Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks for the input guys. I just picked up a MCDU subscription so I can go back and read a bunch of stuff that I've been wanting to read. I just started reading Ultimate X-men, and am enjoying it a lot so far.

Quote Originally Posted by webhead921 View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. I just picked up a MCDU subscription so I can go back and read a bunch of stuff that I've been wanting to read. I just started reading Ultimate X-men, and am enjoying it a lot so far.
    It is so amazing, you are in for a treat. Keep us posted on your thoughts.
    1) Find a bad guy
    2) Be Wolverine
    Bring Back Ultimate Wolverine...again!

I just started re-reading Millar's run yesterday, and dang is it good.

Honestly, I'm a little embarrassed for not enjoying it as much back when I first read it. The problem was, when I had first gotten in to comics a couple of years ago, 616 X-Men comics were doing some REALLY awesome things that were breaking the mold X-Books had been following since Claremont. Stuff like Morrison's New X-Men, Supernovas, Astonishing X-Men, Messiah Complex/War, etc. were all holding me captivated and I felt kinda cheated because a lot of the Ultimate X-Characters felt like just less developed versions of their 616 counterparts.

Ironically enough, 616 X-Men comics are in such a different place now that as I've read for the last few hours I've been able to really appreciate Millar's run for how well he reimagined classic X-Men themes throughout his run. The key concept for me to remember while I've been reading has been that the Ultimate X-Men are still kids, and a lot of this book focuses on them coming to terms with the world's perception of them, rather than being hardened superheroes blasting their way from here to there. The book really shines under that premise. I'm interested to see if the book can continue to hold that tone after Millar leaves, but in the mean time, I've been loving it.

I think that Millar may have my favorite portrayal of Xavier in any adaptation ever, which is funny when you step back to consider that I hated his Xavier the first time lol. His character work is phenomenal.
    Marriage Era Spidey bashers are shameful opportunists (Like you REALLY didn't enjoy a single Spidey comic in 20 years)
    Conversely, BND haters REALLY need to get over their continuity elitism already

Sits on the shelf! President Kang's Avatar

I think the sequence in Millar's run when Kitty's powers go haywire when she first pops up in Ultimate X-Men #21 is one of the best "Mutant power emerging" sequences I've seen across any sort of X-related media. I just love the "It happened again" line like, "Geez!", it's such a weird yet oddly mundane annoying thing that happens to her.
    Last edited by President Kang; 11-03-2012 at 04:09 PM.

I like the previous Ultimate X-Men run quite a bit---not just Millar's, but Vaughan's as well (even parts of Kirkman's). It was different enough in a lot of ways (Millar's Cyclops was still kind of a geek, but really, ridiculously badass in certain parts, too).

My main issue with Millar's run is my issue with all of his writing: the characters all come off as really fast-talking, arrogant d-bags who you're supposed to think are cool, but come off as really annoying and unlikable a lot of the time and the characters all sort of talk in that very distinctive Millar dialogue. When I say that, I mean, they all use the same phrases, have similar voices, etc., which always takes me out of the story. I have a very love/hate relationship with a lot of his writing and Ultimate X-Men is no exception. But it's certainly entertaining.

So I finally finished "The Tomorrow People" arc, and I really loved it. In some ways, I enjoy it even more than I enjoy his ultimates. I know Millar has a tendency to write characters as more "extreme" and morally gray, but I felt his Ultimate X-men were much more likable than his Ultimates. I really like his Colossus, Beast, and Jean Grey. I actually like his Jean Grey more than I like 616 Jean. I've always felt Jean Grey was bland in the 616 universe. Millar's Jean is much more likeable and seems like she can stand on her own as a character instead of being defined by her relationship with Cyclops and Wolverine as in 616.

That is true. Jean definitely has more personality and I really like Ultimate Beast as well. I always laugh when I read the "Missing an engine, Cyclops?" "Missing a FACE, moron?" exchange.

The problem with Millar is he has a tendency to create unlikeable characters. This was at its worst in Wanted where the hero boasted about getting away with rape - the film was miles better. Millar's U X Men featured a tarty Jean Grey, thuggish Colossus, repulsive Beast and a Wolverine who behaved exactly like Sabretooth.

His best work was Kick Ass but Ultimates was fun.