Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

One thing to note is JLGL has been DC exclusive for most of his career. So to an extent he has been limited, despite working steadily for nearly 40 years.

Out there, that a way Doctor Cosmic's Avatar

JGL is a master draftsman and storyteller. His work continues to be strong, even better than that of Neal Adams. In fact, I've always preferred JGL and Jim Aparo's work to Adams' work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	supermangallery127josel.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	103888

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Cosmic View Post
    JGL is a master draftsman and storyteller. His work continues to be strong, even better than that of Neal Adams. In fact, I've always preferred JGL and Jim Aparo's work to Adams' work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	supermangallery127josel.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	103888
    Jim Aparo, his Batman book is terrific, his Aquaman stuff is just unreal, and of course, I love Neal Adams DC work!

BUT when I think of the DC heroes, "the real ones, the way they really look"

It's totally Garcia Lopez.

I can't wait for his Superman collection, Gil Kane one coming soon as well.

There has to be a Curt Swan Mega Awesome Deluxe Edition coming, The Legion, Superman through the ages an what not....

But still, JLGL draws the real DCU.

Quote Originally Posted by zryson View Post
    Fantastic artist! One of the greatest imho.
    Completely agree!
    Square City Comics - Come check us out!

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mac! View Post
    I saw the collection being released in April and was just curious if anyone had any opinions of the stories being collected. His art looks gorgeous, and I'd definitely pick it up if the stories were fun.
    I gather this is going to collect the Superman vs. Wonder Woman tabloid. Easily worth it just to have a restored version of that.
    Superhero comic books only become art to the extent that their banal, unrealistic fantasy and garish styles go too far and become interesting. Attempts to ground them in reality can only ruin them.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote2010 View Post
    BUT when I think of the DC heroes, "the real ones, the way they really look"

It's totally Garcia Lopez.
    I know what you mean... For me, I'd say that is due to all the merchandising in the 1970s and 1980s, which was pretty much all him and Giordano. New issues of comics come and go, but I saw his images of the DC characters every single day growing up.

I have read that JLGL was supposed to officially take over the art on the Superman titles (largely replacing Curt Swan), but the Crisis came about and squashed all that. He was such a great fit at DC pre-Crisis and it's too bad that he didn't seem to be around much after that.

Quote Originally Posted by delliott101 View Post
    I have read that JLGL was supposed to officially take over the art on the Superman titles (largely replacing Curt Swan), but the Crisis came about and squashed all that. He was such a great fit at DC pre-Crisis and it's too bad that he didn't seem to be around much after that.
    He did things here and there. One that I read recently was an excellent collected Batman Confidential arc, inked by Kevin Nolan.

http://www.amazon.com/Batman-King-Tu...batman+riddler

Really great, and hadn't lost a beat.

One of the best artists the industry ever had.

Peace

Did anyone get the Superman Omnibus? His Superman is magnificent, especially in motion. Clark and Lois look gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by delliott101 View Post
    It was looking that way for a while then they went with Gil Kane, who is also great but Garcia Lopez really should have been the successor to Swan. Then COIE happened and then Byrne happened. Meanwhile, DC had JLGL draw a series called Atari Force. Yeah, they were that clueless.
    Doomed Planet. Desperate Scientists. Last Hope. Kindly Couple.

This is one of my favorite Superman pics he has ever drawn, it's a shame it's hard to find it anywhere online that is a decent size.
    "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women." - Conan

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    Jose Luis Garcia is very underrated , never talked of as one of the greats but has been around for ages.

This. He's one of my favorite Superman artists. And one of the best in comics history.

Criminally overlooked when talking about the all-time great comic book artists.

He's Always Right Ismail's Light's Avatar

You know, when I first got into comics, I never used to think Garcia-Lopez's art was all that good. Now, looking back, I realize just how good his stuff actually was.

I just chalk it up to my youthful ignorance, and inability to appreciate the work of a master when I saw it.

I've got this book, pre-ordered it the second I could. Am yet to crack it open as I'm tearing through a backlog of books and a couple of others in the order, but I'm excited.