Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    I caught you red-handed Wild_Child's Avatar

Default Why was Wonder Woman always humiliated

I've read the tradeback trinity and she was humiliated a lot.Bizzaro broke her lasso of truth and beat her up badly.Ra'ah gul said he was gonna rape her.She fainted by the pits and it should had been her to stop the rocket and not Batman who was written as a Batgod in this book.I found the book very hard to read.
    Last edited by Wild_Child; 10-18-2012 at 07:29 PM.

Hmmm idk.......why is this in the Superman section is probably a better question.

I thought I put this in the WW section.

Superman fans may answers my question anyway.

Well you sort of answered it in your question. The Batgod. I'm hoping DC strayed off from those portrayal and would treat her better now. I know DC is trying to give her the importance she deserves.

U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar

I ceased all efforts to take the story seriously the second Bizarro broke the lasso.
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”

Also Batman was sent himself to fight Bizzaro and told WW to fight Ra's Al Ghul.WW had a hard fighting him and she is a superhuman and Ra's Al Ghual is just a human. Shouldn't Batman have fought Ra's Al ghul?WW should had faced Bizzaro instead of BM?

Years ago, I saw someone complain that in Matt Wagner's "Trinity," it seemed Wonder Woman was only in the story so they could have the word "trinity" on the cover, along with pictures of the three highly recognizable superheroes -- but not because Wagner actually wanted Diana to accomplish anything significant in the plot!

After seeing that comment, I dug out my TPB of that miniseries and reread it . . . and concluded the critic might actually have a point!

Quote Originally Posted by Wild_Child View Post
    I've read the tradeback trinity and she was humiliated a lot.Bizzaro broke her lasso of truth and beat her up badly.Ra'ah gul said he was gonna rape her.She fainted by the pits and it should had been her to stop the rocket and not Batman who was written as a Batgod in this book.I found the book very hard to read.
    I remember Trinity and WW was really messed up in it. There was almost this sadistic feel to it, about making her hurt or something.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    I ceased all efforts to take the story seriously the second Bizarro broke the lasso.
    Seriously, what the hell was that? Wasnt there an editor to correct this mistake before it got printed?

WW crap aside, it was a pretty good story though.

Also Batman was sent himself to fight Bizzaro and told WW to fight Ra's Al Ghul.WW had a hard fighting him and she is a superhuman and Ra's Al Ghual is just a human. Shouldn't Batman have fought Ra's Al ghul?WW should had faced Bizzaro instead of BM?
    The story practically screamed for it. Diana gets beaten down by Bizarro. Okay, it happens. In team books you often see a hero hit the mat because you have to make it look like they are facing a threat bigger than any one of them can handle alone. Otherwise it would just be the Avengers/JL sitting around watching while Thor/Superman cleaned the bad guys clocks for them.

But that being the case Wonder Woman deserved a rematch with Bizarro. He beat her once because he is stronger. Fine. But Diana has warrior skills galore and can fight with her brain as well. Having her relegated to a second string physical threat like Ras was just insulting. Like Wagner using Batman to say "Sorry babe, you clearly out of your depth here. Step aside and keep that ninja guy busy - but try not to get hurt, 'kay?"
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”

I found these very difficult to look at the first time I ever saw them too.

Totally agree with this! As someone who has only read this old comic in the past year, I had been hoping for this discussion to naturally come up on the board without me forcing it.

I don't think that Trinity even had any ill intentions toward Wonder Woman. Diana was portrayed as a more reasonable character than Bruce, who was pretty much written as Batdick in some parts of the story. And as stupid as it was for Diana to physically struggle against Ra's at the end, I can chalk that up to the inconsistency and lack of thought that many writers have while handling her (the biggest example being her vulnerability to knives and bullets, while being able survive Superman punches). I really wanted to love that story when I bought it, and I still generally like it. But as a fan of all three members of the Trinity, I have to say that middle issue was rough.

All those things you mentioned happened, and more. Don't forget that Ra's al Ghul's no-name henchwoman also impaled Diana with a spear, critically injuring her and forcing her to take a dip in the Lazarus Pit. The end of the issue had Diana emerging from the pit with a crazed look on her face that was hardly befitting of the Amazon Princess. It was one thing after another. Issue #2 seemed like a long gauntlet of torture for Diana.

Anyone know why this happened? Was it truly Superman/Batman fanboying? A subconscious perception of Diana as a damsel in distress? Or just a few unfortunate choices that the writer didn't think too deeply about?

It was an elseworld, not fitting into the post-crisis continuity. So I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

BANNED

I thought that was a pretty good story; Bizzaro is negative Superman; before that, every portrayal of Bizzaro showed him as some sort of an idiot or something. As for Wonder Woman, being brazen just seems to catch up with you at some point; sooner or later, you meet your match; just be thankful that death doesn't accompany your lesson, as is often the case.

Quote Originally Posted by dshipp17 View Post
    I thought that was a pretty good story; Bizzaro is negative Superman; before that, every portrayal of Bizzaro showed him as some sort of an idiot or something. As for Wonder Woman, being brazen just seems to catch up with you at some point; sooner or later, you meet your match; just be thankful that death doesn't accompany your lesson, as is often the case.
    I dont think folks are complaining about Diana's character. Their lack of enthusiasm for the story seems more centered around the writer changing how her powers and abilities work so that she gets smacked around a lot.