Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default The potential reason why Cartoon Network pulled the DC Nation block

I came across a piece citing a potential explanation for Cartoon Network's current removal of the DC Nation block:

TV: Did the Milestone characters kill DC Nation?

DC Nation was suddenly pulled from Cartoon Network’s schedule last week with a date sometime early next year announced for its return. The highly popular block featured Young Justice, Green Lantern: The Animated Series and a series of minute long shorts starring various DC characters from every spectrum.

The sudden disappearance upset a few and trumped many other announcements during New York Comic Con weekend.

Now word is coming out that negotiations between DC and Milestone Media may be the reason for the block’s sudden disappearance. Static, Icon and Rocket have started to appear in episodes of Young Justice, but with rights issues murky at best, they may delay production of the series until those issues are ironed out.

Even up until earlier this year, the characters of Milestone regularly made appearances as part of Static Shock, a launch New 52 title. But with poor reviews and a cancellation after issue eight, the Milestone heroes were left without a place in the New 52 DC universe. Since that time, many fans questioned whether DC would continue to use the characters.

If this is truly the reason for DC Nation’s sudden departure, fans can only hope for a quick negotiation between DC and the Milestone Media conglomerate.
    LINK

Even Bleeding Cool has cited this as one of the potential reasons:

1. Young Justice is the biggest problem

Young Justice characters like Static and Rocket were created as part of Milestone, the DC imprint designed to reset the balance of ethnic representation in comic books. I’m no expert on the ins and outs of it, but we’re hearing there’s a rights issue here, with extra royalties due for the use of these characters – and particularly in respect of them appearing on merchandise.
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/10/...just-vanished/

Given the timing of recent events, this sadly seems more likely, especially as the abrupt postponement was done right before this particular episode.

The reason this may have affected the entire block is because this series is the anchor of the whole of DC Nation. It draws in viewers to the entire block, boosting both GL and segments such as the shorts. The block airing without Young Justice could mean a huge drop in ratings for Green Lantern and DC Nation as a whole.

Hopefully, this all gets resolved soon.

Now that's interesting but it doesn't really make me any less annoyed at CN for not making anyone aware of the situation nor for them going ahead and airing two episodes despite that. They had to know that going into the "new season" so there was no reason for them to air those episodes in my honest opinion. In fact I suspect those other delays had something to do with this as well. It's no skin off my nose though since I've decided to stop watching CN as a result of this.
    Characters come and go, revamped and revisited. But as long as you enjoyed them, remember them and continue to appreciate them, then that character, your hero or heroine, will always exist.

BANNED

They said in NYCC there would be more Milestone stuff in 2013. So my guess is that for some contractual reason I'm not sure of, they're waiting until next year to renew the deal. That's why DC Nation would return in January.

IT just makes no sense that they would pull both of them when only YJ is the problem
    Check out the Comicfrontline
    The Self-destruction of New 52 FINAL PART
    Click here
    Check out Batwatchhttp://batwatch.net/

Quote Originally Posted by ArnoldoAAD View Post
    IT just makes no sense that they would pull both of them when only YJ is the problem
    Unless CN is planning to focus on their 20th anniversary stuff for now.

Since 2013 is the 20th anniversary of Milestone starting up. Could this delay play into that? Static's appearance on YJ could fit in the week Milestone started and McDuffie's death?

It seems unlikely that any problems with the deal between DC/Warner and Milestone would affect the show and it's broadcasting as the contracts for the show have already been signed and the show produced. They could have an effect on potential future seasons of the show but not the current season.
    D-Deadman! You killed Deadman!!

Dark Knight Detective DarkKnghtJared's Avatar

I think the difference between the solicited cover for #21 of the Young Justice comic and the released cover further proves that point:

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnghtJared View Post
    I think the difference between the solicited cover for #21 of the Young Justice comic and the released cover further proves that point
    Well Rocket is in the issue so I don't see how changes to the cover prove anything.

Edit: My bad she wasn't in the issue I went back and checked she was in #20 but not #21.
    Last edited by Jadenewt; 10-18-2012 at 07:02 PM.
    D-Deadman! You killed Deadman!!

It has been said that the tv rights and the publishing rights are different beasts by other Milestone co-founder ... People are reaching with this one, if rights were the issues they would have pulled the DVD because Rocket and Icon appear, taken YJ off all VoD services, and changes to the upcoming video game would be made because Rocket is a playable character.

The whole block is gone, think about that for a second CN with access to all DC shows took off the whole block... There have been times when YJ has been in reruns and GL has had premiers so that can't be an excuse. More than likely they are going to retool the block after January is YJ canceled.... well it is not renewed yet........

It's wrong and does not make any sense. The guy at Bleeding Cool has no idea what he is talking about and the other reasons he states aren't even worth the effort if typing to reute them.

I almost wanted to cry when this all came out.

Sadly, if it is issues about rights, it would be sadly ironic considering that I'm sure some of it, adding the Milestone characters, was done to remember Dwayne McDuffie and his approach to adding diversity to television. I hope they get this aired out soon, not just because I want to see these wonderful shows, but because it seems sad that part of the problem may have come from this continuation of what McDuffie started.

However, I'm sure some of it is also on CN's part. They want to wait and see and make room for January.

The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

Well I don't think it helped that they used a currently verboten character by DC editorial. When creative talent may choose to utilize properties that aren't allowed, those in charge might pull the plug.

*(I'm not allowed to go into further detail on order of a CBR moderator)*
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF (lol, 5 of my 8 titles all written by SOULE)

Quote Originally Posted by batGRRRl4ever View Post
    Well I don't think it helped that they used a currently verboten character by DC editorial. When creative talent may choose to utilize properties that aren't allowed, those in charge might pull the plug.

*(I'm not allowed to go into further detail on order of a CBR moderator)*
    My thing is, if they didn't want the characters being used, why let them be used in the first place? If they wanted to add some diversity, why not maybe just make up a character or something? Someone dropped the ball here. I can't blame the YJ writers because, really, if they weren't supposed to use the characters, they shouldn't have been allowed to for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by DattaBoy View Post
    It has been said that the tv rights and the publishing rights are different beasts by other Milestone co-founder ... People are reaching with this one, if rights were the issues they would have pulled the DVD because Rocket and Icon appear, taken YJ off all VoD services, and changes to the upcoming video game would be made because Rocket is a playable character.

The whole block is gone, think about that for a second CN with access to all DC shows took off the whole block... There have been times when YJ has been in reruns and GL has had premiers so that can't be an excuse. More than likely they are going to retool the block after January is YJ canceled.... well it is not renewed yet........
    I completely agree
    reading the article of bleedingcool i think #5 might be the most likely of all
    Check out the Comicfrontline
    The Self-destruction of New 52 FINAL PART
    Click here
    Check out Batwatchhttp://batwatch.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Jadenewt View Post
    Well Rocket is in the issue so I don't see how changes to the cover prove anything.
    I don't think Rocket appeared in the issue and Icon was only referred to as the Cooperative Delegation off world with the Lanterns and the Hawks.