Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 67
  1. #46
    It's Lexrules... GET HIM. Lexrules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,815

    Default

    Truth. That more people then not bought into this new 52 Superman. Yes, it has elements of both Golden and Silver age but it came with a price that the classic look and feel of the character and those around him changed in many ways. in short Superman has become way to modern.

    I'm happy it is successful don't get me wrong but I am sad that it took such a radical change to the character to make that happen.

  2. #47
    Inf‚me et fier de l'Ítre Auguste Dupin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,096

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    Truth. That more people then not bought into this new 52 Superman. Yes, it has elements of both Golden and Silver age but it came with a price that the classic look and feel of the character and those around him changed in many ways. in short Superman has become way to modern.

    I'm happy it is successful don't get me wrong but I am sad that it took such a radical change to the character to make that happen.
    Well, I get your point but it could be much much worse.
    Just check what JMS is doing in Earth One. Look aside, it's almost a lesson of "how to make a bad modernisation of Superman".
    At least, Morrison get the main points of the character. he may attenuate some (well, I don't think he does, but I could see why some would think so). JMS.....do stuff because it's hype.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

  3. #48
    It's Lexrules... GET HIM. Lexrules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,815

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Well, I get your point but it could be much much worse.
    Just check what JMS is doing in Earth One. Look aside, it's almost a lesson of "how to make a bad modernisation of Superman".
    At least, Morrison get the main points of the character. he may attenuate some (well, I don't think he does, but I could see why some would think so). JMS.....do stuff because it's hype.
    I'm kinda scared to read it Auguste. From the horror stories I've read here it could send me off the deep end.

  4. #49
    Inf‚me et fier de l'Ítre Auguste Dupin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,096

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    I'm kinda scared to read it Auguste. From the horror stories I've read here it could send me off the deep end.
    Well, take it this way.
    I love what Morrison is doing right now, and even I think Earth One goes overboard trying to feel "fresh" and "modern" (although it might more the fact I'm not sure JMS has a good idea of what "modern" actually means).
    And Superman has a tendency of letting people die (or putting them in a situation where they are most likely going to die and not saving them).
    Make of it what you want.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

  5. #50
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    443

    Default

    It's incredibly boring. I love Morrison. He's written some of my all time favorite stories (All Star Superman, Final Crisis, etc). But this was really boring. He's a hit or miss for me. Usually I love it, or I really hate it. There doesn't seem to be anything in the middle for me.

  6. #51
    Veteran Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    7,523

    Default

    Art's been hit or miss. The "First Superman" story with Adam Blake doesn't seem, at this point, to really add much to the overall tale. It really just served as Susie's origin, and in that sense I imagine could have been done in one issue or a backup. That's about it.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-07-2012 at 06:52 PM.

  7. #52
    Senior Member Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,524

    Default

    But You also gotta remember that it set up Cap. Comets origin and some of his future too, and if we don't get him used again in this run (we likely wont) we have a set up for a whole new comic book.....Morrison tries to do this a lot....and people never bite (what reason idk).

    But I think that's what that was set up for more so than Susie herself.......Comet could also be a rival in the way Samson, Atlas, or Hercules was to Superman. He could show up to pester or ask Superman for help or they could be at odds at times. Only this time he matches Superman's might with his mind.

  8. #53
    Junior Member Jean-Michel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Nantes, France
    Posts
    396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
    It's incredibly boring. I love Morrison. He's written some of my all time favorite stories (All Star Superman, Final Crisis, etc). But this was really boring. He's a hit or miss for me. Usually I love it, or I really hate it. There doesn't seem to be anything in the middle for me.
    Boring ? Is it the word ? For me, it's "disappointing" because, of course, All Star Superman or Final Crisis were much better. And, Quitely's art very very very much better than Morales'. But, nevertheless, the new Morrison's run stays a "correct" one : the writing is often fun and creative. But, it doesn't play at the same level than All-Star and others Morrison's titles.

  9. #54
    Veteran Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    7,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    But You also gotta remember that it set up Cap. Comets origin and some of his future too, and if we don't get him used again in this run (we likely wont) we have a set up for a whole new comic book.....Morrison tries to do this a lot....and people never bite (what reason idk).

    But I think that's what that was set up for more so than Susie herself.......Comet could also be a rival in the way Samson, Atlas, or Hercules was to Superman. He could show up to pester or ask Superman for help or they could be at odds at times. Only this time he matches Superman's might with his mind.
    Oh I know, its just that pretty much everyone by design that's been introduced in this story has tied in, in some fashion, to Vyndktvx and his overall plot. Comet is really the only metahuman character I can think of that really doesn't yet. So considering that formula Morrison's followed its just kinda stuck out a bit to me. But who knows maybe he'll figure in again before Morrison's run ends.

  10. #55
    Prostitution Whores! Talisman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Aniana, Symkaria
    Posts
    29,538

    Default

    It's just not that interesting. I haven't been able to connect to anyone in the cast yet, the villains aren't compelling, and the only one who was (Brainiac) ending up falling flat. Combine that with the inconsistent art, Morales' horrible take almost from the beginning, and the awkward storytelling style Grant's used, it just ends up a big mess. But, it's still better than a lot of other books out there, but still, it's not what it could be.
    X-Poster of the Month: May 2013
    The Best There Is At What I Do

    Top Ten Magic Bitches

  11. #56
    Senior Member Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Oh I know, its just that pretty much everyone by design that's been introduced in this story has tied in, in some fashion, to Vyndktvx and his overall plot. Comet is really the only metahuman character I can think of that really doesn't yet. So considering that formula Morrison's followed its just kinda stuck out a bit to me. But who knows maybe he'll figure in again before Morrison's run ends.
    Yeah I can see what you mean but personally I'll be fine if he doesn't but given that Susie is still involved I think we'll at least get a mention of Cap and his whereabouts. But I really just feel like Morrison was just trying to open up the DCU a bit more and expand Superman's world without it directly having any real ripple effect in the book (even though this instance did). I feel like I should bring up Steel who was introduced early on but ultimately has nothing to do with the story at hand. His appearance was there to show us something about Superman and the world he lives him....I think Cap. did the same just on a bigger scale. Both could hold their own books and have been set up quite well to do so.

  12. #57
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by net06 View Post
    I loved it at first. It was supposed to be this throw back to an old school Superman from the 30's where he was defending miners against strike busters, and beating up abusive husbands, and corrupt business men and how long did that last exactly? Three issues? That pissed me off to no end, plus the jumping around the time line happened way too often. Those are the big ones, there are other little things that bug me like the 2 dimensional villains, but they've been mentioned by others, any way.

    Agree 100% w/ this. I would love to see a T-shirt and jeans Superman series set 5 yrs ago.

  13. #58

    Default

    I'm really just going to repeat what others have already said.

    I didn't particularly care for his Batman run overall. However, I appreciated the epicness of what he was doing and respected his vision of the character, and because of that there was never a dull moment reading a Batman comic he penned. But with Superman, I never felt he was as vested with him as he was with Batman. I think he tried, but it feels like his heart wasn't really in it.

    Maybe he said everything he had to say about Superman in All-Star? I know people here have said you can't compare the two but that doesn't make any sense to me. Same character, same writer. He may have set the bar high but it was his bar in the first place.

    I don't know. I just don't think his Action run will be looked at with any more significance than Johns', Busiek's, or Robinson's runs. But I will give Morrison this - it was MUCH better than "Grounded".
    I think you and I are destined to do this forever.

  14. #59
    Veteran Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    7,523

    Default

    Nah, he's had this story in mind for a while, so he still had something left to say. This was it though. He's talked before about wanting to do a Superman vs the devil story, and that's basically what Vyndktvx represents in this story. So I don't have much reason to doubt that his heart was in this. And I definitely think it will be looked at with more significance than all those above runs. If for nothing else specifically because this is the first run of a new continuity that will be credited with establishing the new mythos. That in of itself will make it quite significant and memorable. Look at Byrne's run, as contested as it is still today no one would deny its significance, mainly because it established the mythos for a new continuity.

  15. #60
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    221B Baker Street
    Posts
    18,005

    Default

    Like most of Morrison's stuff, the reception of this run will drastically change in the next few years once it's all out on trade.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •