A Comic book fan till I die.
An unashamed Bloodstone, Captain Britain, Hawkman, Atom, Doctor Fate and Bat-villain fanboy.
Please DC could we have a Greg Pak Hawkman series.
Missed this thread, but I'm with the Heart of Ice fans. Now, apart from theme, Freeze and the Mad Hatter are pretty interchangeable as villains. Nutjobs obsessed with women based on their themes.
I enjoyed 'Snow' from Legends of the Dark Knight, although I didn't like the art. The Batman just looks terrible. :P
Anyways, I haven't read new origin but I doubt I'll like it after reading how different it is.
So what 'Mr.Freeze fans' think of 'Snow' ?
While the idea in of itself I don't think is bad, I just don't like the change for a character like Mr. Freeze. I think there's some story there, sure, but to me its very finite, and thus in the end not worth the change. I prefer Nora really being his wife.
Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-03-2012 at 02:16 AM.
I'm trying to think how long the character was around before we got the origin that included Nora. 30-35 years or so? And then we had the +Nora origin for... 20 years after that? So really, the character has had more time without it than with it.
That said, it would be hard to improve on Heart of Ice.
Well, Croc is just a guy with problems. He isn't actually a monster. Apparently alcohol abuse was one of his many problems.
And right now, I like Freeze's new origin. The thing with Nora being his wife was too one-dimensional. It didn't allow for him to do anything in a story other than whine about his wife and be a weak anti-hero. If it wasn't that, he was just a joke villain in the background.
He killed his mother because, in his mind, she was already dead. It gives Bats a motivation to not help him and we still have the complicated 'sympathetic' angle that we are acuustomed to. Sure he's kinda crazy... but not like... Joker or Scarecrow crazy. More like... Two Face crazy. There you go. No more sadness.
I think the new origin had the potential to work but the main problem is that it's filled with idiotic contrivances and makes absolutely no sense.
Here are some obvious contrivances and plot holes:
end of spoilers
1. Why was Bruce against researching a way to defrost the cryogenically frozen people? The whole reason why those people were frozen is because they had sick and wanted to be thawed out again when cures were found.
2. Why was Fries so desperate to unfreeze Nora? She had already been frozen for several decades. She's perfectly fine as long as she's frozen. There's no urgency in her situation at all. In fact, it's far more dangerous to rush things since the danger lies in unfreezing her. It makes far more sense for Fries to do things legally by conducting more research and doing more tests to improve the defrosting process so that she can be unfrozen safely.
3. What exactly was Fries' plan after he unfreezes Nora? She still has a heart condition and needs surgery. Was he planning to do the surgery himself? When did he become a heart surgeon? How is he going to take care of her after the surgery? Again, it would make far more sense for Fries to do it legally to ensure that Nora can get the treatment she needs after she's unfrozen.
4. Why did Bruce decide to confront Fries inside the cryogenic chamber near all that sensitive equipment and dangerous chemicals? Why didn't Bruce just look Fries out of the lab or have him arrested as he came in or out of work?
5. Why did Batman use the real Nora as bait for Freeze? Freeze had no idea where Nora was and took Bruce's word that Nora was in his office, so there was absolutely no reason for Batman to use Nora at all. It's especially hypocritical for him to use Nora since he made a point to Fries about how Nora can't consent to being a part of his experiment. Well, I'm pretty sure that Nora couldn't consent to being used as bait for an insane mass murderer either. In fact, Batman's whole "plan" needlessly put a lot of people in danger. Why didn't he evacuate everyone in the cryo storage chamber? All those people are helpless, what if Freeze killed them all in a fit of rage or to spite Bruce/Batman?
6. The "traps" Batman, Nightwing, and Damien set for Freeze where stupid. They acted like idiots by announcing their presence to Freeze instead of doing the sensible thing of trying to take him out in a surprise attack.