Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 91
  1. #76
    Senior Member okpanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, AUS
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AntiPatriot View Post
    Er, no.
    Acutally most of the time it is about his intelligence.
    Um, er, er, um
    Looks like "most of the time" doesn't cover this thread, as you just need to refer to a majority of the pro-Batman posts in this thread to see my point fortified.

  2. #77
    Comic Fanboy Spidey_Legend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Banfield, Argentina
    Posts
    1,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aziz Abbasi View Post
    Batman managed to endure Jason Todd's uprising rage
    Spider-Man couldn't stand sitting with Frog Man, Ollie Osnick, or any of the kids he encountered, he wasn't even good with the Young Avengers in his one day as a teacherspoilers:
    Waiting for Alan2099 or anyone else to defend Spider-Man and counter my poorly thought post
    end of spoilers
    He didn't have any problems with Anya in Araña - Heart of a Spider #04. In fact, he was really supportable and like an older brother figure to her.

  3. #78
    Silly beyond belief Sillia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    354

    Default

    I think it's because Batman offers more in terms of being an indulgent fantasy than Spider-man does. I don't just mean the extent of his power, but also the things he can do. He's rich. He's got his own code, but he never has to listen to anyone. He isn't beholden to anyone's rules but his own. He's generally successful at anything he does. He does things that give other heroes pause.

    Basically, he can do whatever he wants and still be revered as a hero. Other heroes can't, for a variety of reasons. Maybe their personal code won't allow it (Superman), or their circumstances won't allow it (Spider-Man). The closest person I can think of in terms of do whatever you want and still be a hero would be Wolverine... and I don't really think it's a surprise that that they both share similar levels of popularity.

  4. #79
    Comic Fanboy Spidey_Legend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Banfield, Argentina
    Posts
    1,077

    Default

    Some people thinks Batman is better because he is rich and a playboy which is a lot of people fantasy. Bruce Wayne as a character doesn't have any more. Batma, on the other hand, is a little better than his civilian counterpart.

  5. #80
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sillia View Post
    I think it's because Batman offers more in terms of being an indulgent fantasy than Spider-man does. I don't just mean the extent of his power, but also the things he can do. He's rich. He's got his own code, but he never has to listen to anyone. He isn't beholden to anyone's rules but his own. He's generally successful at anything he does. He does things that give other heroes pause.

    Basically, he can do whatever he wants and still be revered as a hero. Other heroes can't, for a variety of reasons. Maybe their personal code won't allow it (Superman), or their circumstances won't allow it (Spider-Man). The closest person I can think of in terms of do whatever you want and still be a hero would be Wolverine... and I don't really think it's a surprise that that they both share similar levels of popularity.
    This, also add Deadpool and Hercules on that list of indulgent fantasies based on how popular they are now.

  6. #81
    Junior Member LunarMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    I think that in general, Marvel has a much better grasp of the characters behind the mask. DC has these idealized people that I don't care about. I could care less who Superman or Batman is in their secret identity, same goes with Green Lantern or the Flash. I don't care if it's Hal Jordan or Kyle Rayner, or Wally West or Barry Allen, and most certainly if it's Bruce Wayne or Dick Grayson behind those masks.

    When it comes to Marvel, I simply can't imagine anyone besides Tony Stark being Iron Man and Peter Parker being Spider-Man. Is it preference? I dunno, I just don't really find myself caring much for Bruce Wayne as a character, seems wooden and boring. On the other hand, I care about Peter Parker's life. He's a flawed character that feels more real to me. The main thing that makes the difference to me, is his supporting cast of characters. They flesh out Peter's story and makes his world feel like it's worth caring about.
    This is one of those things that may have been true 50 years ago, during the Silver Age, but that really doesn't hold much water now. If this is truly your sentiment, then you're probably the first person I've run into with no preference between the likes of Guy Gardner or Hal Jordan as the main Green Lanterns. They're extremely different characters, even more so if you try comparing someone like Guy to straight-laced individual like John Stewart. You can call Guy many things but "idealized" isn't one of them.

    As for Batman, he arguably has the best supporting casts between both DC and Marvel: Nightwing, Red Hood, Damian Wayne. Every Robin has their own little fanbase, and pretty much all of them could, and have, carried a book on their own. Ditto with the Batgirls. Spiderman’s support characters don’t even compare, here. X-Men, Green Lantern, Superman, and The Flash come to mind when I think of franchises with really good support characters. DC has the one up here, since they tend to focus upon “Families.”

    If I had to provide a summary of the topic’s query, I’d say that Batman has a better supporting cast, along with a better rogue’s gallery: Mr. Freeze, The Joker, Two Face, even The Penguin. Arkham City did a great job of really showcasing how colorful Batman’s rogue gallery is. Psychologically, I’d say they’re equal. Peter may be more of an everyman, but things like The Killing Joke, The Dark Knight Returns, Mask of the Phantasm, and A Serious House on Serious Earth were essentially Batman’s character studies.

    Even Spider-Man hasn’t really had a definitive, character defining, work like the above list, but many writers have found the whole “Batman is as crazy as the villains he fights” angle to be an intriguing one to sketch from since the Dark Knight Returns was released. As two-dimensional as many people in this topic would claim him to be, writers love to psychoanalyze and take apart Batman (“little boy in a playsuit crying for mommy and daddy”).
    Last edited by LunarMoon; 11-14-2012 at 07:34 PM.
    Favorite of the 52 In Order: Wonder Woman, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Aquaman, Action Comics

  7. #82
    Senior Member okpanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, AUS
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Au contraire, there's Kraven's Last Hunt, The Night Gwen Stacy Died, The Death of Jean DeWolff, Spider-Man: Blue, If This Be My Destiny/The Master Planner saga, Spider-Man No More... maybe even the recent No One Dies...


    Quote Originally Posted by LunarMoon View Post
    As for Batman, he arguably has the best supporting casts between both DC and Marvel: Nightwing, Red Hood, Damian Wayne. Every Robin has their own little fanbase, and pretty much all of them could, and have, carried a book on their own.

    This is a pretty skewed outlook that seems to focus on something in particular - that all the Bat characters you've mentioned also all happen to be superheroes themselves.
    Meanwhile, not every superhero has a supporting cast that is a vigilante, especially Spider-Man.
    His supporting cast (Mary Jane, Harry Osbourne, Aunt May, J Jonah Jameson, Robbie Robertson, Betty Brant) are classic characters, but they're not comparable because they can't spin webs or are fantastical enough to get their own solo series? I don't think you need to be a sideshow circus act to be a valid supporting character.
    Last edited by okpanic; 11-15-2012 at 08:01 AM.

  8. #83
    Junior Member LunarMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by okpanic View Post
    This is a pretty skewed outlook that seems to focus on something in particular - that all the Bat characters you've mentioned also all happen to be superheroes themselves.
    Meanwhile, not every superhero has a supporting cast that is a vigilante, especially Spider-Man.
    His supporting cast (Mary Jane, Harry Osbourne, Aunt May, J Jonah Jameson, Robbie Robertson, Betty Brant) are classic characters, but they're not comparable because they can't spin webs or are fantastical enough to get their own solo series? I don't think you need to be a sideshow circus act to be a valid supporting character.
    Being the main character of your own book does a lot for your characterization. In a superhero comic, unless you are a vigilante, it's difficult to get that kind of benefit. In addition, someone like Jameson would have to be written in a more multifaceted manner to be able to carry his own book; very few side characters, throughout fiction, are capable of doing so, which is why someone like Dr. Doom is one of the few villains that I know of who I can see pulling it off. Every one of the Robins are capable of pulling it off.
    Last edited by LunarMoon; 11-15-2012 at 03:45 PM.
    Favorite of the 52 In Order: Wonder Woman, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Aquaman, Action Comics

  9. #84

    Default

    I love Batman, but he's not even the best character in his own Bat family. I find Babs, Dick, Tim(old DCU) and Damian far more interesting. I enjoy Pete's characterization much the same way I enjoy Dick or Tim. They tend to be infallible and optimistic to a fault (for the most part).

  10. #85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LunarMoon View Post
    This is one of those things that may have been true 50 years ago, during the Silver Age, but that really doesn't hold much water now. If this is truly your sentiment, then you're probably the first person I've run into with no preference between the likes of Guy Gardner or Hal Jordan as the main Green Lanterns. They're extremely different characters, even more so if you try comparing someone like Guy to straight-laced individual like John Stewart. You can call Guy many things but "idealized" isn't one of them.

    As for Batman, he arguably has the best supporting casts between both DC and Marvel: Nightwing, Red Hood, Damian Wayne. Every Robin has their own little fanbase, and pretty much all of them could, and have, carried a book on their own. Ditto with the Batgirls. Spiderman’s support characters don’t even compare, here. X-Men, Green Lantern, Superman, and The Flash come to mind when I think of franchises with really good support characters. DC has the one up here, since they tend to focus upon “Families.”

    If I had to provide a summary of the topic’s query, I’d say that Batman has a better supporting cast, along with a better rogue’s gallery: Mr. Freeze, The Joker, Two Face, even The Penguin. Arkham City did a great job of really showcasing how colorful Batman’s rogue gallery is. Psychologically, I’d say they’re equal. Peter may be more of an everyman, but things like The Killing Joke, The Dark Knight Returns, Mask of the Phantasm, and A Serious House on Serious Earth were essentially Batman’s character studies.

    Even Spider-Man hasn’t really had a definitive, character defining, work like the above list, but many writers have found the whole “Batman is as crazy as the villains he fights” angle to be an intriguing one to sketch from since the Dark Knight Returns was released. As two-dimensional as many people in this topic would claim him to be, writers love to psychoanalyze and take apart Batman (“little boy in a playsuit crying for mommy and daddy”).
    The killing joke and the dark knight returns were both extremely awful. Batman may have interesting supporting characters, but he himself isn't really that interesting

  11. #86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    I think that in general, Marvel has a much better grasp of the characters behind the mask. DC has these idealized people that I don't care about. I could care less who Superman or Batman is in their secret identity, same goes with Green Lantern or the Flash. I don't care if it's Hal Jordan or Kyle Rayner, or Wally West or Barry Allen, and most certainly if it's Bruce Wayne or Dick Grayson behind those masks.

    When it comes to Marvel, I simply can't imagine anyone besides Tony Stark being Iron Man and Peter Parker being Spider-Man. Is it preference? I dunno, I just don't really find myself caring much for Bruce Wayne as a character, seems wooden and boring. On the other hand, I care about Peter Parker's life. He's a flawed character that feels more real to me. The main thing that makes the difference to me, is his supporting cast of characters. They flesh out Peter's story and makes his world feel like it's worth caring about.
    It's an interesting way of looking at things. I have felt for a long time that Marvel is much worse at replacing their characters than DC is. Wally replaced Barry and people love Wally. Kyle replaced Hal, I really liked Kyle. Marvel made weird decsions like replacing Peter with a clone of himself and replacing Tony with an alternate young Tony from the future. Or whatever, those were dark days for Iron Man and I really wasn't paying attention.

    But is it really just that Marvel makes bad choices, or that their characters are inherently harder to replace? I still lean toward the former, but this is an interesting argument for the latter.

  12. #87
    Junior Member LunarMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    It's an interesting way of looking at things. I have felt for a long time that Marvel is much worse at replacing their characters than DC is. Wally replaced Barry and people love Wally. Kyle replaced Hal, I really liked Kyle. Marvel made weird decsions like replacing Peter with a clone of himself and replacing Tony with an alternate young Tony from the future. Or whatever, those were dark days for Iron Man and I really wasn't paying attention.

    But is it really just that Marvel makes bad choices, or that their characters are inherently harder to replace? I still lean toward the former, but this is an interesting argument for the latter.
    Most of the characters that DC replaces their mainstays with are the ones that have been around for years. That's always been my theory on why people accepted Wally West (Kid Flash to The Flash) and Dick Grayson (Robin to Batman) better than they did Miles Morale. People already loved Dick, which is probably why his Batman run was so well accepted. And Green Lantern was just selling poorly, all around, when Hal Jordan was replaced. Meanwhile, you get a guy like Jason Todd to replace a beloved character like Dick Grayson, and people hated him for it. So, DC went back to the drawing board and had Dick okay the tenure of the new Robin, Tim Drake, so that he'd be more accepted in the fanbase; this ended up working. Bendis tried something similar in Spider-Men, most likely for the same reason.
    Favorite of the 52 In Order: Wonder Woman, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Aquaman, Action Comics

  13. #88
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    822

    Default

    http://www.boomtron.com/2011/07/bada...e-week-batman/

    I guess this helps establish alot of points that Bats has over webhead.

    You know I never got why Spidey or Ironman didn't make Ben tompsons most badass of the week list on his site.

    Even Deadpool is on there. And he gets his ass kicked by Spidey more than any other hero he fights.

  14. #89
    Member Russ840's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    803

    Default

    To start ill say that I love batman and to me is second only to spider-man. But character wise he is a dull miserable boring twat lol

    Just my opinion and how I see him. Still love the character but I think I love him because of everything else that makes him and his world i.e Villians and supporting cast

    I love spiderman for just him. I love the rest as well but when I read spidey I am more interested in him than anything else where as with Bats it takes the whole picture for me to really enjoy it. Which is fine

    I don't think there is anything bet about batman than spiderman at all character wise. Once again, just my opinion though.

  15. #90
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,415

    Default

    Why is it that every thread involving to compare Spider-man to different heroes is Batman.
    I never saw the two as alike. Batman comics are primarily on him as Batman while the Bruce identity is just a facade. I know they have great rogues but Spidey's rogues are tame compared to Batman's who have descended to monsters. I always saw Spider-Man more similar to Flash. Both seem are more grounded and their rogues have some humanity. Thats my opinion on it anyway.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •