Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AntiPatriot View Post
    Like I said, I never thought that Spider-Man in the Avengers was a good idea to begin with.

The newest example:
    Issue 1 of Avenging Spider-Man.
    Everyone fights the giant robot and he just stands there, useless, making jokes.

He works fine on his own, but he rarely contributes anything particular useful when playing with the big fellas.
    He saved New York during spider-island while all the other a-listers were pretty useless

Brood.....

Spider-Man is way better than Batman. There is no discussion for me.

Spiderman is the best everyman hero he is archetype basically for it
    Batman is the honorable dark hero he is basically the archetype for it
    Superman is best noble powerful hero is basically the archetype for it
    Wolverine is the best anti hero/dark hero with bad streak he is basically the archetype for it

and last couple of years

Deadpool is the best comedic hero/action hero blend he is basically the archetype for it, Deadpool is basically a mix spiderman archetype and wolverine archetype that has made a new archetype

They are couple more but my point is made.

You can't say Batman a better hero because they are completely different things,Spiderman 1,000 is thousand times more relatable than batman even though you can probably be batman in real life.They both do different things very very well and they are both archetypes for many heroes after them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Luck911 View Post
    Spiderman is the best everyman hero he is archetype basically for it
    Batman is the honorable dark hero he is basically the archetype for it
    Superman is best noble powerful hero is basically the archetype for it
    Wolverine is the best anti hero/dark hero with bad streak he is basically the archetype for it

and last couple of years

Deadpool is the best comedic hero/action hero blend he is basically the archetype for it, Deadpool is basically a mix spiderman archetype and wolverine archetype that has made a new archetype

They are couple more but my point is made.

You can't say Batman a better hero because they are completely different things,Spiderman 1,000 is thousand times more relatable than batman even though you can probably be batman in real life.They both do different things very very well and they are both archetypes for many heroes after them.
    I don;t agree with that, She Hulk came first and she's known to break the forth wall and use action as a staple in his series to. It's just that Deadpool looks cooler visually than She Hulk and basically stole She Hulk's spotlight while looking like a Deathstroke/Spiderman recolor.

I'd say that right now Batman is more popular because of the Nolan/Bale trilogy, but that can change in time. Garfield's Spider-Man movies are just starting, and they will probably be darker than the Raimi/Maguire trilogy since this one includes Gwen.

Also Arkham Asylum and Arkham City were amazing, while Spider-Man's latest games have been mediocre to bad in quality. I think Web of Shadows could have been pretty good if not for it's irritating quick-time events. Actually Marvel's latest games so not interest me much. They seem to be focusing on making casual mobile and social games instead of games like Arkham City.

So even though Batman is more popular now, the pendulum can easily swing back to Spider-Man.
    Last edited by sandwich eater; 11-10-2012 at 11:00 AM.

A foaming Spidergasm. MurderFace's Avatar

It's a good question, but I think you kind of nailed in your first post! I think maybe people love the idea that Batman is the 'ultimate man'. Whereas I'll always prefer Peter because he seems much more aware than Batman. Peter can understand the absurdity and hypocrisy of being a vigilante superhero, whereas Batman's views on morality can come across as nave and selfish. I like that Peter is a nervous wreck, and that he hurts his loved ones, and that he struggles with why he even is Spider-man in the first place - I mean, Batman was born out of a cruel act of injustice, out of losing a loved one and needing to see that be undone and make the world right. Spider-man was born out of guilt, and that right there appeals to me as a reader way more.

But I still love Batman. I think especially post-Miller sometimes he loses his human element. I love those early Bob Haney stories where he felt like a real man. Like the BRAVE AND THE BOLD issue where Adam Strange comes from the future with a newspaper clipping of Batman's death, and in the article it mentions how Bruce Wayne had become a mad old recluse, and Batman is feared by the public at large. Seeing this possible future shattered Batman, as in put him in a dazed stupor, made him lose focus on his crime fights, made him depressed. You don't really see stories like that for Batman all that often lately, whereas almost every month Spider-man is a story about how it feels to be an insecure human fighting against impossible odds.
    http://thepuremood.com/ PURE MOOD PULL LIST + PURE MOOD PODCAST...new shows once a week!
    Weekly features include back-issue reviews, CD's, Art of books, and more!

While Spider-Man/Peter Parker is the richer character from his conception, I think that Batman has been used in more diverse ways over the years. Batman can go to India to fight Ra's al Ghul, he can hang out in space with the Justice League, fight ghosts and werewolves and visit alternate universes just as well as investigate a string of murders in Gotham (an environment specifically designed to match his visual and more practical strengths as a character), and none of these things really seem like extreme turns away from Batman's ground qualities. Spider-Man on the other hand mostly hangs out in New York, doing the same soap opera beats over and over in the same environemt with practically the same characters and tone. Spider-Man has been put in different environments and done a lot of weird stuff over the years, but somehow he feels much more trapped in a frame than Batman does. To me, anyway.
    "Doesn't everyone on here hate comics? Isn't this a forum where a bunch of middle aged men sit around and bitch about how they hate comics and haven't read them in twenty years?" -Mezzaro-

What makes Batman a better character is that more than one story can be told with him. Batman's diversity makes him a richer character. There's an argument somewhere that Peter Parker has a better Superhero origin than Batman, but that's where it stops. Literally, since Spiderman's creation they've been telling the same stories over and over. His character can't evolve like Batman.

Is it evolution if the character wears so many hats that he loses definition?

It's very telling that Batman often gets defined by what he can do physically, but rarely by his actual character.

What makes Batman better for me is the Bat-family. Grayson, Drake, Brown and all the others really bring something to this franchise.

Of course there is also other characters around Peter but nothing remotely close.

And Gotham is just a way cooler setup than New York.

It's very telling that Batman often gets defined by what he can do physically
    Er, no.
    Acutally most of the time it is about his intelligence.

I think the primary issue here is that some of you think that a character has to better then another. I think there are people who just like Batman better. They like the character and type of stories better. There are so situations that just aren't appropriate for the other. If there's something people latch onto it's "who would you rather be?"

BANNED

So based on some of the responses of Batman's power(as a hero overall) who would win in a contest of wills and tenacity.

Batman managed to endure Jason Todd's uprising rage
    Spider-Man couldn't stand sitting with Frog Man, Ollie Osnick, or any of the kids he encountered, he wasn't even good with the Young Avengers in his one day as a teacherspoilers:
    Waiting for Alan2099 or anyone else to defend Spider-Man and counter my poorly thought post
    end of spoilers
    Blogger

I am obsessed with the idea of completely erasing Spider-Man from every Marvel continuity