Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 91
  1. #46
    Junior Member newwave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    155

    Default

    I have always been more interested in reading spider-man through the years. However, over the past couple of years, I have been more interested in reading batman. Synder has just been knocking it out of the park starting with detective 871-881 and now with batman 1-13 thus far.

  2. #47
    Moderator Mister Mets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Queens, New York
    Posts
    23,016

    Default

    Building on some earlier points, it's easier for fans to come up with a personal canon of Batman stories, considering all of the arcs that seemed consequential, but were largely self-contained. There are a few stories that are essential reading (Year One, The Killing Joke) and that's pretty much it. You build from there.

    This makes individual arcs and runs more accessible. And it makes it easier to ignore the stuff you didn't like.

    Hell, some stories contradict one another. So I could pick my favorite of the four versions of Joker's first appearance.

    Spider-Man has essentially been an ongoing series since 1962, so all the bad stuff still happened. Even with One More Day, the clone saga and Mackie relaunch is mostly in continuity. A personal canon is more complicated, as even self-contained stories are set at clear points in the character's history.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

    Formerly,
    Cyberman

    Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

  3. #48
    Senior Member Goldgeller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    1,923

    Default

    With respect, that's a strange question. I don't know if one can say that either character does something "better" than the other in terms of what they can provide emotionally or intellectually. They are different characters. They are both fully fleshed out and very deep characters. You can have fun with both.

  4. #49
    Senior Member Deep_Sleeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,557

    Default

    I guess something that Batman does better than Spider-Man is have better toys.
    Olivier Coipel - The best damned artist on the planet!

    Shout out to Kev Walker! You're doing a hell of a job!

    Find & follow me on Twitter & Instagram. Check out arfguy

  5. #50
    Senior Member AntiPatriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,795

    Default

    I like Spider-Man, but Batman (as the sole DC-Hero, I hate DC in general) is just better in every way.

    The biggest advantage of cool Bats has over Spidey is that he, as a (trained, but still) completely normal guy is able to catch up with the likes of Superman, Wonder Woman and Green Lantern, because of his superior intellect.
    He always plays a big role in major Crisis Events.

    Spidey on the other hand is pretty smart too, but he always is reduced to a joke and gets worfed when he appears together with the likes of Thor, Hulk, Iron Man etc

    Peter works better on his own, as a street-leveler. He just isn't good enough to play in the A-League, unlike Batman.

  6. #51
    Lunatic On The Grass pinkfloydsound17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Dark side of the moon (Ontario, Canada to be exact)
    Posts
    556

    Default

    I grew up loving Spider-Man and never really thought much of Batman. However, as I have grown I have come to appreciate a variety of deeper and darker stories, ones that are more serious. That, and the fact that Nolan's Batman trilogy were so solid have recently persuaded me to step into the world of Batman and start reading some of the "classic" storylines. Here are a few things I have noticed:

    First, I will always enjoy old Spidey more than old Batman. I feel that Batman (prior to Neal Adams and the 1970's) was just too campy. Like, sre it is really cool to see some old old Batman and Detective comics but the character is not serious enough. Now, that is not to say Spider-Man from the 60's was that serious either...but there is just a better writing in Spidey issues from 1-100.

    Second is the villains. Spidey has a rogue's gallery that has always felt superior. Again, not to say Batman does not have some killer villains but only in the past 20 years or so have their villains been revamped. And again, by making them more serious and dark, it has made many of them more intriguing.

    Finally, I feel Spidey has never really grown up. Which, depending on who you ask, either makes or breaks his character. He will always be cracking jokes during fights and this makes him seem more real in some cases and less real in others. Batman is always serious. Always a sense of mystery to him but not one that the everyday man can really identify with. And this is why I prefer Spidey...he could be anyone and feels like anyone when we see him. Batman always seems to come across as better than others, doing his own vigilante style of crime investigation. And sometimes I am in the mood to read a darker style and that is why Batman does have his draws. He gets a major edge in badassery but when it comes to feel good heroes who seem more real than anyone else, Spidey takes the cake.

  7. #52
    Moderator Mister Mets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Queens, New York
    Posts
    23,016

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AntiPatriot View Post
    I like Spider-Man, but Batman (as the sole DC-Hero, I hate DC in general) is just better in every way.

    The biggest advantage of cool Bats has over Spidey is that he, as a (trained, but still) completely normal guy is able to catch up with the likes of Superman, Wonder Woman and Green Lantern, because of his superior intellect.
    He always plays a big role in major Crisis Events.

    Spidey on the other hand is pretty smart too, but he always is reduced to a joke and gets worfed when he appears together with the likes of Thor, Hulk, Iron Man etc

    Peter works better on his own, as a street-leveler. He just isn't good enough to play in the A-League, unlike Batman.
    It's complex.

    It's in Batman's brand to be the guy who kicks all sorts of ass due to training and superior intellect. He's also earned it, in a way that wouldn't work for a new character.

    Spider-Man is Marvel's flagship character because he's their most notable hero, but he can't be recognized as such in-universe.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

    Formerly,
    Cyberman

    Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

  8. #53
    Mysterious Plains Knight Scorpiodisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Crazy Town, Banana Pants
    Posts
    212

    Default

    I do not see how the two can be compared. Aside from being crime fighting acrobatic orphans with genius level IQ's they could not be more different. I personally think someone like Daredevil or the Punisher is a better Batman comparison .

  9. #54
    Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In Moderator land
    Posts
    28,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AntiPatriot View Post
    Peter works better on his own, as a street-leveler. He just isn't good enough to play in the A-League, unlike Batman.
    Spider-man sure seems to play in the A-League a lot then.

  10. #55
    Senior Member AntiPatriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,795

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    Spider-man sure seems to play in the A-League a lot then.
    Like I said, I never thought that Spider-Man in the Avengers was a good idea to begin with.

    The newest example:
    Issue 1 of Avenging Spider-Man.
    Everyone fights the giant robot and he just stands there, useless, making jokes.

    He works fine on his own, but he rarely contributes anything particular useful when playing with the big fellas.
    Last edited by AntiPatriot; 11-01-2012 at 11:49 AM.

  11. #56
    Senior Member Goldgeller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    1,923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It's complex.

    It's in Batman's brand to be the guy who kicks all sorts of ass due to training and superior intellect. He's also earned it, in a way that wouldn't work for a new character.

    Spider-Man is Marvel's flagship character because he's their most notable hero, but he can't be recognized as such in-universe.
    I think Spidey is recognized as a top hero within the MU. He's got a spot on the Avengers and has had a spot on the Fantastic Four. No super hero ever really hesitates to team up with him either. Also, I think near the end of the Kraven story arc Kraven's Last Hunt, or something like that, Madame Web (Julia) showed Spider-man how many other heroes' lives he'd affect if he killed Kraven. He's a lynchpin of the MU. I don't think Batman has that role.




    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpiodisc View Post
    I do not see how the two can be compared. Aside from being crime fighting acrobatic orphans with genius level IQ's they could not be more different. I personally think someone like Daredevil or the Punisher is a better Batman comparison .
    I don't think comparing the two is "good" in that all it will do is get fans going at each other regarding personal preference. But I think Spidey and Batman have a bit in common-- both are smart and resourceful-- this is probably their biggest "super-power" beat Spidey or Batman and they come back with a new web shooter or a new suit, a new gadget. Another thing is that both have at times been misunderstood by other heroes and the populace at large. Batman has been loved by heroes and cops and been hated by (some) heroes and (some) cops. Spider-man has never had quite the "hated" nature with other heroes, but there is definitely a subtext that he's a weird guy-- he cracks jokes too much, he's a loner, no one really knows anything about him-- this is something a lot of heroes have said at times (especially pre- New Avengers). In that sense, both characters are good at dealing with themes of being on the outside of society and even being somewhat subversive (but I don't want to take the last bit too far).

  12. #57
    Senior Member Khajit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,367

    Default

    The idea that Batman is more popular than spider-man confuses me. Spider-man is a costume juggernaut each and every single Halloween to a degree not even Batman has. Batman just has a recent spike of extra popularity from his various licensed properties doing the "revolutionary" idea of making quality products and happening to do so at roughly around the same time. I bet if Fox at least took half the effort Marvel has recently used for their movies the Fantastic 4 would be as "mainstream" as the Avengers right now.

    If i had to guess why there's a preference it has to do with Bruce having actual control over his life while Peter's is a storm of chaos where even something good in it(like his marriage) is going to unceremoniously get ripped from him. Have Batman comics gotten any better lately? I tried to read one post new 52 and was too disgusted by his rampant use of torture on random people without probable cause to think they knew anything outside of the fact that they were at a bar to read any further.

  13. #58
    Senior Member stewart48's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,203

    Default

    Is this thread talking about batman or Bruce Wayne? Because the Bruce Wayne because if you count Batman as separate, both Peter Parker and Spider-Man get more face time than Bruce Wayne. Batman though gets a lot more page space.
    BAD TOUCHSCREEN TYPER

  14. #59
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stewart48 View Post
    Is this thread talking about batman or Bruce Wayne? Because the Bruce Wayne because if you count Batman as separate, both Peter Parker and Spider-Man get more face time than Bruce Wayne. Batman though gets a lot more page space.
    Really? I didn't know that. I figured, Bruce would have half the screen time as Peter in his comics.

  15. #60
    Superior Gamma Burst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Brasil
    Posts
    1,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Khajit View Post
    The idea that Batman is more popular than spider-man confuses me. Spider-man is a costume juggernaut each and every single Halloween to a degree not even Batman has. Batman just has a recent spike of extra popularity from his various licensed properties doing the "revolutionary" idea of making quality products and happening to do so at roughly around the same time. I bet if Fox at least took half the effort Marvel has recently used for their movies the Fantastic 4 would be as "mainstream" as the Avengers right now.

    If i had to guess why there's a preference it has to do with Bruce having actual control over his life while Peter's is a storm of chaos where even something good in it(like his marriage) is going to unceremoniously get ripped from him. Have Batman comics gotten any better lately? I tried to read one post new 52 and was too disgusted by his rampant use of torture on random people without probable cause to think they knew anything outside of the fact that they were at a bar to read any further.
    Yeah, that's why I don't exactly agree with this premise. It's debatable, really.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •