Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How Did Apollo Get His Power?

Maybe I misread or underread the the story, but how did Apollo wind up as king of the gods? Did he just sit on the throne? What exactly did he do that any of the other deities and demigods - Poseidon, Hera, Diana - couldn't also do?

I was also a little surprised that he could turn Hera into a mortal. If Zeus could do that, you would think it would be a pretty effective threat against her - and could save his paramours a children a little hassle.

Were there explanations that I missed?

BANNED

In the absence of Zeus, Hera is considered the principal guardian of the throne what Apollo did was to have the gut to make a move on the throne, betting that Zeus wouldnt bother him. And it was only with the power of his title that he was able to make Hera mortal.

Basically, you sit on the chair = you're the king of the gods = you gain tremendous power and you can do whatever you like.

BANNED

I'm hoping they let this stick. Cronus overthrew Uranus and Zeus overthrew Cronus. About time Apollo gets his due. People always complain about progression in comics after all.

I would actually prefer if this is Azzarello's way of working back to the status quo that Rucka set up, with Athena taking over Olympus. That never got to be used before One Year Later, when it was ignored. Which would be even better than that time, because the gods are actually a collection of unique characters now, as opposed to a metaphysical toga party. And Athena was called Justice by Ares last issue, so that is quite interesting in and of itself.

As for Apollo; he made a deal with Hera for her power, sat on the throne and got it. Then he remade Olympus in his image. Hence skyscraper mountain.
    Looking for artists, know I won't find any. That blows.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter_peterson View Post
    the gods are actually a collection of unique characters now, as opposed to a metaphysical toga party.
    Toga! Toga! Toga! Toga! Toga!
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    I'm hoping they let this stick. Cronus overthrew Uranus and Zeus overthrew Cronus. About time Apollo gets his due. People always complain about progression in comics after all.
    Rucka did this already with a different diety, with Athena taking Zeus' throne. Honestly, I think Athena is a more logical choice, and I wish it had stuck past Rucka, but iirc, Simone was told to ignore the hierarchical changes Rucka made in the pantheon.
    The Silver Age is best recreated by not repeating it.
    John Seavey

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hunter_peterson View Post
    And Athena was called Justice by Ares last issue, so that is quite interesting in and of itself.
    In Greek mythology, that would be wrong. Zeus is Justice; he defended the sanctity of oaths, punished the dishonest, defended travellers and guests. Athena should be Strategy, Industry, Skill, or Purity.
    Superhero comic books only become art to the extent that their banal, unrealistic fantasy and garish styles go too far and become interesting. Attempts to ground them in reality can only ruin them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    In Greek mythology, that would be wrong. Zeus is Justice; he defended the sanctity of oaths, punished the dishonest, defended travellers and guests. Athena should be Strategy, Industry, Skill, or Purity.
    Actually Zeus is the God of Justice. Depending on if we are talking about moral justice or divine justice as entities we are looking at Dike and Nemesis.

But since everyone seems to have come to the conclusion that Zeus is dead, it could be that Athena simply inherited the title adding it to the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Actually Zeus is the God of Justice. Depending on if we are talking about moral justice or divine justice as entities we are looking at Dike and Nemesis.

But since everyone seems to have come to the conclusion that Zeus is dead, it could be that Athena simply inherited the title adding it to the others
    Also note that she doesn't recognize Apollo's claim to the throne or his authority.
    That's gonna be a problem for Apollo.
    "A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

Oscar Wilde

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FIFTY-TWO (52) View Post
    Also note that she doesn't recognize Apollo's claim to the throne or his authority.
    That's gonna be a problem for Apollo.
    Technically, wouldn't the only legitimate claims to the throne be Ares and Hepheastus as children of Zeus and Hera?

(Though I suspect Athena knows more about the true state of things and knows Apollo is temporary...think of her as the batman of the gods)

Technically, wouldn't the only legitimate claims to the throne be Ares and Hepheastus as children of Zeus and Hera?
    Neither of them seem to be interested. Also, with these gods, there's no telling who they're in league with. They could be Athena's eyes at this shindig.
    "A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    I know that, that's why I find it interesting that Azarello is taking her in a different direction. It does somewhat make intuitive sense, given that she's a combination of wisdom and warfare, which tends towards ideals of justice when combined. But it's definitely a departure from the myths.
    Looking for artists, know I won't find any. That blows.

(Though I suspect Athena knows more about the true state of things and knows Apollo is temporary...think of her as the batman of the gods)
    I suppose technically they would, but then shouldn't Poseidon and Hades not have a stronger claim to the throne than Zeus since they are older than him? It just seems to work with them that the strongest one takes the throne.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RandomFalls View Post
    I suppose technically they would, but then shouldn't Poseidon and Hades not have a stronger claim to the throne than Zeus since they are older than him? It just seems to work with them that the strongest one takes the throne.
    I suppose it would, but I am not sure how much we should put real world lines of royalty in the Olympian method that appears to be about as much about power as it is who is more sneaky than the others. Zeus was after all the youngest of the three.