Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
    I've always thought super speed should be removed from Superman's power set! It makes him too powerful
    Sacrilege to an old Silver Age relic such as myself. I'll have to go and have a fortifying coffee before I feel completely well again.

Seriously, I accept the too powerful argument. But I'd apply it equally to all characters. Wally West "max" for example, had ability to travel at multiple light speeds, practically instantaneous acceleration (shot in his sleep at point blank range, woke up, and moved before bullet nicked his skin), ability to steal speed (no established restriction on that ability), loan speed, create constructs, and nipped into the speed force whenever he needed an extra power. Try telling me that this is not over-powered!

(Similar arguments apply to the main Green Lanterns... and several of the feats over at Stormwatch leave Silver Age planet juggling well behind in the "over-powered silliness stakes".)
    Last edited by jackdaw53; 11-05-2012 at 03:08 AM.

Tactile Telekinesis stephens2177's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jackdaw53 View Post
    Sacrilege to an old Silver Age relic such as myself. I'll have to go and have a fortifying coffee before I feel completely well again.

Seriously, I accept the too powerful argument. But I'd apply it equally to all characters. Wally West "max" for example, had ability to travel at multiple light speeds, practically instantaneous acceleration (shot in his sleep at point blank range, woke up, and moved before bullet nicked his skin), ability to steal speed (no established restriction on that ability), loan speed, create constructs, and nipped into the speed force whenever he needed an extra power. Try telling me that this is not over-powered!

(Similar arguments apply to the main Green Lanterns... and several of the feats over at Stormwatch leave Silver Age planet juggling well behind in the "over-powered silliness stakes".)
    THIS,.......all day long

Quote Originally Posted by jackdaw53 View Post
    Apologies, careless wording on my part.

I actually accept your arguments suggesting that Flash's speed relative to Superman has no impact on Superman stories. What I was trying to suggest is that exactly the same logic applies "the other way round". Namely, If Superman does do the odd speed feat that Flash can't match... then it has no impact on the Flash solo comic, and doesn't undermine Flash in any way.

I suspect that you agree with that?... but its not a sentiment shared by all (or many at all??) Flash fans.

Yeah I completely agree.......but how will we know that Flash can't match it unless we actually say it in the comic? Then it undermines Flash for no reason. So I think we should just leave all this up in the air.

Tactile Telekinesis stephens2177's Avatar

I wonder how they will play barry meeting kara in the supergirl book when he shows there in a couple months?

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    I wonder how they will play barry meeting kara in the supergirl book when he shows there in a couple months?
    'She...she's faster than Superman!'

Which will then later be 'retconned' to show that she was 'faster' because she wasn't as able as Clark in holding back speed-wise, even though she was conscious of the environmental damage she was causing...

I always thought he should be faster than light, but can't break time-barriers, should be fast as the Flash on land and air but does not recieve speedforce protection, so he limits him self on planets with gravity, and therefore mostly goes ftl in space or low gravity planets.

He also should not be faster than the Flash but enough to were he's just right behind him, if he does break a time barrier he must be sun-dipped or have some sort of external device that helps him.

The no time travel rule to me is strange,,, it reminds me of , the disapproval of alternate dimensions or multiple earths that I've read about.

I think that, if you go with the idea that Superman, like Alan Moore described, is the Perfect Man, then when he travels through time he doesn't muck stuff up.

Also, if you're a Marvel fan, they have Franklin Richards jumping through time and and acting like Superman 1,000,000 million prime to the sundipped All Star degree.... ]

I like Time Travel, and loved when GL, Superman, Flash, and Capt. Marvel just punched through or ran through time. Big Stuff for Big Heroes.

Heart, Mind, and Power, no limits, that's Superman, so yeah, on his best day, not everyday and for a big reason, he catches Flash.

Part of the reason I like Superman Flash Fast/ Near Flash Fast, is that I like the idea that his strength, vision, speed, and intelligence lay the universe bare. I like the idea that he doesn't need Magic, Power Ring, Power Cosmic, Odin Force, or a Mother Box.

Just he himself, self contained expression of intelligence, vision, strength, speed, and integrity, allows him to do cosmic stuff.

You can do that with any power level, but I think the nth degree level of power is a part of Superman just like Smallville.
    Last edited by Coyote2010; 11-05-2012 at 08:09 PM.