Default What are some good books on writing comic scripts? Anyone have suggestions?

I've worked a little bit on ideas for creative writing, and some basic screenplays for practice, in the past. I'd really like to get a good look at what goes into writing a comic script, as it'd be something I'd be interested in possibly pursuing in the future.

Does anyone have any good book or website recommendations for approaching comics from the writing side?

The DC Comics Guide to Writing Comics, by Denny O'Neill

Writing For Comics With Peter David, by Peter David

Panel One: Comic Book Scripts By Top Writers, edited by Nat Gertler

Panel Two: More Comic Book Scripts by Top Writers, edited by Nat Gertler

Writers on Comics Scriptwriting, by Mark Salisbury

More Writers on Comics Scriptwriting, by Tom Root & Andrew Kardon
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

Thanks. Ordered Panel One with part of a huge credit I have sitting on amazon. Sounds pretty interesting to get a solid look at real scripts that were used. I think I have that Astro City story still packed away in a long box...

Haven't Alan Moore and Will Eisner written something like this? I seem to recall Scott McCloud mention 1 or both in Understanding Comics...
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Eisner has two books on the topic: Comics and Sequential Art is one and Graphic Storytelling is the other. Alan Moore's in On Writing Comics from Avatar Press. There is also The Complete Book of Scriptwriting by J. Michael Straczynski that covers scripts of all sorts. If you are looking at self-publishing the comics you write, both Dave Sim and Larry Young (of AiT/Planet Lar) have books on the subject (Young's is called True Facts). If you are looking for more scripts and you like their stuff, you can check out the Powers Scriptbook (by Bendis) and the Civil War Script Book (by Millar).

There was also a magazine called Write Now! edited by Danny Fingeroth that was about writing for comics and animation, not sure if it is still published, but I believe back issues are available digitally from the publisher.

If you can get your hands on a copy of the Marvel Try Out book it too may have some useful bits on scripting.

-M

PS If you look at the submission guidelines for publishers that do accept unsolicited submissions, many of them give pointers how to format submissions to them that can also guide you towards formats that work, not so much a how to guide as far as writing for comics as a technical/logistical guide how to format them.
    Last edited by MRP; 10-25-2012 at 09:20 PM.
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

A few more:

-Writing and Illustrating the graphic novel by Mike Chin

-99 Ways to Tell a Story: Exercises in Style by Matt Madden

-Understanding Comics by Scott McLoud (deconstructs comics and puts them back together so you can see how elements on the page that you call for when writing work)

-Drawing Words and Writing Pictures: Making comics, manga, graphic novels and beyond by Jessica Abel

-The third book in Eisner's how to trilogy is Expressive Anatomy, (more an artists guide than a writers, but still offers some insight for writers in the medium)

-The Insiders Guide to creating comics and graphic novels by Andy Schmidt

-Comic Book Design by Gary Spencer Millidge

some of these have more from an artists perspective but understanding that helps when you are trying to write a visual story even if you have no artistic talent yourself, but most have a fair amount on the writing side of creating comics as well.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

This announcement came out recently:

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________
    6 SESSION INTERACTIVE, ONLINE WORKSHOP COURSE
    STUDY COMICS WRITING ONLINE
    with DANNY FINGEROTH
    STARTING MONDAY NOV. 5th

http://dannyfingeroth.com/online-classes/

WRITING COMICS AND GRAPHIC NOVELS

[No drawing skill required]
    MONDAYS, NOVEMBER 5 - DECEMBER 17 [No class November 19]
    7:00 PM-9:00 PM, East Coast US time

STUDY FROM ANYWHERE! In this unique online workshop format, comics writer/editor Danny Fingeroth teaches you how to develop your story from initial idea to finished script. Story and character development are covered, as well as script creation. Other topics will include finding the right artist to draw your story and navigating the ever-changing state of the world of comics publishing.

This online version of Danny’s famous writing courses will provide you with instructions on the general and fine points of comics writing, as well as assigned reading of milestones of the medium, assignments to do during and between sessions, and interactive critiques and suggestions by Danny and your fellow students.

“I have been fortunate enough to have worked with Danny as both a writer and an editor, and I can think of no finer teacher of the art and craft of writing comics books than Danny Fingeroth! Those enrolled in any class given by him should listen very carefully, take notes, and count yourselves lucky that you have Danny as a teacher.” —HOWARD MACKIE, Marvel and DC Comics writer

The class is limited to seven students. Register now!

For more info and to register, go to:
    http://dannyfingeroth.com/online-classes/
    --
    Rob Allen