View Poll Results: How do you feel about JIM #645 today?

Voters
22. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • I have already sent Gillen a scathing email

0 0%
  • I have already sent Gillen a dead magpie in the mail to let him kow how I feel

15 68.18%
  • I am never reading comic again

2 9.09%
  • I will not be reading "Young Avengers"

5 22.73%
  • I will never not waer my kid!Loki cosplay ever again.

2 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Journey Into Mystery #645 *Spoilers*

So...I'm a bit confused. Mainly because I'm not a hundred percent sure. But I'm pretty sure and it makes me angry.

Bah, let's get on with it.

spoilers:
    Alright, we start with the preview pages of Loki going back to the book and to that little world where all this started, with him confronting the spirit of the Old Loki.

Old Loki says he warned him at the start not to trust him, but Loki doesn't want to hear any of his old self's whining and asks to know exactly how much he's been screwed over. Old Loki talks about a stop the magpie made on its way to Loki to see the Teller, asking it to inform Mephisto of an item of ultimate power Loki will create after the latest peril looms over Asgard.

We get a page detailing Mephisto taking the crown and apparently giving some of the energy to the other fear lords, who apparently are more okay with bowing down to someone who isn't a part of their group then one of their own. Mephisto plans to use the crown's power to take control of the seat of Hell and rule the universe. You know the drill.

Old Loki says that Mephisto will take that seat today. Loki thinks there might not be too late, to which Old Loki responds that while there may be time for an eventual victory, billions will still die. He says that the crown is formed of Loki's thoughts and dreams and that if they ceased to be, so would the crown. If Loki allows the part of the Old Loki inside him (Ikol) to overwrite his mind, Loki will no longer exist and neither will the crown.

Loki says there must be another way. Old Loki agrees that there probably is, but that there isn't time to find it as it will result in many suffering. Loki muses that Old Loki didn't want to change after all. Old Loki says that change is all he desired, but for him to change, not this Loki. Loki after all would only sacrifice himself to save Loki. Loki wonders if the wordplay trickery is as annoying as when he does, which is probably the only laugh this issue got out of me.

Old Loki says that due to Loki's efforts to reestablish his innocence and name, the Old Loki now has a chance to be something else by taking his place. Loki agrees, but only if he has a chance to say goodbye, which Old Loki agrees to on the condition that he can't reveal what's going on at all. Loki's agrees.

So Loki goes to the cave and has Leah open a portal to Hel. He first speaks with Brun, asking if she could devour him. She says no as the curse is gone, misunderstanding.

Next he goes to Hela, who appears to have been fully expecting him. He asks that Leah be sent away as he wants nothing to do with her, obviously trying to protect her from the machinations of his evil self. Hela concurs and sends her to the ancient past, all while Leah demands an explanation from Loki, which Loki of course can't give. He simply cries.

Hela sort of comforts Loki, saying it will be for the best as by the time Leah has grown up she'll be more than enough to deal with the likes of him. Loki is confused to which Hela responds that he'll figure if he thinks enough. Loki says he doesn't have time and leaves. Hela muses that Loki was indeed never Hela's father, but that for the word made flesh that was never the only option.

So, Leah is Hela!!! Which brings up a whole slew of questions, but damn if that wasn't clever of you Gillen!!

Loki finally goes to see Thor and begs that he promise to kill him if he goes bad, to Thor's confusion. Thor refuses and wants to help, but Loki says nothing is wrong, but that everyone knows how this story ends. Thor says he'll never give up on him and that Loki should have faith in himself, which causes Loki to laugh. They hug in a very nice, heartwarming scene.

So, we go back to Old Loki and Loki speaking. Loki asks what next, to which Old Loki replies "The End". Loki means for everyone else besides him.

We're treated to a montage of everyone in JIM. Mephisto fails and is chased out. Hel Wolf and Thori are apparently a family in Hell now. Hela and Tyr get married. We see a baby who appears to be Wilson, being reborn. Volstagg is simply Volstagg again, but happy. Peace between the Aesir and the Vanir apparently. Some other little scenes.

And in the ancient past, we get a scene of what seems to be Kid Loki and Leah basically having fun, though Loki calls a lie on that one and all of it. He'll be gone forever after all and it's beyond all their power to end the story on such a happy note, in a bit of leaning on the fourth wall.

So Old Loki says it is time and presents Loki with the magpie, saying he is sorry. Loki says he probably is, but not enough. He also notes that Old Loki lost in the end.

Old Loki says he will change, to which Loki responds he won't as they won't let him. I'm not sure who "they" are. The people of Asgard, or the writers?

Loki says he played and won. He changed. Old Loki is just being himself as always.

"I won and you lost. Never forget it."

He then eats the magpie, which is both disgusting and kind of creepy. And says that he won, while the spirit disappears.

Loki rests on the ground for a moment before getting back up and taking the horned helmet of Loki from its stand.

The last page is Loki sitting by the stand with the helmet in his arms, crying as he says:

"Damn me. Damn you all."

So yeah, bye Kid Loki. Hi evil Loki in Kid Loki's body. I hope you suffer, you jackass.
    end of spoilers

Damn you, Gillen. DAMN YOU!!!

Oh, and the art was gorgeous. So glad they had Stephanie do the art for this last issue. Just wonderful.

So there you go. The end.

Sounds like a very ambiguous ending. Which provides a decent hook to go read Young Avengers to figure out what may or may not be up.

In other words, it doesn't really sound like the story is over. Even if it seems somewhat discouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmacq1 View Post
    Sounds like a very ambiguous ending. Which provides a decent hook to go read Young Avengers to figure out what may or may not be up.

In other words, it doesn't really sound like the story is over. Even if it seems somewhat discouraging.
    I'm not so sure it is that ambiguous. I mean, I suppose a little but I don't feel there is that much room to question it. I sure as hell am going to read YA to see what happens next though.

Old Loki hiding in Little Loki's body..

Manipulating young kids in Young Avengers..

including a kid who has the same powers as the Scarlet Witch...

This... isn't going to end well lol

Quote Originally Posted by dbcb314 View Post
    Old Loki hiding in Little Loki's body..

Manipulating young kids in Young Avengers..

including a kid who has the same powers as the Scarlet Witch...

This... isn't going to end well lol
    Probably not. Unless he actually is trying to be good or something. And utterly failing. Which is somewhat satisfying. Because Old Loki is a ASSHOLE!!!

On a side note, it seems there was a letter from Tom Hiddleston in the letters column. Which is pretty cool.

I enjoyed the issue but it was probably a bit too clever for me. I missed alot of JIM and basically just read everything Burns. The synopsis Mr. Nox wrote was about what I got from reading it, though the synopsis did clarify a few things (thanks!). I like Gillen. I'd like to read YA, but I can't read every book! Most likely I will buy Iron-Man. If YA is good and stays around for a while, I can always grab the trades when the dust settles.

All I can say is....Gillen. You bastard.

That seems... excessively cruel, to the characters and to the fans. To say the least and not use a large amount of swear words. I hope that there is something more going on.

As a finished arc, however, it is quite artistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldgeller View Post
    I enjoyed the issue but it was probably a bit too clever for me. I missed alot of JIM and basically just read everything Burns. The synopsis Mr. Nox wrote was about what I got from reading it, though the synopsis did clarify a few things (thanks!). I like Gillen. I'd like to read YA, but I can't read every book! Most likely I will buy Iron-Man. If YA is good and stays around for a while, I can always grab the trades when the dust settles.
    Yeah, it probably works best to have read all of it to best appreciate it. The trades are still coming up and are quite cheap for the most part, so I'd recommend checking them out if you can. I do like him as well, though I kind of hate him right now. I think Gillen says he at least has the first year planned out, so hopefully we'll at least get that.

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    All I can say is....Gillen. You bastard.
    Quote Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
    That seems... excessively cruel, to the characters and to the fans. To say the least and not use a large amount of swear words. I hope that there is something more going on.

As a finished arc, however, it is quite artistic.
    Perhaps Gillen wanted to avoid someone else coming in and writing what was sure to come eventually? Still, I would have liked it better if he hadn't. However long it might have lasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Nox View Post
    Perhaps Gillen wanted to avoid someone else coming in and writing what was sure to come eventually? Still, I would have liked it better if he hadn't. However long it might have lasted.
    You're missing the beauty of the moment. This was perfect, despite the fact that it's heartbreaking.
    Women are beautiful. But we're not here for your goddamn titillation.- junesdisco

X Goin' to give it to ya graffiX's Avatar

I literally started reading this title late last week, starting with #614. So it's kind of cool the Kid Loki arc is ending and this issue ties into that issue (as far as in a bookend sense).

Anyways (I haven't read the issue yet, and keep in mind I've missed a lot of this run) but aren't Kid Loki and Old Loki literally the same person? I mean, Kid Loki seems to be the version of Loki in a more pure, uncorrupted sense. In a figurative sense, they are separated. So all the corruption and evil past deeds were not present in Kid Loki, but they were personified in Ikol. And he was more of a reminder and/or deterrent of what he would become.

So it sounds like Kid Loki just kind of "reabsorbs" (for lack of a better term) this part of himself and now is "complete". So he can still BE Kid Loki because everyone still thinks of him as the uncorrupted child, but in reality he's back to his old self. Would this be a fair assessment?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_Alternate View Post
    You're missing the beauty of the moment. This was perfect, despite the fact that it's heartbreaking.
    Sure, I guess. Doesn't mean I have to be happy about it while recognizing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Nox View Post
    Yeah, it probably works best to have read all of it to best appreciate it. The trades are still coming up and are quite cheap for the most part, so I'd recommend checking them out if you can. I do like him as well, though I kind of hate him right now. I think Gillen says he at least has the first year planned out, so hopefully we'll at least get that.

I like Gillen. I enjoy his work on Uncanny and Thor. I don't think he's some sort of god who came down to rescue Uncanny from Fraction like some readers border on suggesting. But I don't want to detract from Gillen's good work either. He's good. He has some good ideas. I read parts of JiM when he first started and it seemed like a fun adventure story... but somewhere along the way, it seemed like Gillen fell in love with being clever on the title. He's a wordsmith. I imagine that he works hard at it, but that even still, it comes easy for him to put stuff together. I imagine he knows this... and I think it got him into trouble on JiM. I can't say where or when it happened, but I was reading it and I sensed it moving somewhere I didn't want to go so I dropped it.

I'm not asking people to change their opinion on JiM! It's just my feelings. I do want to read more Gillen though. It will probably be Iron-Man, since I'm starting to think he's an interesting character. If YA gets rave reviews, that may mean I pick it up sooner rather than later though.

Sad, inevitable, perfect, and thank you for the spoilers, as I now feel absolutely no need to buy it.
    Mostly moved on to fanfiction.net...

Quote Originally Posted by graffiX View Post
    I literally started reading this title late last week, starting with #614. So it's kind of cool the Kid Loki arc is ending and this issue ties into that issue (as far as in a bookend sense).

Anyways (I haven't read the issue yet, and keep in mind I've missed a lot of this run) but aren't Kid Loki and Old Loki literally the same person? I mean, Kid Loki seems to be the version of Loki in a more pure, uncorrupted sense. In a figurative sense, they are separated. So all the corruption and evil past deeds were not present in Kid Loki, but they were personified in Ikol. And he was more of a reminder and/or deterrent of what he would become.

So it sounds like Kid Loki just kind of "reabsorbs" (for lack of a better term) this part of himself and now is "complete". So he can still BE Kid Loki because everyone still thinks of him as the uncorrupted child, but in reality he's back to his old self. Would this be a fair assessment?
    Yes. That's what I'm thinking. Loki wants to change, he wants to follow the momentum of Kid Loki. I think the "damn you, damn you all" bit from the end is Loki's realization that change is hard and uncomfortable, and that he may not have changed as much as he thinks. The feather from Ikol was white in the last page. That could be interpreted in a variety of ways.