Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Geoff Johns ‏@geoffjohns
    If a WW show happens her name is of course DIANA. Codenames (like IRIS) are used in casting a lot to try and avoid speculation. #TV101 :)

But it turned out that the codename originated much more bad speculation.
    Sexism: men are from Ares, women are from Aphrodite.

Quote Originally Posted by gwydion View Post
    Why would you read the description "pretending to not know what it's about"? They obviously put that name up there thinking it would throw people off---for real. That people truly wouldn't know who they were talking about if they changed the name.

Sort of like saying there's a hot new show they're going to do about an alien who lands in the midwest, and is raised by a kindly farm couple to be all about truth, justice, and the American way, and who goes on to become the worlds greatest hero. And how he flies, has super strength, is invulnerable, and has all sorts of vision powers. But his name is Fred. There, now no one will know who this show is about.

Honestly, that's pretty much what they seem to have thought. As far as the truth thing goes, it doesn't tell us much. They don't really say how that works, lasso, powers, or what.
    Well, if you give the description to the non-comic reader then I'm quite positive that Wonder Woman won't be the first thing that popped in their head. But then again, they won't know that her real name is Diana anyway. Or maybe they are doing this for the attention. Free publicity.

Telling WW's story is not rocket science. There is 70 years of source material to, at least, form the basics of this character.

yes...THE Wonderman. RealWonderman's Avatar

@Newsarama: Update: Warners Looking for AMAZON Lead, Yes, She's Diana http://t.co/ZdnaXi5P
    Are you sure that "by the grace of god" you survived? Maybe god was trying to GET you and missed??!!??
    Twitter: Ryan Klaus @RealWonderman

Wow. So casting has begun on this CW Wonder Woman show. Pretty exciting stuff!

So Iris is code name for Diana. The other parts of description sound intriguing. I wonder how Diana gets to man's world as a teen?

She comes from a remote, secluded country and until now has spent most of her life as a soldier and a leader on the battlefield.

Because of relentless brutality of her life at home, Iris looks at our world with absolute awe and astonishment. She’s delighted *and just as often horrified * by the aspects of everyday life that we take for granted: skyscrapers, traffic, ice cream. It’s all new and fascinating and sometimes slightly troubling *to her. Iris is completely unschooled in our world, our culture, our customs.

And she’s completely inexperienced at interpersonal relationships. She has no social filter, does not suffer fools, and tends to do and say exactly what’s on her mind at all times. She’s bluntly, refreshingly honest. She can tell when you’re lying to her. And she doesn’t have time or patience for politics or tact because she’s too busy trying to experience everything our world has to offer. There are too many sights to see *and things to learn *and people to care for.

Hers is a true, noble, and generous heart. And she will fight and die for the people she loves. Iris is a fierce warrior with the innocent heart of a romantic *and she will fight to the death to make the world safe for innocents and true romantics everywhere.

The Avatar of Vengeance melkorjunior's Avatar

I'm hoping they base this take on Azzarello's revamp of the character. He's made me care about Wonder Woman for the first time ever.

Sounds like they have a good grasp on her character at that age. My hopes for this are improving.
    "Curse you, Occam's Razor! You have betrayed me!"

Reviewing is a lot like paleontology: the evidence is there, but no one seems to agree on it.

BANNED

The fact that Alan Heinberg is involved is enough assurance that it won't deviate from the source material. His whole WW run was all about his nostalgia to the pre-crisis days.

Everytime I read the article again, the descriptions seems more ideal. There is no mention that she will not use a costume, won't have powers and stuff like that. That's just assumptions.
    After all, before Arrow premiered, there was a lot of people saying it would be the Smallville of Green Arrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    The fact that Alan Heinberg is involved is enough assurance that it won't deviate from the source material. His whole WW run was all about his nostalgia to the pre-crisis days.
    I believe in that, too. And I hope this could be better than his run on the book, since he won't have to tie to the consequences of some event (Infinite Crisis).
    Last edited by Don-Jack; 11-30-2012 at 11:09 AM.
    Sexism: men are from Ares, women are from Aphrodite.

So far, Arrow's ratings have been higher than Smallville's last season by quite a bit and the CW seems really pleased by its performance. I think this bodes really well for Amazon getting picked up and it doesn't surprise me one bit that they are moving rather quickly on this.

Smallville was on a friday though.Arrow is on a Wednesday

Quote Originally Posted by gwydion View Post
    Obviously, but that's not the point. The point is why on earth did anyone at WB think that by calling her "Iris" no one would know what the show was?
    "Iris" wasn't done on WB's part. This is normal film making procedures. The description people are reading are for a casting call. It's not WB's official character description FFS. Most casting calls are written generically and avoid specific names so actors don't come in with preconceived notions. Code names are used all over film making.
    my artwork

What if a child dreamed of becoming something other than what society had intended? What if a child aspired to something greater? Man of Steel

Quote Originally Posted by superchick View Post
    Smallville was on a friday though.Arrow is on a Wednesday
    also smallville was at the end of its run where fans that werent really into comics were getting bored of it

Quote Originally Posted by melkorjunior View Post
    I'm hoping they base this take on Azzarello's revamp of the character. He's made me care about Wonder Woman for the first time ever.
    I'm digging Azz's run too but do we even know Diana's NU52 origin story yet? I'm very curious how the CW series will get Diana to America as a teenager. It sounds more like they might use some alternative reality (like Odyssey). Whatever the case, I doubt Steve even crashes on the island. Either way, this early WW show description sure sounds like something I'll love. And to think next year they'll ALSO be filming the movie version of Diana in the JL film--which begins shooting sometime in 2013. What a great time to be a WW fan!