to it. I'm willing to look over flaws as I don't think they're that important nor do they show themselves as often in the "honeymoon" phase of a relationship.
    I look at Batman Begins in the exact same way I always did.

As I stated before, there was no love story. She falls head-over-heels for no reason.