Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Catwoman, #13

Ann Nocenti and Rafa Sandoval bring a heist involving a massive chess game in "Catwoman" #13, which ends up being much more interesting than the "Death of the Family" prelude portion.

Full review here.

o.O

3.5 from McElhatton?

\o/

those god-damned goggles chipsnopotatoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ticklefist View Post
    o.O

3.5 from McElhatton?

\o/
    I'm glad he likes the chess story as much as we do. And Rafa!

BTW, is Greg M hard to please?

He called issue #1 a disaster. Peeved me off at the time.

Default Did Catwoman stick a piece of KFC in her bra?

Some of the images were sytlishly nice but some of the unorthodox layouts that resulted disrupted the story flow too many times. Is the trenchcoat guy supposed to be the Joker? Yes or no he felt hardly more threatening than a peeping tom - with some knack of knowing Selina's private past.

Trip Winter? Meh. Is he trenchcoat guy exploding those pawns disrupting some chess game that's suppose to mean something in the underworld?

Did Catwoman stick a piece of KFC in her bra? Just felt like an overall weird issue after all was said and done. Not as good as other ones in the run so far.

This issue was terrible. I'm very surprised with the review.
    My blog for you folks who can read. http://mrroussis.wordpress.com/

American at the Crossroad
    This weird geometrically shaped place in northern VA...

Quote Originally Posted by MrRoussis View Post
    This issue was terrible. I'm very surprised with the review.
    I agree. I named it my worst issue of the week out of the 24 I bought:

http://www.nerdtopiacast.com/2012/10...-day-issue-12/

"Ann Nocenti may have been a comic legend in the past with her seminal Daredevil work, but while seemingly doing her best to continue to run Green Arrow into the ground with stunted and unnatural sounding dialogue and jigsawed plots, she’s been moved over to Catwoman. This issue jumps around while Selina rambles to herself like a stroke victim throughout in an utter refusal to show and not tell. The worst part is probably that for the second week in a row, DC slapped a “Death in the Family Prologue” cover on a comic that ties into that story about as much as this column does. Like Batgirl #13 last week, the “prologue” consists of a few panels of things that look like the Joker’s influence is in play, from a mirror bordered with little joker faces to a large grinning cat poster. But the majority of the story is a by the numbers tale of Selina having ghosts of her past brought up with absolutely zero mystery to the reader but seemingly impossible to decipher for an intelligent and experienced woman like her. If the entire issue had been focused more on her cleverness in trying to play a chess game with giant pieces throughout the city as in the only really quality scene, if you ignore most of the dialogue, this issue would have worked a lot better."

Retired

I'm about done with Catwoman after these last two issues. Godawful.
    PAD's All-New, All-Different X-Factor: From The Beginning
    X-Poster of the Month & Year: (August) 2012 | March 2013
    Come to Deathstrike & .AČ: Mutant League Champions 2013

Yeah this issue definitely had its faults. Fortunately it had enough going for it that fans still have enough to be excited about. Definitely could have been better but it wasn't so bad that I'll toss out insults to stroke victims on my way to letting DC know how much better it could have been.
    Last edited by ticklefist; 10-23-2012 at 11:47 AM.

Unreasonably Opinionated Conway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ticklefist View Post
    Yeah this issue definitely had its faults. Fortunately it had enough going for it that fans still have enough to be excited about. Definitely could have been better but it wasn't so bad that I'll toss out insults to stroke victims on my way to letting DC know how much better it could have been.
    I'm still not sure what happened at the end, but a Joker I can't see is more interesting that the horror movie villain in Batman #13. I guess that means so far it is the best title in the crossover, and that's sad.

Quote Originally Posted by .AČ View Post
    I'm about done with Catwoman after these last two issues. Godawful.
    I just may trade wait Ms. Kyle until JLA. :(
    You're superior to pryde in my eyes -tlp

Are you trying to fight me, teddy? I believe in gender equality, I will falcon punch you - Jan 'slacker' Brady

Joker doesn't even show up in silhouette in Batgirl #13 but we talked about it for days (and pages). This entire issue is probably the Joker and we can't even get out of page 1. I don't get it, this was a more interesting story than Batgirl #13 even if it wasn't the end of an arc. I really expected a little more love (or at least discussion) after all the blind adoration for Batman #13.

those god-damned goggles chipsnopotatoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conway View Post
    Joker doesn't even show up in silhouette in Batgirl #13 but we talked about it for days (and pages). This entire issue is probably the Joker and we can't even get out of page 1. I don't get it, this was a more interesting story than Batgirl #13 even if it wasn't the end of an arc. I really expected a little more love (or at least discussion) after all the blind adoration for Batman #13.
    Because all the whining is here http://forums.comicbookresources.com...view-Dicussion

Quote Originally Posted by chipsnopotatoes View Post
    Okay, but still 5 pages that haven't ever been on the front page of the forum v. Batgirl's 17 pages at the top forum for two weeks. It is clear that people don't like Catwoman, and don't care about Joker.

WHAT??? this shit was nonesense!!
    she was chasing her own shadow???
    giant chess???
    r we supposed to care for this???
    not my type of book i guess,
    creators should realize lots of people would buy this issue because of Death of the Family crossover...
    this isn't new reader-friendly
    Comic Book Deaths 2012
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7SvM6adTeY

Bring back Ultimate DAZZLER!!