Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

That last update sounds terrible. This is starting to reek of Catwoman, getting too far from the source material.

If any of that is true, I hope this whole project is stillborn and never spoken of again.
    Freedom is merely the ability to live without fear of persecution.

So young leading armies is strange. The "relentless brutality" could be against the overall enemies of the Amazons (armies of monsters and stuff like that)
    So, she will not be Wonder Woman, but will already go to the city? That's not cool.
    The description of her is good, however.
    Sexism: men are from Ares, women are from Aphrodite.

The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    That last update sounds terrible. This is starting to reek of Catwoman, getting too far from the source material.

If any of that is true, I hope this whole project is stillborn and never spoken of again.
    And also notice the bit where they 86 her lasso so she "can simply tell when your lying to her". Yeah, this reeks of Catwoman now, in it's own way even worse than the "Party City WW" from last year.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF (lol, 5 of my 8 titles all written by SOULE)

Why the name change? I really can't see any logic in that decision. I mean she was called Diana on the old show and every animated adaptation, its what she's most known as to general public. I mean a lot of people probably wouldn't know Wonder Woman's actual name, but those who did would know its Diana.
    Pull list: Aquaman, Batman, Batman Inc, Green Lantern, Justice League, Superman Unchained, JLA

Based on this tweet, I think we can rest assured that she will not be called Iris:

Allan Heinberg @allanheinberg

Merciful Minerva! So much for using code names to avoid internet speculation. ;)

I hope that the description was also written in an attempt to avoid speculation. The "secluded country" is hopefully Themyscira and the "she can tell when you're lying" could be a reference to the lasso. It would be pointless giving her the codename Iris if the description referred to these elements.

The characterization sounds good though. As others have said, I hope the brutality of her home life is not a reflection of the Amazons but of the enemies they are constantly fighting. The definitely have the toughness down and maybe even the innocence and wonder. I just hope they don't forget the passion.

And lastly, I hope they don't shy away from the supernatural on this show. The CW has done a good job in the past handling these elements and I think the inclusion of the gods and mythical monsters would be a nice addition to the show. I always find it interesting how they handled gods in the modern world on Supernatural. It would be nice to see that here as well.

I kind of hope that, since it will be on the city, the show will have an Odissey vibe.
    I didn't like that arc, but the atmosphere was good for the circumstances.

I'm feeing a little better about this after my first initial reaction. I didn't even think about the clear need to utilize code names and vague somewhat distorted descriptions. I feel pretty sure that the character will be Diana. I am left wondering if we will merely have a warrior woman or someone with super powers. Heinberg, does love Woner Woman and I like the fact that he is writing the pilot script.

Quote Originally Posted by KingofMadCows View Post
    I think the safest way to go is to have magic be a hidden force in the world. Make it about how the Greek Gods, perhaps along with other pantheons, sealed up all the magic in the world long ago to keep it from running rampant and Themyscira is a gateway between the mortal world and the mystical world. The Amazons are a combination of warrior monks, special forces, and an intelligence service who are charged with secretly protecting the earth from mystical threats. The Amazons can go into the outside world to track down magical artifacts and defeat monsters or demons but they have to use magic keep their existence a secret and can't have any contact with outsiders.

However, some big disaster takes place and unleashes a lot of magical force into the world, making several of the world's governments aware of magic. The Amazons then have to make contact with those governments and help them contain the magical outbreak. It wouldn't necessarily be a monster of the weak type show since there are many different kinds of magical forces being released. There would also be things like mystical artifacts, malevolent spirits, curses and hexes, divine powers that give average people the abilities of legendary heroes, etc.
    If Wonder Woman gets picked up, maybe begin to seed in a little bit of magic into Arrow. Possibly even have the finale of season 1 act as an intro as well to Wonder Woman. Maybe we see the release of magic into the world in the finale and Wonder Woman teaming up with Green Arrow. Also, if the Wonder Woman show isn't picked up, we can continue the story of her in Arrow and have it be more mystical. Possibly continue this trend of a new "Justice League Hero" near the end of every season or so. Then, by the time the final episode of Arrow ends, we will get a huge Justice League epic finale. Maybe me just wishing too much.

Seriously people, they are not changing the name to Iris. It is so so SO common for casting directors to change the name of characters on audition sides because of the high profile nature of the project. This sort of thing literally happens every day in the business.
    Top DC: Wonder Woman
    Top Marvel: X-Men, Hawkeye, All New X-Factor, Ms. Marvel

RIP I, Vampire

Twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by Fong03 View Post
    Based on this tweet, I think we can rest assured that she will not be called Iris:

Allan Heinberg @allanheinberg

Merciful Minerva! So much for using code names to avoid internet speculation. ;)
    It baffles me why most of the knee-jerk reaction had to do with "Iris". 90% of the time they use codenames for casting. I thought this was common knowledge...
    my artwork

What if a child dreamed of becoming something other than what society had intended? What if a child aspired to something greater? Man of Steel

I think the most funny thing is that some are saying that the description of the character has nothing to do with Wonder Woman, but I'm pretty sure they will be saying it is right on spot after knowing "Iris" is a codename.
    LOL

if this won't be about Diana.. might as well make it about Nubia-- make it happen, CW..

Quote Originally Posted by sberg1 View Post
    Seriously people, they are not changing the name to Iris. It is so so SO common for casting directors to change the name of characters on audition sides because of the high profile nature of the project. This sort of thing literally happens every day in the business.
    Obviously, but that's not the point. The point is why on earth did anyone at WB think that by calling her "Iris" no one would know what the show was? And if they're that out of touch, what will the actual show be like? I notice that with the possible exception of the truth thing, (power or lasso or just perceptiveness), there didn't seem to be any mention of her traditional powers.

And Paradise Island sounds anything but. Also, she doesn't seem to have any defined mission except to go to Disneyland so to speak. She wants to experience things we already know about. Goody. But is there any other overriding plot to the show? Any mission Diana has?

It's way too early to judge this show--it may not even come out at all, or it may be totally different. But that said, I really don't know why they even sent this description out.
    Try my Blog!

And visit me on Facebook here!

Actually, if you read the description pretending to not know what it is about, it's not soooo obvious.
    Except for the icecream.
    About the truth thing, she was showed several times on comics being able to tell that someone is lying without the lasso (which is different from the betrayal of Hermes, for instance. Hermes never lied about anything, he just didn't say.)
    But even if now, on the comics, she isn't able to do that, she was able on previous incarnations.

And even if she doesn't have the lasso, it's better than having it but torturing people to tell the truth.
    Last edited by Don-Jack; 11-30-2012 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Don-Jack View Post
    Actually, if you read the description pretending to not know what it is about, it's not soooo obvious.
    Except for the icecream.
    About the truth thing, she was showed several times on comics being able to tell that someone is lying without the lasso (which is different from the betrayal of Hermes, for instance. Hermes never lied about anything, he just didn't say.)
    But even if now, on the comics, she isn't able to do that, she was able on previous incarnations.

And even if she doesn't have the lasso, it's better than having it but torturing people to tell the truth.
    Why would you read the description "pretending to not know what it's about"? They obviously put that name up there thinking it would throw people off---for real. That people truly wouldn't know who they were talking about if they changed the name.

Sort of like saying there's a hot new show they're going to do about an alien who lands in the midwest, and is raised by a kindly farm couple to be all about truth, justice, and the American way, and who goes on to become the worlds greatest hero. And how he flies, has super strength, is invulnerable, and has all sorts of vision powers. But his name is Fred. There, now no one will know who this show is about.

Honestly, that's pretty much what they seem to have thought. As far as the truth thing goes, it doesn't tell us much. They don't really say how that works, lasso, powers, or what.
    Try my Blog!

And visit me on Facebook here!