Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    Where is her Batcave? her Smallville? Her hometown and Fortress of Solitude? Where is the place where she could take young superheroines to have them trained? She has been stripped of all of that, had her sisters destroyed and demonized; and like I said, she doesn't have enough of a place in the DCU left for a Wonder Girl to be from.
    That's not specific to the DCNu, though. Aside from the short lived Wonder Dome, she generally doesn't have a Fortress of Solitude or Batcave, and Paradise Island is still her Smallville: one that was devastated every other Tuesday long before the new universe started.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

There's nothing about the new Wonder Girl that I find even the least appealing or that reminds me of the classic Teen Titans comic, which I read loyally for the better of a decade. It unnerves me that the name 'Wonder Girl' will be wasted on her, ..some neurotic, little tail-switcher, who sleeps with the wrong men and isn't nearly as charming as the tomboyish Cassie that John Byrne created.

Can't hold a candle to Donna Troy, either.

She should, I think. The new Wonder Girl, if not an homage to the original, should be better, at least, than the last. The trick, million dollar question here is, "What was wrong with the Wonder Girl we had, in the first place? Who ordered the new Wonder Girl?" Not me.

I read the last Titans comic - the new Wonder Girl's origin - and it just depressed me, because the spirit of the character wasn't there, and the story is coming from the wrong place, ..written by someone, who's never read the comic and doesn't give a damn. Putting Teen Titans and Wonder Girl in the rear-view, now.

Moving on.
    Last edited by MelDyer; 11-06-2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: clarity
    "I collect beings like him and cut them open--so I can hold in my hand what makes them tick."
    Cassandra on Orion of the New Gods (Wonder Woman #26)

Quote Originally Posted by MelDyer View Post
    There's nothing about the new Wonder Girl that I find even the least appealing or that reminds me of the classic Teen Titans comic, which I read loyally for the better of a decade. It unnerves me that the name 'Wonder Girl' will be wasted on her, ..some neurotic, little tail-switcher, who sleeps with the wrong men and isn't nearly as charming as the tomboyish Cassie that John Byrne created.

Can't hold a candle to Donna Troy, either.

She should, I think. The new Wonder Girl, if not an homage to the original, should be better, at least, than the last. The trick, million dollar question here is, "What was wrong with the Wonder Girl we had, in the first place? Who ordered the new Wonder Girl?" Not me.

I read the last Titans comic - the new Wonder Girl's origin - and it just depressed me, because the spirit of the character wasn't there, and the story is coming from the wrong place, ..written by someone, who's never read the comic and doesn't give a damn. Putting Teen Titans and Wonder Girl in the rear-view, now.

Moving on.
    You are so right that this character can't hold a candle to Donna Troy.

It is sad that a "Wonder" character has nothing to do with Wonder Woman any more. Cassie was introduced in the Wonder Woman book. She was created in another book originally so I'm suprised that DC is unlinking her to Wonder Woman.

But to be honest I'm still hoping that Donna Troy will come back and be Diana's sister and be a supporting character in Wonder Woman. I know it is unlikely but I can always hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluewing_A23 View Post
    So I just read Teen Titans 13 and not only did she has anything to do with Wonder Woman, now her power seems to be coming from Trigon.

I thought they were going to go with her bracelets are from Greece and belong to Ares; that's why they keep calling it "war bracelets". But in 13 it turns out that the bracelets are from Cambodia, and on the last panel it is revealed that the language on the ruin site Cassie took the bracelets is "The Mark of Trigon".

Not know if they decided to tie Cassie's power to Trigon from the start or because they are going to introduce Raven soon.
    I thought the same thing! That would have FINALLY tied Wonder Girl to Wonder Woman AND been a really cool and bold statement, making Ares a formidable character in another title... But NOPE! They decided that Wonder Girl's origin should have NOTHING to do with Wonder Woman... Because, you know, why would it?

I never cared for Cassie so I'm fine with her being taken out of wonder woman's world.

Yes, I assumed Cassie was actually going to be connected to the WW mythos in some way till all this.

I'm... a bit flabbergasted that the preview for the next issue suggests that in the new DCU, the idea of the Christian Trinity (as well as various other groups of three in various religions) came from the evil demon Trigon. I don't expect my comics to match my own theology, but this has reached the point of being genuinely offensive. (The whole Phantom Stranger=Judas nonsense is problematic, but not as nasty as this.)

Quote Originally Posted by chastmastr View Post
    I'm... a bit flabbergasted that the preview for the next issue suggests that in the new DCU, the idea of the Christian Trinity (as well as various other groups of three in various religions) came from the evil demon Trigon. I don't expect my comics to match my own theology, but this has reached the point of being genuinely offensive. (The whole Phantom Stranger=Judas nonsense is problematic, but not as nasty as this.)
    I don't see the problem. How's it offensive?

Inf‚me et fier de l'Ítre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    I don't see the problem. How's it offensive?
    I suppose impliying the Christian Trinity comes from what is, for all intent and purposes, the Devil can offend some who think all this is serious business. Which is dumb, yes.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

I'm not sure whether Lobdell was trying to be deliberately provocative here or just tossing around half-remembered names he once heard or read. He also refers to Kabbalah as the product of "Israeli pagan gnostics", which at least in the non-fictional universe is profoundly clueless. At least we can say with a high degree of confidence that Lobdell does not imagine that he can practice 'chaos magic'.
    Superhero comic books only become art to the extent that their banal, unrealistic fantasy and garish styles go too far and become interesting. Attempts to ground them in reality can only ruin them.

BANNED

Tim mentionens it's a theory that all the Trinities he mentions all have the same source, which is apparently Trigon, but the thing is that most religions as we know them today are all built on hundreds of smaller religions and myths that's been absorbed and adopted over the years.
    So basically it is just the idea of a Trinity that's supposedly come from Trigon, but all the religions employing the idea do not.

Btw the PS thing was always leaning on the possibility he was Judas, only thing that's changed is that DC has confirmed it.

Also, it's said that conspiracy theorists think that it comes from Trigon, not that it does. Conspiracy theorists think all sorts of weird things.

I like the new origin. I hope they will connect it to Wonder Woman somehow in the next issue, but it's possible the Wonder Woman writers did not want them to be connected.

I don't have a problem with Cassie's new origin. She's keenly aware that she has nothing to do with Wonder Woman and has often resisted being called "Wonder Girl". It's the press that gave her that name.
    "A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

Oscar Wilde

CBR Mod/WW Section Mom Gaelforce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FIFTY-TWO (52) View Post
    I don't have a problem with Cassie's new origin. She's keenly aware that she has nothing to do with Wonder Woman and has often resisted being called "Wonder Girl". It's the press that gave her that name.
    The problem with that, imo, is why bother to call her 'Wonder Girl?' She looks nothing like Wonder Woman, has no connection with Diana or the Amazons, and never asked for the title. There's absolutely no reason that I can see that the press would dub her with that name.

Add to that the fact that Diana's had both 'Wonder Girls' stripped from her continuity (while we still have Superboy, Supergirl, multiple Robins, Batgirl and Batwoman) and it seems a bit excessive. I'm really hoping that somehow they eventually tie the two back together as I think after 70 years, Diana deserves a young sidekick of her own and shouldn't have the only one remaining to her name separated in such a ridiculous fashion.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    The problem with that, imo, is why bother to call her 'Wonder Girl?' She looks nothing like Wonder Woman, has no connection with Diana or the Amazons, and never asked for the title. There's absolutely no reason that I can see that the press would dub her with that name.
    Assuming Cassandra has been caught on the front page at one point or another the press could have linked her to WW through the bracelets and came up with the name through that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    First of all where's the rule that you absolutely have to be associated with Wonder Woman or the Amazons to be called "Wonder Girl"?
    The media saw a girl with great strength, bracelets, and a lasso and immediately associated her with another woman who has a similar aesthetic.

Add to that the fact that Diana's had both 'Wonder Girls' stripped from her continuity (while we still have Superboy, Supergirl, multiple Robins, Batgirl and Batwoman) and it seems a bit excessive. I'm really hoping that somehow they eventually tie the two back together as I think after 70 years, Diana deserves a young sidekick of her own and shouldn't have the only one remaining to her name separated in such a ridiculous fashion.
    That's understandable. Personally, I'm having a much better time getting to know Diana's new siblings and familial relationships, so I don't feel the need for Wonder Girls (brunette or blonde) to come crashing in and getting lost in the shuffle.
    "A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

Oscar Wilde