Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Gundam 0083 is decent too, although it isn't quite as deep as War in the Pocket. It has some very detailed animation as well-well drawn and fairly fluid most of the time. It's principally an action series, but the main hero is a bit of an idiot and the background music is kind of ripped off from stuff like 2010 and Quest For Fire (F91 was guilty of this too). Plus there's a plot element introduced about halfway through that doesn't make much sense. It's basically what happens between the original series and Zeta Gundam, although it doesn't feature any of the characters from the original series (Although some Zeta characters make cameos).

As a previous poster mentioned, Tiger and Bunny will be dubbed and released in February.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkthinker View Post
    Other stuff I like (but I make no promises, this is my taste now. Also I have no idea which, if any, are on Blu-Ray): Samurai Champloo, Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi, FLCL (Fooly Cooly), Macross Plus, Paranoia Agent, Gurren Lagann, Noein, Baccano!, Michicko e Hatchin (which I think only recently got licensed) Sword of the Stranger (a little slow, but amazing fights) and pretty much anything directed by Hayao Miyazaki. Bear in mind though, as an animator what gets my engine revved is as much about technical animation production value as it is about good, accessible stories... for instance, I love Gurren Lagann, but I'll be first to admit, it's a little weird. Noein is surprisingly smart sci-fi, and maybe too smart for its own good. FLCL seems to make no sense at first, then makes perfect sense (if you were ever a boy going through puberty). And I think Redline is just the bees balls, it punched all my buttons.
    I watched the trailers for these, and they all looked pretty good, but Sword of the Stranger looked BOSS (or, insert whatever "I need to buy this" adjective you like). I think I will have to get that one!

Thanks for the updates on Tiger and Bunny, I will look for that one next year.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    I watched the trailers for these, and they all looked pretty good, but Sword of the Stranger looked BOSS (or, insert whatever "I need to buy this" adjective you like). I think I will have to get that one!

Thanks for the updates on Tiger and Bunny, I will look for that one next year.
    I can vouch for Sword of the Stranger.

It's a really fun movie with some stellar animation. Well worth a blu-ray purchase.

Also, if you don't own a copy of AKIRA then getting the blu-ray would be a good choice.
    Nik Hasta: "I'm not a ninja dammit!"

Respect the Mamudo Children!
    Follow me on Tumblr!

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I can vouch for Sword of the Stranger.

It's a really fun movie with some stellar animation. Well worth a blu-ray purchase.

Also, if you don't own a copy of AKIRA then getting the blu-ray would be a good choice.
    Yeah, I really want Akira but it's out of print so it's pricey right now. I'm waiting and hoping that it will get re-released by someone since it is such a famous movie. It looks like I can get it for around $30-$35 used, maybe I will just do that (I buy almost all my Blu-Rays on Amazon).

Do you have any other recommendations? You are another poster that I remember from my manga thread a few years back, where I really liked your taste.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    Yeah, I really want Akira but it's out of print so it's pricey right now. I'm waiting and hoping that it will get re-released by someone since it is such a famous movie. It looks like I can get it for around $30-$35 used, maybe I will just do that (I buy almost all my Blu-Rays on Amazon).

Do you have any other recommendations? You are another poster that I remember from my manga thread a few years back, where I really liked your taste.
    Thanks, I'm glad you found my comments useful.

Well... I don't know much that's on blu-ray... but pretty much anything Studio Ghibli have produced, specifically the stuff by Hayao Miyazaki, is a fairly safe bet but Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Laputa: Castle in the Sky are really stand out for me.

Paprika is really, really good, so is Perfect Blue and the series Paranoia Agent and pretty much anything by Satoshi Kon because the man was an absolute genius.

Erm, I don't think I need to tell you about Ghost in the Shell because you have the first film. 2nd Gig and Standalone Complex are both worth looking into as well.

I tend to read more manga than watch anime but I think that's a good selection.
    Nik Hasta: "I'm not a ninja dammit!"

Respect the Mamudo Children!
    Follow me on Tumblr!

I own Akira, Samurai Champloo, Sword of the Stranger, Afro Samurai, and Cowboy Bebop: Knocking' on Heavens Door blu ray movies so I recommend those. Btw, Ninja Scroll will be released on blu ray by Sentai Films Dec. 4th for U.S. domestic. I've only seen screen caps of that through review, but do own the pricey import version which looks great.
    Last edited by Tuan; 11-26-2012 at 09:00 PM.